• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pokemon Go

Nilly

stb
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
So this has kind of taken the world by storm. I'll walk down the street where I live and you can see maybe 50% of people with their phones out looking for pokemon, it's crazy.

Anyone playing? There's not much in the way of multiplayer collaboration on it yet but I'd still be interested to see if any of you are like me and are walking/driving miles out of your way to get to that pokestop with the lure on it! Team Mystic (blue) here.

I haven't but my sister's been playing this game a whole lot. At first, I had no idea what was going on, with people running around the neighborhood with their phones and such.

No. But Pokeman doesn't interest me. But the concept is intriguing and I might be into it with a different theme. I like geocaching and this does seem to have some similarities.

But this had me laughing so hard. :)

My son showed me the game on the drive to Denver last Sat to the Drum Corps show. Sooo...of course, I had to check it out.

It's fun. I can see where people can get really addicted to the game. For me, though, it's not a big deal. If I go somewhere for some reason, I'll start the game and if there's a Pokestop around, I'll get it. I walk everyday, so I hit the stops where I walk. I haven't gone walking just for the purpose of playing the game, though.

One good thing that I see: There are lots of kids in the area out and about playing the game. If they didn't have the game, they'd probably be spending their summer vacation sitting at home.

Maltent...Level 5...Blue Team

Armed robbers have used "lures" to attract victims.

Pokemon appear in places like: middle of a busy street, back alleys in dangerous neighborhoods, behind fences on secure government buildings, in peoples' back yards. Only a matter of time before that becomes tragic.

I miss Dav now....

Armed robbers have used "lures" to attract victims.

Pokemon appear in places like: middle of a busy street, back alleys in dangerous neighborhoods, behind fences on secure government buildings, in peoples' back yards. Only a matter of time before that becomes tragic.

I did hear about that but that mindset is kind of cynical. Maybe we should just sit in front of our TV's all day instead. Much safer.

lol the wife and me were just talking about this. a friend of mine is a county sheriff and they have close like 10 suspicious calls over this
in the past couple of days.

I did hear about that but that mindset is kind of cynical. Maybe we should just sit in front of our TV's all day instead. Much safer.

Kids can be encouraged to go outside without also being encouraged to walk into dangerous or illegal areas.

Kids can be encouraged to go outside without also being encouraged to walk into dangerous or illegal areas.

Most places (pokestops) in the game aren't really illegal or dangerous. They're places of interest. Parks, schools, churches etc. If there are dangerous areas then our focus should be on making them less dangerous, rather than admonishing people for going there (or the reasons they go there). And I've yet to see something quite as effective as getting people (it's far more than just kids) out and about:

RfowqJO.jpg

No. But Pokeman doesn't interest me. But the concept is intriguing and I might be into it with a different theme. I like geocaching and this does seem to have some similarities.

I've watched it like 5 times still laughing my ass off over it.

Most places (pokestops) in the game aren't really illegal or dangerous. They're places of interest. Parks, schools, churches etc. If there are dangerous areas then our focus should be on making them less dangerous, rather than admonishing people for going there (or the reasons they go there). And I've yet to see something quite as effective as getting people (it's far more than just kids) out and about:

RfowqJO.jpg

tJ8smuY.jpg

I don't understand any of this. I thought Pokemon was a kids TV show or card game.

I don't understand any of this. I thought Pokemon was a kids TV show or card game.

It was, now there's an app you can put on your phone which uses the GPS and you have to physically go around town and find them... or something like that.

It started out as a video game, and then once it got bigger it also became a card game and a TV Show as well.

78CNdbR.jpg

A few newsagents near my house are using the same technique haha

It's an AR game. Augmented Reality.

It uses your GPS location, Google Maps, your phone's camera and gaming software to send you to actual, physical locations.

It's actually kind of cool, IMO.

It was, now there's an app you can put on your phone which uses the GPS and you have to physically go around town and find them... or something like that.

It started out as a video game, and then once it got bigger it also became a card game and a TV Show as well.

So people are hiding pictures of these things around town and people are trying to find them?

So people are hiding pictures of these things around town and people are trying to find them?

So the pkoenon themselves are virtual but superimposed around real life places, and the game uses GPS to see if you're near those places. ONce you're close to a pokemon, the game switches to camera view and you can see the pokemon that're near to you on GPS and try to catch them. Certain pokemon only appear in certain areas so exploring is encouraged.

pokemon-go-nick_statt-screenshots-1.0.jpg

This is what its aiming to become, some features (local battles, trading) not yet implemented:

On reddit the #1 article is asking people to not play @ the Holocaust Museum. Also someone named a Hyponotic Pokemon "Bill Cosby"

This is just getting out of hand!
0d3c7c79135e87b1cd683b68515c54ce95ba01d2e4b2dd1376b029ea7535e467_1.jpg

Oh and someone went to the Westboro Baptist Church which is a 'gym' (preset places you can claim with your pokemon) and claimed it with a fairy type pokemon named 'loveislove' :mrgreen:

loveislove.jpg

Oh and someone went to the Westboro Baptist Church which is a 'gym' (preset places you can claim with your pokemon) and claimed it with a fairy type pokemon named 'loveislove' :mrgreen:

loveislove.jpg

I saw that before. I LOL'ed.

This is what its aiming to become, some features (local battles, trading) not yet implemented:

Man that video gave me goosebumps, the Mewtwo event looked epic haha.

I saw that before. I LOL'ed.

Did you see WBC's response? They tweeted a load of Clefairy's and Pikachu's holding signs which say 'God hates fags' and stuff. So pathetic it's funny lol.

Screenshot 2016-07-12 14.31.31.jpg

Back
Top Bottom