• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pokemon Go

So the pkoenon themselves are virtual but superimposed around real life places, and the game uses GPS to see if you're near those places. ONce you're close to a pokemon, the game switches to camera view and you can see the pokemon that're near to you on GPS and try to catch them. Certain pokemon only appear in certain areas so exploring is encouraged.

OK. That actually sounds like it might be fun to do with the kids or grandkids some afternoon.

Oh and someone went to the Westboro Baptist Church which is a 'gym' (preset places you can claim with your pokemon) and claimed it with a fairy type pokemon named 'loveislove' :mrgreen:

loveislove.jpg

Ok. THAT is awesome.

This is what its aiming to become, some features (local battles, trading) not yet implemented:

On reddit the #1 article is asking people to not play @ the Holocaust Museum. Also someone named a Hyponotic Pokemon "Bill Cosby"

This is just getting out of hand!

I really don't understand the video. Finding the virtual images might be fun but what good is throwing a ball at a virtual image?

I really don't understand the video. Finding the virtual images might be fun but what good is throwing a ball at a virtual image?

Once you find it you can catch it by throwing the ball at it (takes a certain degree of skill - if you fail to catch it in a certain timeframe it can run away). Then you can train it and battle it against other people. It's about collecting them all though really, it mirrors the tv show and video games in that regard.

A lot of this taps into millennial nostalgia. These games were huge from 1998 onwards, and a lot of people my age recognize all the pokemon despite not having played the games in a while.

Once you find it you can catch it by throwing the ball at it (takes a certain degree of skill - if you fail to catch it in a certain timeframe it can run away). Then you can train it and battle it against other people. It's about collecting them all though really, it mirrors the tv show and video games in that regard.

A lot of this taps into millennial nostalgia. These games were huge from 1998 onwards, and a lot of people my age recognize all the pokemon despite not having played the games in a while.

So do you need to buy special Pokemon balls or can you use what you have?

You can spend real money on pokeballs if you want to but you get plenty for free in game. There are places of interest that are called pokestops. When you're near one you can click on it and get free pokeballs and other item, so you stay stocked up.

I would say it would be a fun time to spend with the kids or grandkids but I suspect they'd be staring at their phone quite a bit!

Yeah, I took the kids out on an adventure...I call it fishing....and we caught a couple of large mouth bass pokemon.

And we ate them.

Good democrat strategy:

13654352_1825746420978897_8617004606491839001_n.jpg

OK. That actually sounds like it might be fun to do with the kids or grandkids some afternoon.

It is fun to do with the kids. I mean, I pretend I'm playing with my kids all the time, as I drag them around with me.

It's like any of the other free to play app games out there. You can have fun and play without spending any money and there are strategies to leveling up more effectively without having to pay. Of course, you can actually buy items and speed your way along, if you have to be on the cutting edge.

i did geocaching once, and had a good time. that's probably what i'd pick over this app.

as for the current craze, it's just like any other current craze. hopefully it gets people walking around outside and working together. the alternative use is to send people into sponsor stores, hoping that they'll buy things. you can guess which one i think that it probably is. if people are having fun playing a game, though, i guess that there are worse things to worry about.

So this has kind of taken the world by storm. I'll walk down the street where I live and you can see maybe 50% of people with their phones out looking for pokemon, it's crazy.

Anyone playing? There's not much in the way of multiplayer collaboration on it yet but I'd still be interested to see if any of you are like me and are walking/driving miles out of your way to get to that pokestop with the lure on it! Team Mystic (blue) here.

I heard about this game for the first time yesterday. And now it's everywhere. WTF?

Offer kids a game where they get to go outdoors, and they are all over it. Perhaps there is hope for today's youth. Provided they don't get run over by a bus. But then there are hazards to stepping out, can't avoid it.

This really did spring up overnight. It is easy and I sort of like making fun of it, but I think a lot more good is coming out of it than bad. I was driving through my neighborhood yesterday and I saw a lot more people out and about walking than normal. Groups of kids, couples, entire families. My wife has an overweight friend who says she has walked about 15 miles this week just playing the game.

I think this is going to be the start of an augmented reality game revolution. There will be more games coming out targeted more toward adults. Stores will start paying companies to put target spots in their store to drive up foot traffic.

Nintendo stock has gone up like 20% from this. You KNOW they are about to get some serious competition in this arena.

local news last night

at university of maryland people are getting robbed....

they are so wrapped up watching the game, they are paying attention to their surroundings

three attacks just yesterday there....

probably more elsewhere....

have fun, but please be aware people

I play this game. Best part is that the bar I like to go to has like 10 Pokestops right around it!

I heard about this game for the first time yesterday. And now it's everywhere. WTF?

Offer kids a game where they get to go outdoors, and they are all over it. Perhaps there is hope for today's youth. Provided they don't get run over by a bus. But then there are hazards to stepping out, can't avoid it.

Today's youth is a little smarter and a lot more technologically savvy than kids of yesterday. There is not just hope for them, they have a bright future.

I play this game. Best part is that the bar I like to go to has like 10 Pokestops right around it!

I travel a lot for work, and number of nearby pokestops has become maybe the most important factor in my decision of where I'm going to eat in the evening haha.

I travel a lot for work, and number of nearby pokestops has become maybe the most important factor in my decision of where I'm going to eat in the evening haha.

The future of real estate listings.

A beautiful 3-bedroom home, large yard, highly rated school district, short driving distance to shopping district and 10 nearby pokestops.

The future of real estate listings.

A beautiful 3-bedroom home, large yard, highly rated school district, short driving distance to shopping district and 10 nearby pokestops.

****, really? Is there an HOA?

I read that the Holocaust Museum is trying to get their pokestop removed. They don't want people playing games in their memorial, the spoilsports. There was an item about the game on the evening news tonight. Idiots in London are walking into each other, and under buses...!

I read that the Holocaust Museum is trying to get their pokestop removed. They don't want people playing games in their memorial, the spoilsports. There was an item about the game on the evening news tonight. Idiots in London are walking into each other, and under buses...!

And that is why I stick with the gameboy games of Pokemon.

This is what it looks like, every single morning before class, on my post. I'm staff at a joint force training post that is known for being basically the nerd capitol of the military.

On base.jpg

P.S. My daughters helped me create my character name.

Back
Top Bottom