• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poker

When I made the Poker Club i named it "Debate Politics Poker" but it shows up as #856154 which kinda sucks..

I noticed MIT has a club and its observable. They have a poker class evidently and participation and standing in that club is part of the grade.

How cool is that?

Is the login information working? I still can't get that to work.

Are you using the password with the "E" in Eco" capitalized? It worked for him.

Yeah.
Just to make sure...
1. I'm on the "Home Games" tab
2. Middle of the page at the left is a "Join a Poker Club" button I click
3. Login screen comes up
4. I plug in 856154 (also tried #856154)
5. I plug in the PW (tried capital E, Lower E, etc.)
6. Message says "The user ID and Password you have entered do not match. Please try again"

- edit -

Never mind. I finally realized that I needed to set up an account first.

Last edited:
Whoo hoo. Name it right, and logo is next. I am grinding up some playmoney with which to beat you suckers. ;)

pokers.png

Im in our homegame club... so wed be heads up. but if you want to go sit with others we can do that too... there is a player search. Which would you prefer?

Im in our homegame club... so wed be heads up. but if you want to go sit with others we can do that too... there is a player search. Which would you prefer?

Let's sit with others, 6 seat. Is there a friend list/invite? I don't see such.

Ok, so, spell the name right and it's easy to organize joining a table and I suppose creating one.

Ok, so, spell the name right and it's easy to organize joining a table and I suppose creating one.

I forgot until today that Stars has a second client you download from pokerstars.net. (as opposed to .com) which is play money only. Same player base. Same software. Just no real money option which we can't use even if we want to.

Just fyi

I forgot until today that Stars has a second client you download from pokerstars.net. (as opposed to .com) which is play money only. Same player base. Same software. Just no real money option which we can't use even if we want to.

Just fyi

How about some of those all-ins last night? We (jj and qq) were beat by a Kx, and we saw something like T7o, 85o and J5o all-in against each other.

How about some of those all-ins last night? We (jj and qq) were beat by a Kx, and we saw something like T7o, 85o and J5o all-in against each other.

That's what happens when there are no painful consequences to losing. People (even in low limit cash games) will play rags pre-flop just because they can and hit something 10% of the time. The psychology of it, though, is if you're playing a strong ace or respectable pair against them it feels like they're hitting 90% of the time.

The play at 1/2 playmoney is beyond terrible. But of course that makes it amazingly simple to work up a roll.

I still think the private tournament idea is cool. Our club area has a standings which I will obviously dominate. :shock:

That's so cool.

It would be cooler if we could embed them here... but wed need some mod to let us post flash... dangerous i assume.

This is the vBulletin code to embed them:
[flash]http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/flash/replayer.swf?pokerhandid=5371434[/flash]

Calling with a nut flush draw is rather weak, I was bored. My best hand that night was the qq, just a couple slicks. I was also a gut.

Last edited:
Calling with a nut flush draw is rather weak, I was bored. My best hand that night was the qq, just a couple slicks. I was also a gut.

You had something like 54% equity in that pot... You had 15 possible outs: 9 spades, three fours, and three aces. The pot was giving you 3:1 on your final bet.

Your call was correct. Do that every time.

I think the only mistake you made wasn't jamming the flop before I did.

I was the only one playing that hand badly.

You had something like 54% equity in that pot... You had 15 possible outs: 9 spades, three fours, and three aces. The pot was giving you 3:1 on your final bet.

Your call was correct. Do that every time.

I think the only mistake you made wasn't jamming the flop before I did.

I was the only one playing that hand badly.

I don't like betting draws. I consider standard flush draw calls (~40% ftw) to be weak; it's a coin flip, like betting all-in pre-flop with a slick (which I should do more often) or small pair (I over-bet those pre-flop for set calls). With the flush and straight (preferably open) draw, it's not easily dropped. If I bet with a set, I'm happy to get flush draw calls; thus, being on the other side doesn't make sense.

Do you call all-in preflop with jj?

Do you play k8 if cheap?

Do you call all-in preflop with jj?

Do you play k8 if cheap?

The JJ situation is hand dependent. It will be pretty unusual for me to fold JJ pre. But there are a few situations I would fold (very grudgingly) to an all in bet preflop. If I am playing at a cash table full of nits with full stacks and it is 4 ways with the all in being a four bet... That about as easy to fold as it will get. Still not too easy.

K8 is a standard fold from almost all positions. On the button I'll raise an unopened pot and I'll complete a small blind in a heavily limped pot, but other than that its a fold.

The JJ situation is hand dependent. It will be pretty unusual for me to fold JJ pre. But there are a few situations I would fold (very grudgingly) to an all in bet preflop. If I am playing at a cash table full of nits with full stacks and it is 4 ways with the all in being a four bet... That about as easy to fold as it will get. Still not too easy.

It's presumably a 50/50 against a slick, or worse. I don't like calling with jj. I can do better than 50/50 for a stack.

Well... It just depends on so much. Is it ring, or a tourney? What are stack sizes...

We must consider ranges... Not individual situations.

Let's assume you've raises and a single player reraises all in...

What would your opponent shove with pre flop? If he's only shoving with QQ+, AQo+, AJs+ in this situation then you are a big dog against his range and folding is right.

Lets say your opponent is the average lo stakes playmoney player. Then id say his range looks more like 88+ A5s+ K9s* KT+ Now you crush his range and calling is right.

In the case your opponent is a drunk gambling fish shoving any two cards... Call. Every time. Always.

Tournament and cash strategy is somewhat different when playing for stacks.

It's presumably a 50/50 against a slick, or worse. I don't like calling with jj. I can do better than 50/50 for a stack.

cAPS has the right idea on this. A short stack is likely to go in with pretty much any A or any pair so calling them with JJ is a no brainer. If, on the other hand, you're against a stack 70% of yours or more heads up OR there was another caller ahead of you you're probably better off throwing them in.

Back
Top Bottom