• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pokemon...seriously?

_Sal

DP Veteran
Reaction score
somewhere across the border in the great North
Political Leaning
Liberal
WTF? I have heard vague whisperings about this game but really know nothing about it other than that it is the latest big addiction/rage...whatever.

So yesterday I am in our social room, doing an actual jigsaw puzzle that everyone in the building either contributes to if they desire, or gathers around if they want to talk, or checks out if they are interested in or steals pieces of if they are a dick.

we run the gamut in my building...

one of the yougsters who is 17 dropped in for a minute with his phone...apparently he had just returned from a Pokemon hunt "walk"

I like the kid so I actively listened for a few minutes, but really? something about training pokemons for combat and running (physically) all over the place

he couldn't stop playing, had no ideal of my interest level which was zero but

what is this thing?

anyone out there playing?

what is this thing?

My son tried to get me to play it, but, like you -- I'm not into it.

I saw it on his phone, however, and the pokemans are GPS oriented, so they can appear on your sidewalk, in your house, wherever. When he showed it to me, one was jumping at the edge of the pond. Odd.

But, as I understand it -- because it's a universal game -- others can see the locations of the pokemons that you see -- so -- what's to keep them from trampling through your garden to get them, I don't know.

I can see where kids, or young adults, might find it addictive, but I think I heard that someone was hit by a car or something while playing.

WTF? I have heard vague whisperings about this game but really know nothing about it other than that it is the latest big addiction/rage...whatever.

So yesterday I am in our social room, doing an actual jigsaw puzzle that everyone in the building either contributes to if they desire, or gathers around if they want to talk, or checks out if they are interested in or steals pieces of if they are a dick.

one of the yougsters who is 17 dropped in for a minute with his phone...apparently he had just returned from a Pokemon hunt "walk"

I like the kid so I actively listened for a few minutes, but really? something about training pokemons for combat and running (physically) all over the place

what is this thing?

Most of the people at my work at playing it. I had to ban cell phones for a few nights.

People are going crazy over those game finding real dead bodies, walking off cliffs, invading police stations and getting arrested.

I'm not playing it, nor will I. But I know at least a dozen people who are. From young adults, to teenagers, to little kids. They all love it, their only complaint is sometimes so many people are playing it the servers are too busy and they can't get on. I heard 1 person say they stayed up and tried all night to get on and play.

I'll say this for the game. At least with this video game the players are getting out, in the fresh air and walking around instead the usual video game environment, which is sitting in a stuffy airless room for hours/days and never walking or seeing the outdoors.

My son tried to get me to play it, but, like you -- I'm not into it.

I saw it on his phone, however, and the pokemans are GPS oriented, so they can appear on your sidewalk, in your house, wherever. When he showed it to me, one was jumping at the edge of the pond. Odd.

But, as I understand it -- because it's a universal game -- others can see the locations of the pokemons that you see -- so -- what's to keep them from trampling through your garden to get them, I don't know.

I can see where kids, or young adults, might find it addictive, but I think I heard that someone was hit by a car or something while playing.

oh....others can see them...now that's kind of crazy cool and explains this sign erected in Vancouver:

this-is-a-private-yard-for-tenants-of-this-building-3083577.jpg

what is this thing?

From my limited understanding it is an online game that makes you get off of your ass and venture out into the "real" world to play. The targets may be fictional but the locations (GPS coordinates?) are real and *gasp* you have to physically get up and go visit them. It is unclear to me who sets these "target" locations, or whether they are simply randomly generated, but if the game requires barging uninvited (trespassing?) onto (into?) private property then it may not end well.

From my limited understanding it is an online game that makes you get off of your ass and venture out into the "real" world to play. The targets may be fictional but the locations (GPS coordinates?) are real and *gasp* you have to physically get up and go visit them. It is unclear to me who sets these "target" locations, or whether they are simply randomly generated, but if the game requires barging uninvited (trespassing?) onto (into?) private property then it may not end well.

Just a few of the incidents from pokemon hunting

'Pokemon Go' players find corpse in San Diego park - LA Times

Men fall from cliff playing Pokémon Go - CNN.com

Pokémon Go sends players to police station, police say don?t come in | The Verge

I got caught cheating through Pokémon Go | New York Post

hell when did all of this start? :shock:

I 1st heard about it from my teenage niece about 2 weeks ago. Since then it seems like everyone I know(younger people) are playing it. I've even seen and heard about it on TV shows, and DJ's on the radio talking about it since then almost daily. There's a park about a block from us, now when I walk the dogs I see people wandering around the park with their eyes glued to their phones. I seen many people looking at their phones before, but just sitting or standing. Now they are wandering, walking, wandering. It's like they are in a trance... lol

I haven't looked but I'm guessing Nintendo's stock price has taken a healthy bump up over the past few weeks.

I 1st heard about it from my teenage niece about 2 weeks ago. Since then it seems like everyone I know(younger people) are playing it. I've even seen and heard about it on TV shows, and DJ's on the radio talking about it since then almost daily. There's a park about a block from us, now when I walk the dogs I see people wandering around the park with their eyes glued to their phones. I seen many people looking at their phones before, but just sitting or standing. Now they are wandering, walking, wandering. It's like they are in a trance... lol

I haven't looked but I'm guessing Nintendo's stock price has taken a healthy bump up over the past few weeks.

sometimes I think I must live in a cave

do they charge for this...or is the money going to be made on buying associated things such as t-shirts and stuffies and bowls and cups...

sometimes I think I must live in a cave

do they charge for this...or is the money going to be made on buying associated things such as t-shirts and stuffies and bowls and cups...

It's free. But if you want to buy 'gems; then you need to pay. I'm not sure what the gems are, or what they get the player, but I was told by a couple of people they needed to buy 'gems'.

It's free. But if you want to buy 'gems; then you need to pay. I'm not sure what the gems are, or what they get the player, but I was told by a couple of people they needed to buy 'gems'.

lmao....gems, I knew there had to be a catch...

from what I have just been reading 10 million people have uploaded within the last week

I am not touching this game with a barge pole, I feel addiction only millimeters away

Nintendo is simply taking advantage of the fact people are constantly staring at their phones anyway. Staring at your phone opens you up to all sorts of dangers.

Pokemon is potentially deadly.

this is the best explanation I have found so far

and as they say, you can buy and wear a Pokemon detector that picks up on nearby Pokemons

this is going to grow exponentially and could lead to some really advanced cool things

[video]http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/wtf-is-pokemon-go-explained-20160711[/video]

lmao....gems, I knew there had to be a catch...

from what I have just been reading 10 million people have uploaded within the last week

I am not touching this game with a barge pole, I feel addiction only millimeters away

Yeah, I'm guessing these gems make it easier to play the game, or get to the next level, or catch these little buggers. IDK. Obviously there was going to be a way for Nintendo to make a buck. That's cool, good for them.

If I need exercise I walk the dogs. It's free and there's no chance of addiction. lol

Nintendo is simply taking advantage of the fact people are constantly staring at their phones anyway. Staring at your phone opens you up to all sorts of dangers.

Pokemon is potentially deadly.

If not physically, at minimum, perhaps emotionally.

i just got my fingers slapped on FB because someone didn't like my comments on the game and said I was being insensitive to people with autism...wtf...

geez already we have people becoming defensive about it's uses

honest to god people

Pokémon Go Nintendo Stock: Does The Huge Rise In NTDOY Make Sense?

I'd call more than 50%, or 12 Billion, more than a bump!

If I need exercise I walk the dogs. It's free and there's no chance of addiction. lol

When This Animal Shelter Asked Pokémon Go Players To Walk Their Dogs, They Didn’t Expect This | Bored Panda

what is this thing?

I play the game. It is a fun game. Like anything else, people go overboard with it. These are cute little monsters that are found at random locations. I took three kids out in our neighborhood playing this game. It was like a scavenger hunt for them and they really had a great time (and I have to say, I had a great time too). Not a bad game. A cool concept. A good way to get some of these video gamers out of the house and walking a little bit.

what is this thing?

Playing, no. Pokemon Go was launched in the US on July 6, and now there are so many users it's crashing the servers. It has taken our culture by storm.

It amounts to this, as I understand it. One must use a GPS enabled device such as an iPhone to go out and find areas designated to be pokemon (pocket monster) hunting grounds. These areas are usually sites of public significance, such as museums. As you approach an area you picture the scene on your phone and an animated pokemon will appear on the phone blended into the scene (but not in reality unless you've gone psychotic). You then capture that pokemon with poke-ball by tossing it by swiping your phone screen or some such. Once captured the pokemon can be trained, evolved, etc., to be more capable of winning fights with other pokemon.

pokemon screenshot.jpg

The squirtle is to be captured by flipping the poke-ball (at the bottom) his way.

Other phone screens show a fairly standard GPS display with points of pokemon interest. So the gameplay is to walk to the various pokemon haunts and capture them, rinse and repeat. The rest is to train and fight them, which is also done at certain outdoor sites.

Playing, no. Pokemon Go was launched in the US on July 6, and now there are so many users it's crashing the servers. It has taken our culture by storm.

It amounts to this, as I understand it. One must use a GPS enabled device such as an iPhone to go out and find areas designated to be pokemon (pocket monster) hunting grounds. These areas are usually sites of public significance, such as museums. As you approach an area you picture the scene on your phone and an animated pokemon will appear on the phone blended into the scene (but not in reality unless you've gone psychotic). You then capture that pokemon with poke-ball by tossing it by swiping your phone screen or some such. Once captured the pokemon can be trained, evolved, etc., to be more capable of winning fights with other pokemon.

View attachment 67204391

The squirtle is to be captured by flipping the poke-ball (at the bottom) his way.

Other phone screens show a fairly standard GPS display with points of pokemon interest. So the gameplay is to walk to the various pokemon haunts and capture them, rinse and repeat. The rest is to train and fight them, which is also done at certain outdoor sites.

ah, one of the best explanations I have seen so far

Back
Top Bottom