• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pledge of Allegiance

What a stupid post. Why do you so want to be "edgy" that you'll accuse a Jew of anti-Semitism and wanting Israel destroyed?
What's wrong with you?

No claim you are an expert on correct Christian behavior. So once again, explain that expertise. Candidly, I've found that it is atheists who rant about how Christians should behave, but maybe you aren't engaging in such absurdity.

Once again, what is your expertise on Christianity and correct Christian behavior?

No claim you are an expert on correct Christian behavior. So once again, explain that expertise. Candidly, I've found that it is atheists who rant about how Christians should behave, but maybe you aren't engaging in such absurdity.

Once again, what is your expertise on Christianity and correct Christian behavior?
Why did you ask that question of a Jew? And accuse them of anti-Semitism?
Or maybe your knee started jerking so hard you couldn't read the post you replied to.
And there's a really good chance I know more about the Bible and Christianity than you do. I'm not an atheist but I can't be a Christian because I reject the notion of guilt for the Original Sin.

I've always found the pledge odd.
Do Americans feel British people are less patriotic because we don't have a pledge?
It's like when you have all have to stand up for the anthem before a sports match and you see people get really upset if someone doesn't even if they're from another country.

This sort of enforced patriotism just doesn't fit with the idea of the land of the free in my eyes.

I've always found the pledge odd.
Do Americans feel British people are less patriotic because we don't have a pledge?
It's like when you have all have to stand up for the anthem before a sports match and you see people get really upset if someone doesn't even if they're from another country.

This sort of enforced patriotism just doesn't fit with the idea of the land of the free in my eyes.
You've had thousands of years of shared national identity. The US used a shortcut to catch up.

You've had thousands of years of shared national identity. The US used a shortcut to catch up.

I know I'm an old codger but that's a bit below the belt.

Why did you ask that question of a Jew? And accuse them of anti-Semitism?
Or maybe your knee started jerking so hard you couldn't read the post you replied to.
And there's a really good chance I know more about the Bible and Christianity than you do. I'm not an atheist but I can't be a Christian because I reject the notion of guilt for the Original Sin.
I'm not white, not a Christian and have no reason to believe you are or are not a Jew.
You did your rant about how Christians should behave - so what is your expertise since you now again claim it. If you are not a Christian and not an atheist, what are you and what are your credentials as an expert on correct Christian behavior?
The phrase "the self hating Jew" has quite a bit of merit. But that's another topic entirely.
The topic you raised is your claim of expertise on Christian behavior and claiming Christians in the USA don't act right as Christians. What is your expertise?

I'm not white, not a Christian and have no reason to believe you are or are not a Jew.
You did your rant about how Christians should behave - so what is your expertise since you now again claim it. If you are not a Christian and not an atheist, what are you and what are your credentials as an expert on correct Christian behavior?
The phrase "the self hating Jew" has quite a bit of merit. But that's anothe
r topic entirely.
The topic you raised is your claim of expertise on Christian behavior and claiming Christians in the USA don't act right as Christians. What is your expertise?
I'm not a Jew. You've completely lost track of your participation in this thread. Scroll back and re-read the post from Mika-El that set you off, and the train since.
Get a grip, in other words.
My expertise? Rigging, both hand and power, welding and steel fabrication, machinery trouble-shooting and maintenance, what have you. Readin', writin' and rithmetic. And a bunch of research and inquiry driven by intelligent curiosity.

See post # 44.
I debated this before with somebody... Just want to point out that salute way predates the Nazi's.... 1800's perhaps.

My question, to a secular republi is why?

I love the pledge...(I pledge allegiance to the flag and the republic for which it stands, one Nation under....

But notice how it sais "under god"

How about your countries promise to have a seperation of Church and State as Jefferson wrote to bapitsts conetticut

The establishment clause was aimed at paranoia over the Church of England's attempts to make itself the established religion of all the colonies and making that impossible to achieve re the Federal govt. It was most certainly about banning Christianity from gov., that is just silly considering how many colonies were settled by religious dissenters. Several states kept their established sects, with taxing powers, for many years after the Constitutional Convention, the last one was dis-established in 1834 or so. The clause was about limiting the Federal govt., not the states.

I love the pledge...(I pledge allegiance to the flag and the republic for which it stands, one Nation under....

How about your countries promise to have a seperation of Church and State as Jefferson wrote to bapitsts conetticut
I suspect it was put there to help prop up our fiat currency, since that, too, is based on nothing but faith.

The 'Nazi salute' came from ancient Rome, and was carried on through Charlemagne and the Holy Roman Empire to Hapsburg Germany and into the U.S. via massive German immigration. It is a romanticized 'tribute' to classical civilization and the roots of Federalism and our legal systems. For Nazis, it was a symbol of their return to their pagan roots. There is a copy of the Hitler Youth Handbook somewhere on archive.org explaining the rejection of Christianity in favor of 'rational constructivism', which also appeals to left wing ideologues as well; both commies and Nazis use mass murder as their 'rational' solutions to social and economic problems. Human life is only valued for its economic value, same as with all corporatist 'value systems', from Wall Street banks to Lenin's Soviet to Peking's Cadre councils to the Reichstag of Hitler's dictatorship to GM board meetings.

Yeah, a stupid one. The POA as having little to no similarity to “seig heil” is mind numbingly obvious. Yet, somehow, you manage to see them as analogous. Go figure.

Jeeze, can you be anymore insulting? You take yourself way too seriously.

Hand gestures are similar. They're nationalistic. They made children do it. I was mostly being tongue in cheek btw. I can think of several countries who do the hand gesture. It's all indoctrinating, nationalistic crap that I don't support.

God is a concept not a church. In fact I think it's pretty universal among religions that there is a God or gods.

Whatever rational point you hoped to make, you sabotaged it with that stupid analogy.

Regardless, there’s a rational basis for rituals like the pledge.

Key word “ritual.” Serves no purpose. Our citizenship is our pledge.

Probably because Christians constantly rant at everyone else that they’re going to hell for their behavior.

Key word “ritual.” Serves no purpose. Our citizenship is our pledge.

Oh the POA serves a purpose, and is rationally calculated to serve a purpose.

Citizenship isn’t a pledge of allegiance. Citizenship is acknowledgment of satisfaction of specific legal requirements for citizenship. Conspiring people with citizenship have not been loyal to the U.S., the legal designation of citizenship doesn’t necessarily reflect pledge.

Was? Is? The phrase finds its genesis in a letter from Jefferson to some Baptists. However, Jefferson doesn’t decide or determine what the Establishment Clause says or means. Before Jefferson wrote the letter, the historical practice of the men who wrote and ratified the 1st Amendment, including the EC, had approved opening Congress with prayer, approved the use of chaplains, and payment for the chaplains.

George Washington declared a day of prayer and fasting in 1795. Adams did as well in 1798, followed by Madison and many other Presidents.

This is but some of the substantial amount of evidence “separation of church and state” was more fiction than reality as it pertained to the EC.

That is not entirely accurate either.

Not a single one of the founders had any interest in governmental recognition of religion, only the freedom to follow it. There is no writing that I know of from anyone of the period that suggested citizens needed to blend nationalism pledges with theocratic themes.

And honestly none of this was an issue until politicians made it one.

You bet, looks like forced allegiance to me.

Oh, so you perceived “forced allegiance.” Human perception of reality can be mistaken. Your perception of “forced allegiance” doesn’t reflect reality. No one is “forced” to recite the pledge. Indeed, some refuse to recite the POA and they aren’t then held at gun point to seek compliance. Students may and have refused to cite the POA, and they may do so with impunity, as the law mandates students have the freedom to refuse to recite the POA.

Your perception isn’t correct.

Oh the POA serves a purpose, and is rationally calculated to serve a purpose.

Citizenship isn’t a pledge of allegiance. Citizenship is acknowledgment of satisfaction of specific legal requirements for citizenship. Conspiring people with citizenship have not been loyal to the U.S., the legal designation of citizenship doesn’t necessarily reflect pledge.

Saying words with your hand on your heart is not a legally, socially, or morally binding proposition. Citizenship is.

1A means I have the right to be as demonstrably disloyal to this country as I see fit so long as it doesn’t infringe on anyone else’s rights or commit any unlawful acts.

That is not entirely accurate either.

Not a single one of the founders had any interest in governmental recognition of religion, only the freedom to follow it. There is no writing that I know of from anyone of the period that suggested citizens needed to blend nationalism pledges with theocratic themes.

And honestly none of this was an issue until politicians made it one.

To the contrary, what I said is factually accurate. What I cited to was history. Facts.

Your idea of a “separation of church and state” is a fiction, and has no historical basis.

The historical facts show the framers and founders did have the government engage in “recognition of religion.” Their very behaviors and actions speak louder than their words. Their very actions and behaviors reflect what they understood to be allowed and disallowed.

What you think the founders had “any interest in” doesn’t matter. Facts matter. The facts are some of those very framers and founders assisted in the writing of the 1st Amendment, passed the 1st Amendment, and also approved of opening Congressional sessions with prayer, passed legislation for the appointment of chaplains to lead the prayer, passed legislation for the payment of those chaplains, those laws were signed by the President. Presidents called for a national day of “payer and fasting.” The same week Congress approved the Establishment Clause as part of the Bill of Rights for ratification by the States, the same Congress enacted legislation for paid chaplains in the House and Senate.

The Supreme Court under John Marshall opened its sessions with the prayer, “God save the United States and this Honorable Court.”

The day after the First Amendment was proposed, the same Congress requested the President proclaim “a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed, by acknowledging, with grateful hearts, the many and signal favours of Almighty God.” President Washington called for the first Thanksgiving Proclamation shortly after, set the date of November 26, 1789, can called on behalf of the American people “ ‘to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that is, that was, or that will be,’ ”

The same Congress reenacted the Northwest Territory Ordinance of 1787, which said, “Religion, morality, and knowledge, being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged.”

Thomas Jefferson concluded his second inaugural address by recognizing supreme being, who was very involved in human affairs, for assistance, and asked others to “join supplications” to this being:

“I shall need, too, the favor of that Being in whose hands we are, who led our fathers, as Israel of old, from their native land and planted them in a country flowing with all the necessaries and comforts of life; who has covered our infancy with His providence and our riper years with His wisdom and power and to whose goodness I ask you to join in supplications with me that He will so enlighten the minds of your servants, guide their councils, and prosper their measures that whatsoever they do shall result in your good, and shall secure to you the peace, friendship, and approbation of all nations.”

James Madison, in his first inaugural address, had the following to say: “in the guardianship and guidance of that Almighty Being whose power regulates the destiny of nations, whose blessings have been so conspicuously dispensed to this rising Republic, and to whom we are bound to address our devout gratitude for the past, as well as our fervent supplications and best hopes for the future.”

As I read the letter to which your refer, a reponse to a letter asserting "Sentiments are uniformly on the side of Religious Liberty", the protections that Jefferson confirms protect religion from the government- not the opposite.

He asserts the existence of "separation between Church & State". He actually seems to tear down the notion of there being a separation of Church FROM State and also that there is no need for this.

He affirms his beliefs, as set out in the Declaration, of a faith in God, the flow of rights FROM God and that loyalty to the nation in no way interferes with faith in God or with the practice of religion.

The phrase, "under God" was added, I think, in the post WW2 1950's. Why they left out "Mom and Apple Pie" is a mystery. ;)

To the contrary, what I said is factually accurate. What I cited to was history. Facts.

Your idea of a “separation of church and state” is a fiction, and has no historical basis.

The historical facts show the framers and founders did have the government engage in “recognition of religion.” Their very behaviors and actions speak louder than their words. Their very actions and behaviors reflect what they understood to be allowed and disallowed.

What you think the founders had “any interest in” doesn’t matter. Facts matter. The facts are some of those very framers and founders assisted in the writing of the 1st Amendment, passed the 1st Amendment, and also approved of opening Congressional sessions with prayer, passed legislation for the appointment of chaplains to lead the prayer, passed legislation for the payment of those chaplains, those laws were signed by the President. Presidents called for a national day of “payer and fasting.” The same week Congress approved the Establishment Clause as part of the Bill of Rights for ratification by the States, the same Congress enacted legislation for paid chaplains in the House and Senate.

The Supreme Court under John Marshall opened its sessions with the prayer, “God save the United States and this Honorable Court.”

The day after the First Amendment was proposed, the same Congress requested the President proclaim “a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed, by acknowledging, with grateful hearts, the many and signal favours of Almighty God.” President Washington called for the first Thanksgiving Proclamation shortly after, set the date of November 26, 1789, can called on behalf of the American people “ ‘to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that is, that was, or that will be,’ ”

The same Congress reenacted the Northwest Territory Ordinance of 1787, which said, “Religion, morality, and knowledge, being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged.”

Thomas Jefferson concluded his second inaugural address by recognizing supreme being, who was very involved in human affairs, for assistance, and asked others to “join supplications” to this being:

“I shall need, too, the favor of that Being in whose hands we are, who led our fathers, as Israel of old, from their native land and planted them in a country flowing with all the necessaries and comforts of life; who has covered our infancy with His providence and our riper years with His wisdom and power and to whose goodness I ask you to join in supplications with me that He will so enlighten the minds of your servants, guide their councils, and prosper their measures that whatsoever they do shall result in your good, and shall secure to you the peace, friendship, and approbation of all nations.”

James Madison, in his first inaugural address, had the following to say: “in the guardianship and guidance of that Almighty Being whose power regulates the destiny of nations, whose blessings have been so conspicuously dispensed to this rising Republic, and to whom we are bound to address our devout gratitude for the past, as well as our fervent supplications and best hopes for the future.”

And none of it made it into the Constitution.

Back
Top Bottom