• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police arrrest man who posted video of Alton Sterling's death

That's not what I'm talking about and that's not what I'm saying. Honest, non-criminal people should not think twice about videoing and then publishing the video on line of police officers. However, if they've broken the law at some point in the past and are a fugitive from justice with outstanding warrants for their arrest, they should neither be surprised nor complain when they are arrested.

I have no problem with people videoing the police, and in fact applaud those who do. All I said was, if you have outstanding warrants, and you don't want to get arrested, then you'd better stay below the radar, and not put very high profile videos on the internet under their own name.

You guys really don't get what I'm saying. And, that's sad. You both are asking me questions or putting forth statements as if I said something completely different - as if I'm saying that no one should hold the government accountable, or as you said, people who witness what they believe to be government malfeasance have to think twice. I never said that. What I said was: "... people that have outstanding warrants (should) think twice before making yourself a national figure in the media" if they do not want to get arrested. Which is what this thread is about. They guy had outstanding warrants and he's bitching about some supposed conspiracy by the police to arrest him. They arrested him because he had outstanding warrants. If didn't have outstanding warrants, he would not had been arrested. Once he paid his fines, he was released.

Are you guys saying that people should not be arrested when they have outstanding warrants just because they posted a video online of what they thought was police malfeasance?

Okay I apologize for misunderstanding you and I'm glad that you support people videoing the government in action.

On the other hand I think you're missing my point that the officers' motivations in running his name and finding the warrants in the first place was purely for revenge. Finding that he had warrants yes they should have acted but I can't separate the arrest for outstanding warrants from the initial motivation to look into him. Truth is if the government looks close enough they can probably find something on all of us if for no other reason than we are all subject to so many regulations that
we undoubtedly violate some without even knowing it. And that's what worries me. Even people who believe they are completely clean may start worrying that by being critical of police they'll get second and third looks from the local PD.

As a personal case in point about not knowing that you're violating the law when I was younger I had my license suspended for not paying taxes on a used car I bought. I had stupidly had my check to DMV for the taxes returned (I was very bad with my checking account at the time) and was sent a bill for the taxes from the department of finance which I paid. Unfortunately it turned out that the department of finance, along with sending me a bill also asked the DMV to suspend my license and apparently forgot to tell them to unsuspend it. I was pulled over one night by the police for some minor violation and the cop said to me "do you know you're driving with a suspended license?" "No." He then told me that it appeared to be for a returned check to DMV - I explained what happened and he basically said "Okay, no sweat, just get it straightened out." I mentioned to him that no one even told me my license was suspended and his response was "they don't. Most people find out they have a suspended license when they get pulled over for something else." I had been driving around for months on a suspended and didn't even know it. The cop could have really busted my balls if he wanted to. Lucky for me I got a nice guy who'd done similarly stupid things as a young man.

The guy really isn't a criminal. He didn't pay some parking tickets - that's a violation of administrative, not criminal, law and issuing a warrant for something that a private company would handle through civil court is in and of itself abusive - but that's another story.

Okay I apologize for misunderstanding you and I'm glad that you support people videoing the government in action.

On the other hand I think you're missing my point that the officers' motivations in running his name and finding the warrants in the first place was purely for revenge. Finding that he had warrants yes they should have acted but I can't separate the arrest for outstanding warrants from the initial motivation to look into him. Truth is if the government looks close enough they can probably find something on all of us if for no other reason than we are all subject to so many regulations that
we undoubtedly violate some without even knowing it. And that's what worries me. Even people who believe they are completely clean may start worrying that by being critical of police they'll get second and third looks from the local PD.

As a personal case in point about not knowing that you're violating the law when I was younger I had my license suspended for not paying taxes on a used car I bought. I had stupidly had my check to DMV for the taxes returned (I was very bad with my checking account at the time) and was sent a bill for the taxes from the department of finance which I paid. Unfortunately it turned out that the department of finance, along with sending me a bill also asked the DMV to suspend my license and apparently forgot to tell them to unsuspend it. I was pulled over one night by the police for some minor violation and the cop said to me "do you know you're driving with a suspended license?" "No." He then told me that it appeared to be for a returned check to DMV - I explained what happened and he basically said "Okay, no sweat, just get it straightened out." I mentioned to him that no one even told me my license was suspended and his response was "they don't. Most people find out they have a suspended license when they get pulled over for something else." I had been driving around for months on a suspended and didn't even know it. The cop could have really busted my balls if he wanted to. Lucky for me I got a nice guy who'd done similarly stupid things as a young man.

The guy really isn't a criminal. He didn't pay some parking tickets - that's a violation of administrative, not criminal, law and issuing a warrant for something that a private company would handle through civil court is in and of itself abusive - but that's another story.

Thanks, and I'm glad we're on the same page now.

The reason they ran his name could have been for numerous reasons, including revenge, however, I don't see how it could be revenge if the young man himself made the choices that led to him breaking the law which resulted in him having outstanding warrants. No one made up anything, as they used to do in the first half of the 1900's up until the 1960's and in some locations into the early 1970's. Revenge didn't create the warrants, and it's the duty of police to investigate, which in this case led to this guy being arrested for his crimes for which he had outstanding warrants.

I don't know why they ran his name, but they did. Maybe someone recognized it? Maybe they run the names of anyone that comes to their attention? I know for a fact that they run the name of everyone with whom they come into official contact - traffic stops, encounters on the streets or sidewalks, and when they are called out to a request for assistance like a call to 911 which is the reason the two officers were at the store where this guy made the video. Usually they will run the names of everyone they come into contact with for wants and warrants. I have a feeling they simply did the same thing with this guy. But, that doesn't feed the narrative of evil cops after the black man.

That's not what I'm talking about and that's not what I'm saying. Honest, non-criminal people should not think twice about videoing and then publishing the video on line of police officers. However, if they've broken the law at some point in the past and are a fugitive from justice with outstanding warrants for their arrest, they should neither be surprised nor complain when they are arrested.

I have no problem with people videoing the police, and in fact applaud those who do. All I said was, if you have outstanding warrants, and you don't want to get arrested, then you'd better stay below the radar, and not put very high profile videos on the internet under their own name.

You guys really don't get what I'm saying. And, that's sad. You both are asking me questions or putting forth statements as if I said something completely different - as if I'm saying that no one should hold the government accountable, or as you said, people who witness what they believe to be government malfeasance have to think twice. I never said that. What I said was: "... people that have outstanding warrants (should) think twice before making yourself a national figure in the media" if they do not want to get arrested. Which is what this thread is about. They guy had outstanding warrants and he's bitching about some supposed conspiracy by the police to arrest him. They arrested him because he had outstanding warrants. If didn't have outstanding warrants, he would not had been arrested. Once he paid his fines, he was released.

Are you guys saying that people should not be arrested when they have outstanding warrants just because they posted a video online of what they thought was police malfeasance?

The guy isn't alleging a 'conspiracy' just making a common sense observation that getting arrested AT WORK for what he claims the cop said was assault and battery, the day after he posts a video isn't likely to be a coincidence, but instead was the police 'targeting' him for 'special' treatment based on the content of the video, and his general activism.

Bottom line is issuing an arrest warrant for unpaid traffic fines is discretionary and having him arrested at work, on a trumped up charge, is also very discretionary, and both appear to be options chosen as retribution for his political views and what he posted online. If you don't believe LeDay's story about the stated charge being the firing offense of 'assault and battery' then fine, say so. But if he's telling the truth and the cops told the military police a trumped up and baseless charge as the reason to involve several of them in an arrest as he is going through security on base, then it's impossible to defend what happened to him, even though he WAS liable for the fines.

No one argues that they had no 'right' to arrest him just that there was clearly and obviously an element of retribution in how it was handled and the timing.

Conservatives be like, yeah we want a smaller less intrusive federal government and states rights! Unless of course that federal government is using ten military police officers to arrest a black man for parking violations.

:lamo

....LeDay was surrounded and detained by ten military police officers, some of whom carried M-16 rifles....

Conservatives be like, yeah we want a smaller less intrusive federal government and states rights! Unless of course that federal government is using ten military police officers to arrest a black man for parking violations.

:lamo

MP's arrest civilians for parking tickets?

MP's arrest civilians for parking tickets?

Seemed over the top to me too. To some others, calling a person's employer, telling them a trumped up charge of assault, then having him arrested at work by 10 MPs for some outstanding traffic fines is the kind of behavior we should expect out of our police...

His right to post the video is. And if you read the article (which you just proved you didn't), he ended up not being arrested for assault, but for something else.

If somebody posts a video like this one, should they have their warrants dismissed automatically?

Your post here implies that.

Are you upset he was arrested for his warrants?

Here's what bigs me - it's a coincidence that they finally decided to get him for outstanding tickets immediately after he posted the video?

Police will arrest anybody they can get their hands on that has warrants.

Why should this guy be any different?

You don't find the timing convenient?

He was running. Once they knew where he was they got him.

If you do something wrong and jump in front of the police waving your arms, don't be surprised when they get you.

LOL. There is no evidence he wasn't easy to find before the video - if he had a job on the books and he did, then I'm positive any police officer with a desire can find him with a couple of keystrokes.

And it defies belief that a normal person facing some traffic tickets just so happens to be taken into custody AT WORK and given a BS original charge for all those AT WORK watching him get arrested (if what the person claims is true and they told him when being arrested it was for an assault charge).

The police saw his name, ran his record, saw he had outstanding warrants, and arrested him in the way that would do him the most harm - at work by his employer's personnel. We can be adults here and admit it was a bit of cop retribution against someone they didn't care for much. I'll admit it's his own fault for throwing rocks at the police while you have a warrant, but we don't have to pretend that the police weren't engaged in some pretty clear retribution here.

Exactly, his name ran across their desk so they went out to get him.

When a ticket goes to warrant, they usually just wait for him to get stopped again, but if he announces his presence to them, they will go get him.

Given the timing someone certainly ran his name because of his post. He wouldn't have gotten tagged had he kept his mouth shut. Whether that makes it retaliatory or not is in the eye of beholder. It is certain to make others think twice before posting something that calls cops into question and that is unacceptable.

He made himself part of the case and of course the police want to see who they are dealing with.

The guy filmed the interaction. He could have been a witness.

Why wouldn't they run his name?

My BIL told me he used to grab turnstile jumpers at the start of his shift. Not because it's a major crime, but because he hoped when he hauled him to the station that the jumper had outstanding warrants.

No, I doubt they "run" me when I post FB videos because I'm posting FB videos of my kids and dogs, not the PD. If I ran a video of a police man on FB, he'd be free to check me out. If I ran a video of my neighbor peeing in the bushes, he should have the right to check me out too. If they want to run me because of the videos of my dogs playing with toys, they should do that if they feel it's necessary, and I really won't care. Unlike this idiot, I don't have anything to hide.

They may have run him because someone recognized the name. Or maybe they ran him because they wanted to know who he was. Or maybe they hoped he wasn't a deranged maniac like the racist bastard who killed 5 of their brethren.

This cop paranoia is so out of hand. No wonder they're in fear of their lives.

No, I don't see your point.

The police generally run the name and background of any witnesses to crimes. This was no different.

Selective enforcement is wrong.

All witnesses to a crime will get their names run for the police to see who they are dealing with.

That is not hard to understand.

It happens every day.

Then maybe you need to move to Cuba to find freedom, but what you have ain't 'freedom" all that killing all over the world to promote a police state.

And enough American bragging about 'democracy", you people clearly have no ****ing idea what i is.

No wonder you NO say in how things are done.

Then maybe you need to move to Cuba to find freedom, but what you have ain't 'freedom" all that killing all over the world to promote a police state.

And enough American bragging about 'democracy", you people clearly have no ****ing idea what i is.

No wonder you NO say in how things are done.

For the record I live in Mexico where I don't have to worry when there is a police car behind me.

How can you say that.

All witnesses in a case like this have to be investigated. It is possible they will have to be called at a future time to testify.

This guy was right there close enough to video it, so he would be the first person to ask what happened.

Thanks, and I'm glad we're on the same page now.

The reason they ran his name could have been for numerous reasons, including revenge, however, I don't see how it could be revenge if the young man himself made the choices that led to him breaking the law which resulted in him having outstanding warrants. No one made up anything, as they used to do in the first half of the 1900's up until the 1960's and in some locations into the early 1970's. Revenge didn't create the warrants, and it's the duty of police to investigate, which in this case led to this guy being arrested for his crimes for which he had outstanding warrants.

I don't know why they ran his name, but they did. Maybe someone recognized it? Maybe they run the names of anyone that comes to their attention? I know for a fact that they run the name of everyone with whom they come into official contact - traffic stops, encounters on the streets or sidewalks, and when they are called out to a request for assistance like a call to 911 which is the reason the two officers were at the store where this guy made the video. Usually they will run the names of everyone they come into contact with for wants and warrants. I have a feeling they simply did the same thing with this guy. But, that doesn't feed the narrative of evil cops after the black man.

Heck, the police cars do that automatically now with plate scanners. More names are run per day than ever before.

The guy isn't alleging a 'conspiracy' just making a common sense observation that getting arrested AT WORK for what he claims the cop said was assault and battery, the day after he posts a video isn't likely to be a coincidence, but instead was the police 'targeting' him for 'special' treatment based on the content of the video, and his general activism.

Bottom line is issuing an arrest warrant for unpaid traffic fines is discretionary and having him arrested at work, on a trumped up charge, is also very discretionary, and both appear to be options chosen as retribution for his political views and what he posted online. If you don't believe LeDay's story about the stated charge being the firing offense of 'assault and battery' then fine, say so. But if he's telling the truth and the cops told the military police a trumped up and baseless charge as the reason to involve several of them in an arrest as he is going through security on base, then it's impossible to defend what happened to him, even though he WAS liable for the fines.

No one argues that they had no 'right' to arrest him just that there was clearly and obviously an element of retribution in how it was handled and the timing.

No it isn't. The ticket goes to warrant when not paid automatically.

Who is it you think makes that decision?

No it isn't. The ticket goes to warrant when not paid automatically.

Who is it you think makes that decision?

In North Carolina its called a Bench Warrant, which is automatic by law for a "called and failed" which is what this is. His name and case number were called in court and he failed to answer the call to answer the charges - either pay the fine (plead guilty) or argue his innocence (confront the states charges in open court). The judge, at the end of the day or at the time each occurs, signs all the bench warrants that are required by law to be automatically generated. There is no discretion involved by or for anyone.

In North Carolina its called a Bench Warrant, which is automatic by law for a "called and failed" which is what this is. His name and case number were called in court and he failed to answer the call to answer the charges - either pay the fine (plead guilty) or argue his innocence (confront the states charges in open court). The judge, at the end of the day or at the time each occurs, signs all the bench warrants that are required by law to be automatically generated. There is no discretion involved by or for anyone.

Yes that is way, I would guess it happens in most places, but what I don't get is people's desire to defend criminals with such fervor.

He posted a video of this case so he couldn't possibly ave done anything wrong in his life, and if he did, he should not be held responsible.

I just don't get it.

Yes that is way, I would guess it happens in most places, but what I don't get is people's desire to defend criminals with such fervor.

He posted a video of this case so he couldn't possibly ave done anything wrong in his life, and if he did, he should not be held responsible.

I just don't get it.

You're not the only one that doesn't get it.

All it does is make people that have outstanding warrants think twice before making yourself a national figure in the media. There are dozens of people that put videos about cops on the internet almost every day, and they don't get arrested for outstanding warrants, because they don't have any outstanding warrants.

He had outstanding warrants. Period.

It's possible for both the police and the filmer to have acted improperly. That seems to be the case here.

Please explain how the police acted improperly here?

By seeking retribution in an attempt to stifle those who would question police action. Seems pretty clear to me. That's bad for the country.

Back
Top Bottom