• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police arrrest man who posted video of Alton Sterling's death

rocket88

Mod Conspiracy Theorist
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Police Arrest Man Who Posted Video of Alton Sterling's Death

The man who was instrumental to making the first released recording of the Alton Sterling shooting go viral was arrested less than 24 hours later on charges of “assault and battery,” a move that he says was an act of police retaliation

What about his First Amendment rights?

Looks like he actually did have outstanding warrants. He paid his fines, and was released.

Here's some advice for the future: If you have outstanding warrants for traffic tickets and driving with a revoked license, and you've been able to evade arrest so far, don't go on social media with a high profile video from a high profile event, and expect to continue to evade arrest. Warrants for your arrest will not lose their memory and forget about what you did when you broke the law way back when.

So - no conspiracy.

go_to_jail.jpg

The man who was instrumental to making the first released recording of the Alton Sterling shooting go viral was arrested less than 24 hours later on charges of “assault and battery,” a move that he says was an act of police retaliation

So far, no one else is reporting this story, besides 2 very biased websites.
Let's wait until the facts come out.

Hard to judge these things from a far. It does sound a stupid move though, if there was any discretion and he did not have to be arraigned.

The guy who shot the Eric Garner video was arrested too, coming out of a drug house late at night.

People who are from the hood who don't commit crime don't stand around and film when the cops show up, they haul ass in the opposite direction.

This is unrelated, but that reminds me of the time some girl robbed a bank and stole a car, and actually posted a video on YouTube about it, with her literally flaunting the cash she stole in front of the camera.

Not too bright is a common accolade for those that would do such a thing - AKA, not the brightest lamp in the hall.

This guy is just trying to extend his 15 minutes of fame, and doing so with something that to a normal person would rhyme with fame, but is spelled with an "SH" instead of an "F."

Assault and battery isn't protected by the 1st Amendment.

His right to post the video is. And if you read the article (which you just proved you didn't), he ended up not being arrested for assault, but for something else.

Looks like he actually did have outstanding warrants. He paid his fines, and was released.

Here's some advice for the future: If you have outstanding warrants for traffic tickets and driving with a revoked license, and you've been able to evade arrest so far, don't go on social media with a high profile video from a high profile event, and expect to continue to evade arrest. Warrants for your arrest will not lose their memory and forget about what you did when you broke the law way back when.

So - no conspiracy.

go_to_jail.jpg

Here's what bigs me - it's a coincidence that they finally decided to get him for outstanding tickets immediately after he posted the video?

His right to post the video is. And if you read the article (which you just proved you didn't), he ended up not being arrested for assault, but for something else.

If he was arrested for something else you shouldn't have said he was arrested for assault and battery.

So, breaking the law isn't protected by the 1st Amendment. Happy?

Have to wonder where the request to have him detained for assault and battery came from and was the original lesser charge/warrant serious enough to justify military authorities detaining him(besides other security issues)at work. Was this normal proceedure ?

The story of Donna Jane Watts comes to mind.

Here's what bigs me - it's a coincidence that they finally decided to get him for outstanding tickets immediately after he posted the video?
Does it matter when they got him? All law-breakers deserve to face justice. Period.

If he was arrested for something else you shouldn't have said he was arrested for assault and battery.

So, breaking the law isn't protected by the 1st Amendment. Happy?

It's not my fault you didn't read.

Have to wonder where the request to have him detained for assault and battery came from and was the original lesser charge/warrant serious enough to justify military authorities detaining him(besides other security issues)at work. Was this normal proceedure ?

The story of Donna Jane Watts comes to mind.
Donna Watts is a perfect example to bring up here.

She should've got a bigger settlement. It's estimated over 250 cops from jurisdictions all over the county broke the law here (plus the original scofflaw cop).

To think she had to move for doing the people's work.

This is nothing to do with 1A rights! :doh

The guy had outstanding warrants, for Crissakes!

So - no conspiracy.

go_to_jail.jpg
No, but whether through systematic or personal response, the message is clear: Post a video of a cop, and if you have any blemishes or issues in your past they will be immediately brought forward.

The key point is:

"Would any other non-descript individual have been pursued in the same manner?"

If not, then this is selective law enforcement for law enforcement's personal motivations. And given that the tickets were not pursued earlier over the years, that would seem to be the case here.

It's more likely that they found him when he posted the video and it was shown (with his name printed in the corner of the video) on every news cast and every web site that had a story about the police shooting. He did the same as going to the police HQ, jumping up and down, and saying 'Hey look at me!!!'

I don't see a conspiracy or even coincidence. He made himself extremely visible in the public, and that's what got him tagged for his outstanding warrants. The only part the video played, was that he posted it under his real name, and took copyright credit for it, which let the police know where to find him. It had nothing to do with retribution.

No, but whether through systematic or personal response, the message is clear: Post a video of a cop, and if you have any blemishes or issues in your past they will be immediately brought forward.

The key point is:

"Would any other non-descript individual have been pursued in the same manner?"

If not, then this is selective law enforcement for law enforcement's personal motivations. And given that the tickets were not pursued earlier over the years, that would seem to be the case here.

We already have the answer to your proffer, in that many others have posted videos of similar events and met no reprisal or pursuit by police. I presume that is because they, unlike this young man, did not have outstanding warrants. But, that isn't as sexy as creating a narrative of "the man" oppressing us for publically voicing our disapproval of, and exposing to the public, his actions.

He had the right to pay his fines and not be jailed.

Have you considered that?

We already have the answer to your proffer, in that many others have posted videos of similar events and met no reprisal or pursuit by police. I presume that is because they, unlike this young man, did not have outstanding warrants. But, that isn't as sexy as creating a narrative of "the man" oppressing us for publically voicing our disapproval of, and exposing to the public, his actions.
As I stated above, the issue I see here is selective enforcement.

The guy goes years without pursuit or enforcement, he posts a video (possibly) against a cop's actions, and bam they're coming after him. This is the problem I see, and it may constrain other citizens with blemishes or worse from coming forward.

And remember, these infractions & warrants involved were (apparently) non-criminal traffic enforcement - not criminality (not that the level of warrant should matter for the thrust of my point). For all we know, he didn't have the money to pay his fines.

He had the right to pay his fines and not be jailed.

Have you considered that?
I believe the issue here is one of selective enforcement - years went by without pursuit or action, until he posted his video, then they immediately came after him.

We want to encourage the citizenry to come forward with evidence of possible criminality, not dissuade them!

I believe the issue here is one of selective enforcement - years went by without pursuit or action, until he posted his video, then they immediately came after him.

We want to encourage the citizenry to come forward with evidence of possible criminality, not dissuade them!

Cops will not go house to house looking for a guy with built up minor violations. They know that he will get pulled over soon enough.

It's more likely that they found him when he posted the video and it was shown (with his name printed in the corner of the video) on every news cast and every web site that had a story about the police shooting. He did the same as going to the police HQ, jumping up and down, and saying 'Hey look at me!!!'

I don't see a conspiracy or even coincidence. He made himself extremely visible in the public, and that's what got him tagged for his outstanding warrants. The only part the video played, was that he posted it under his real name, and took copyright credit for it, which let the police know where to find him. It had nothing to do with retribution.

LOL. There is no evidence he wasn't easy to find before the video - if he had a job on the books and he did, then I'm positive any police officer with a desire can find him with a couple of keystrokes.

And it defies belief that a normal person facing some traffic tickets just so happens to be taken into custody AT WORK and given a BS original charge for all those AT WORK watching him get arrested (if what the person claims is true and they told him when being arrested it was for an assault charge).

The police saw his name, ran his record, saw he had outstanding warrants, and arrested him in the way that would do him the most harm - at work by his employer's personnel. We can be adults here and admit it was a bit of cop retribution against someone they didn't care for much. I'll admit it's his own fault for throwing rocks at the police while you have a warrant, but we don't have to pretend that the police weren't engaged in some pretty clear retribution here.

Back
Top Bottom