• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

pmcs or us military

A

addh95

well i was debating last year for cx debate in highschool pmcs came up alot threw out many debates our res was "the us federal government should substaintionly reduce its police and or military presence in one of the following" then listed 6 differnt locations but everytime iraq or afghanistain came up so did the pmcs and there were 2 main argumetns there firstly if they were privately owned or if they are part of the military (pmcs= private military contracters) and secondly if they would be more effective and cost less american lives then our soliders i still think about this so if anybody has any ideas on this please feel free to comment

PMC really means "Private Military Company" but that's just semantics.

Any US-functioning PMC units are conscripted by the government directly . . . which is pointless in my opinion - if you answer to the DOD you should be employed as all others to the DOD via military standards. Generally speaking - throughout history they function with less regulation and oversight - resulting in far many more issues and problems. I think they're more easly corrupted due to this means. . . especially if they're hired from a larger international pool or if the company itself has international concerns.

If the members of the country that a force (not just the US) is present in want to help said effort then a PMC - in this instance - would be a good option for them to provide support and assistance.

I always think it's just wise to tread carefully - if at all - when it come sot international affairs. All too often things seem to be taken far more lightly and approached more carelessly than necessary.

well i was debating last year for cx debate in highschool pmcs came up alot threw out many debates our res was "the us federal government should substaintionly reduce its police and or military presence in one of the following" then listed 6 differnt locations but everytime iraq or afghanistain came up so did the pmcs and there were 2 main argumetns there firstly if they were privately owned or if they are part of the military (pmcs= private military contracters) and secondly if they would be more effective and cost less american lives then our soliders i still think about this so if anybody has any ideas on this please feel free to comment

PMCS means, "preventive maintanance, checks and services". They are noted on DA Form 2404.

http://armypubs.army.mil/eforms/pdf/a2404.pdf

Actually, the 2404 is obsolete for the most part. We use the 5988 now.

And no, they would not be more effective. They would be less effective, as they would in effect be mercenaries.

If you want to see what they would be like, imagine Blackwater time 1,000. Sure, 98% of the members of Blackwater were good people who did their jobs professionally and properly. But you had the 2% that "went rogue" because they thought they could get away with it.

Now imagine that you had millions of them. Who would take the paycheck when times were good, then quit when it looked like they might actually have to work for that check.

Any time the government engages contractors it costs more money. The plus side (fiscal payoff) is that the contractors typically are short term and the government doesnt have to pay for long term medical/health and retirement. Private soldiers typically get paid very well compared to the average fed soldier. Contracting agencies get paid major bank.

Personally...I think we screwed up with both Afghanistan and Iraq. If we had been doing the job right there would have been no need for private military personnel. In...out...stabilize...GONE. We should have set in place metrics and milestones and been out of there within 5 years of cease fire ops. Both countries should have been given time and training to elect a government and put in place a military foundation. Had they been properly incentivized they could have either done it easily or demonstrated they will never do it. Either way...5 and out. If they dont care enough about their country to take advantage of the opportunity for democracy...**** them...let them burn.I think they would have done it myself.

And if the new governments wanted to hire mercs...good on em...their dime.

VanceMack, et al,

I thought that someone would have made a serious response by now. As none was forthcoming, I thought I would throw my two-cents into the game.

Any time the government engages contractors it costs more money. The plus side (fiscal payoff) is that the contractors typically are short term and the government doesnt have to pay for long term medical/health and retirement. Private soldiers typically get paid very well compared to the average fed soldier. Contracting agencies get paid major bank.
(COMMENT)

For the most part, this is generally true. But not at all unusual. In times of war, the US Government has often hired contractors. John Wayne portrayed many of the more famous examples, in the movies, from an Indian War Scout - to a commander in the The Flying Tigers. And yes, they all made more money than did normal military members.

Personally...I think we screwed up with both Afghanistan and Iraq. If we had been doing the job right there would have been no need for private military personnel.
(COMMENT)

Maybe, but more likely not.

Yes there were mistakes made, but the need for so many contractors was a "planned" consequence of the downsizing of the military after the fall of the former Soviet Union. Some people called it a "War Dividend and some called it a "eace Dividend." But at the end of the Cold War, the Congress ordered the down size. It affected each of the services slightly different; but, for the most part, each of the services opted to sacrifice the active duty, and reserve components that were not "combat arms" (or as they say, the war fighter). So, many of the of the Engineers, Intelligence, and Communications portions (just to mention a few) of the military disappeared; and those funded billets went to the combat arms.

In...out...stabilize...GONE. We should have set in place metrics and milestones and been out of there within 5 years of cease fire ops. Both countries should have been given time and training to elect a government and put in place a military foundation. Had they been properly incentivized they could have either done it easily or demonstrated they will never do it. Either way...5 and out. If they dont care enough about their country to take advantage of the opportunity for democracy...**** them...let them burn. I think they would have done it myself.
(COMMENT)

I agree. There should have been that quick in and out plan. But that again, was a decision made by the inept civilian leadership; a poorly executed National Security Decision Making Process, and (more importantly) a military leadership that saw an opportunity for careers to be made.

Oddly enough, I agree, in part, with your concepts, we should have let the Iraqi's decide their own destiny.

And if the new governments wanted to hire mercs...good on em...their dime.
(COMMENT)

As long as we understand that the general and special contractor (to include the Private Security Companies) were not mercenaries. Mercenaries are third party national that have not direct interest in the conflict. The American PSCs were nationals party to the conflict which ended in June 2005.

Most Respectfully,
R

That's not really true when you factor in long term costs of maintaining peacetime forces. Private contractors have more control over the number of employees they maintain and how quickly they can be laid off and hired.

Back
Top Bottom