• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Please get vaccinated

While I wholeheartedly disagree with vaccine mandates, mask mandates and the hatred spewed at anti-vaxxers, I also think it's pretty stupid to not get vaccinated.

Since Covid started, I've lost an uncle and now 4 former co-workers to this virus, with the last passing away Friday. One of those co-workers died before the vaccine was available, and the rest dying from the delta variant of the virus. My son-in-law and my oldest daughter are positive right now and they are living in the same house as 3 of my grandchildren and another relative who is older and dealing with heart failure.

I've known dozens of people who have had Covid and survived - my own mother, my best friend, half of the people I work with and other friends and former co-workers. This virus affects us all differently and there truly is no guarantee in life other than death. While 97+% of us will survive the virus if we get it, there are many who won't. We don't know if we will survive or not and is it really worth gambling with not only your life, but the lives of those closest to you?

Please get vaccinated, please. You're taking a far greater risk by not getting vaccinated than you are by getting the vaccine. Life is short and dying from this is a risk we shouldn't be taking - not only for ourselves, but for our friends and families.

tshade

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
There's no contradiction in my statements at all. I believe in freedom and liberty, something you clearly seem to oppose. You've made it very clear that you are a proponent of forced government intervention, which is essentially control. I believe in personal freedoms and I believe that choosing to not do something that protects not just the individual, but others, is stupid, even though they don't have to.
We pass many laws to protect us from ourselves. Right , it is not only stupid but criminal = thus the mandates.

RedAkston

Master of Shenanigans
Administrator
Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
We pass many laws to protect us from ourselves. Right , it is not only stupid but criminal = thus the mandates.
You've already lost the argument, but do carry on...

trixare4kids

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Getting the vaccine should be a personal choice and I've never wavered from this stance. That being said, it's a poor choice if one chooses to not get vaccinated.

I'm not countering myself at all, you're just not as smart as you think you are.

Motorcycle helmets aren't mandated in every state, and this is a personal choice. It's a choice that I feel the individual should be able to make. It's also a bad idea to not wear a helmet IMO.

There's no contradiction in my statements at all. I believe in freedom and liberty, something you clearly seem to oppose. You've made it very clear that you are a proponent of forced government intervention, which is essentially control. I believe in personal freedoms and I believe that choosing to not do something that protects not just the individual, but others, is stupid, even though they don't have to.
I guess some want us to say the above but also be proponents of mandates.

I believe just as you do... I'm not sure why some don't get that one can advise others to get vaccinated but also not go along with forcing anyone to get vaccinated.

Contrarians by nature? Or by design?

Allan

Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Motorcycle helmets aren't mandated in every state, and this is a personal choice. It's a choice that I feel the individual should be able to make. It's also a bad idea to not wear a helmet IMO.
I've always felt that a better analogy is drunk driving. An impaired person puts themselves and others at risk. That's the justification used for mandates on masks and vaccination.

I can understand the concern though with government mandates on vaccination. That's a big step in that the government is mandating a medical procedure for citizens.

Unfortunately the antivaxxers have been so idiotic they've forfeited support from moderates who might otherwise be concerned about government intrusion.

Top Bottom