• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pneumonia sounds better than the alternatives

Checkerboard Strangler

Make Video Horizontal Again
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
ER visit tomorrow morning.
It's (A) pneumonia, (B) endocarditis or (C) pericarditis. Hopefully it's just "A", which is much easier to treat.
My O2 level is down to the mid-80's from a normal of 98% and my at rest heart rate is around 100 instead of 70.
I can't take more than three steps without breaking out in buckets of sweat.
No chest pain at all but I cannot catch my breath.

And hey, it's not that beer disease, so I should look at the bright side and stop being such a whiny bitch.
I never knew Chinese people drank Mexican beer. Maybe it's the limes they use?

I'm scared about being unable to care for Karen.
She pretty much needs continual care and monitoring as her MS has progressed a fair bit in the last two years.
The VA will take good care of her like they always do but it feels stupid to have to put her in the hospital because of me.

As much as I want to yell "FML" I really hope there's little bit more time.
I've never felt this way before...it's the worst.

It's (A) pneumonia, (B) endocarditis or (C) pericarditis. Hopefully it's just "A", which is much easier to treat.
My O2 level is down to the mid-80's from a normal of 98% and my at rest heart rate is around 100 instead of 70.

And hey, it's not that beer disease, so I should look at the bright side and stop being such a whiny bitch.

She pretty much needs continual care and monitoring as her MS has progressed a fair bit in the last two years.
The VA will take good care of her like they always do but it feels stupid to have to put her in the hospital because of me.

Jesus. I am so sorry, Checkerboard Strangler. Please go ASAP, do not delay. Hopefully it is nothing serious, but do not delay just in case. I wish you the very short hospital stay and a speedy recovery so you can go home and take care of your wife.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this. I'll hope for pneumonia or maybe something easier to treat.

I have to ask, are you going to the ER tomorrow so someone else can come care for you wife? I want to be supportive, but since you are that bad off, the sooner the better. You don't want to have to go in an ambulance in the middle of the night. A family member of mine, got treatment just in time and he was in his 30's. He ended up in the hospital for several days, but only went at the insistence of his MIL.

Sorry to be so doomy gloomy.

I wish you good luck. I'll take a wild guess at option (A) - pneumonia. I got this flu thing a week before Christmas and just started feeling better in the last week. Wheeze both on inspiration and expiration. Air sacs in the lungs not transferring O2 as they should. Lots of congestion that seems to get better one day and the next day it's back with a vengeance. It's horrible. The hospital will fix you up.

Jesus. I am so sorry, Checkerboard Strangler. Please go ASAP, do not delay. Hopefully it is nothing serious, but do not delay just in case. I wish you the very short hospital stay and a speedy recovery so you can go home and take care of your wife.

This is what I was thinking. Pneumonia isn't exactly a walk in the park, it kills a lot of people, especially once the bacteria invades the blood stream and begins affecting organs.

If I thought I had pneumonia I would already be at the hospital. I've had it twice in my life and one time meant a week in the hospital... mostly because I delayed doing anything about. Thank God I was young at the time because the same symptoms would probably kill me at my age now.

I hope the visit goes well, CS. Wishing you the best.

Wishing you well.

I'll be thinking about you, CB. Keep pushing.

Be careful, CB.

Pneumonia can miss you up, too.

Best wishes.

My best to you and Karen.

Thats a gut wrenching situation to be in; But FIRST, get yourself taken care of so you can take care of her...really wish you a speedy recover.

I don't know what to say man, doubly so given you have dependents counting on you; this really sucks. I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with your health like this, and hope that you and your doctors are able to effect a swift recovery.

Do you have any friends or family that can help as you fight this off?

This is what I was thinking. Pneumonia isn't exactly a walk in the park, it kills a lot of people, especially once the bacteria invades the blood stream and begins affecting organs.

If I thought I had pneumonia I would already be at the hospital. I've had it twice in my life and one time meant a week in the hospital... mostly because I delayed doing anything about. Thank God I was young at the time because the same symptoms would probably kill me at my age now.

This. Pneumonia is no joke at all. It killed my father because he waited too long to get it treated (he didn't actually know he had it), and well the bacteria invaded his bloodstream, and it was all down hill from there. It's very serious. Hopefully CS ends up being ok, and recovers quickly.

Here's hoping Checker is OK. No word from him today :(

I can't say much at all without turning into a big teary-eyed ***** but I am humbled by all of this, and thank you ALL so much.
I got treated and more to come.
I do feel better but mentally and emotionally I am not well enough connected right now to my Inner Lebowski Dude Abides core.

Monday will not be all good news from the labs and the imaging stuff.
And that will disorient me a good bit until I can digest it and figure out how to heal more than just the pneumonia.

Lakewood Regional Medical Center (Lakewood CA) is one of the very few outside hospitals that is almost as good as the VA Hospital in Long Beach, California. VA Long Beach is my wife's hospital but it also used to be mine until they became too full to help vet spouses a few years ago.

Lakewood is competent, and they are FAST FAST FAST.
Treatment and surgery for my soul is a little tougher to come by but I am working on it.

I can't say much at all without turning into a big teary-eyed ***** but I am humbled by all of this, and thank you ALL so much.
I got treated and more to come.
I do feel better but mentally and emotionally I am not well enough connected right now to my Inner Lebowski Dude Abides core.

Monday will not be all good news from the labs and the imaging stuff.
And that will disorient me a good bit until I can digest it and figure out how to heal more than just the pneumonia.

Lakewood Regional Medical Center (Lakewood CA) is one of the very few outside hospitals that is almost as good as the VA Hospital in Long Beach, California. VA Long Beach is my wife's hospital but it also used to be mine until they became too full to help vet spouses a few years ago.

Lakewood is competent, and they are FAST FAST FAST.
Treatment and surgery for my soul is a little tougher to come by but I am working on it.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, CS. Sounds like you've been through the ringer....I hope you're feeling better. Pneumonia is nothing to sneeze about.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, CS. Sounds like you've been through the ringer....I hope you're feeling better. Pneumonia is nothing to sneeze about.

Or cough about.
Feeling a lot better, and Lakewood Regional Med Center says it was not Corona Virus, but they also confirmed my suspicions about my immune system. I guess in the last five or six years my immune system has gone from a Caterpillar Diesel to a Chevy Vega...in other words it is about as tough and resilient as papier mache now.

"F.M.L." :roll:

CS, sorry to hear about this and wishing the best for you and your wife. Please take care, feeling a little bit better is a good thing. Hoping you recover completely and get back to normal.

Or cough about.
Feeling a lot better, and Lakewood Regional Med Center says it was not Corona Virus, but they also confirmed my suspicions about my immune system. I guess in the last five or six years my immune system has gone from a Caterpillar Diesel to a Chevy Vega...in other words it is about as tough and resilient as papier mache now.

"F.M.L." :roll:

That's good and glad you're feeling better. You're a good guy, CS. :)

Back
Top Bottom