• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Please get vaccinated

While I wholeheartedly disagree with vaccine mandates, mask mandates and the hatred spewed at anti-vaxxers, I also think it's pretty stupid to not get vaccinated.

Since Covid started, I've lost an uncle and now 4 former co-workers to this virus, with the last passing away Friday. One of those co-workers died before the vaccine was available, and the rest dying from the delta variant of the virus. My son-in-law and my oldest daughter are positive right now and they are living in the same house as 3 of my grandchildren and another relative who is older and dealing with heart failure.

I've known dozens of people who have had Covid and survived - my own mother, my best friend, half of the people I work with and other friends and former co-workers. This virus affects us all differently and there truly is no guarantee in life other than death. While 97+% of us will survive the virus if we get it, there are many who won't. We don't know if we will survive or not and is it really worth gambling with not only your life, but the lives of those closest to you?

Please get vaccinated, please. You're taking a far greater risk by not getting vaccinated than you are by getting the vaccine. Life is short and dying from this is a risk we shouldn't be taking - not only for ourselves, but for our friends and families.

There's no contradiction in my statements at all. I believe in freedom and liberty, something you clearly seem to oppose. You've made it very clear that you are a proponent of forced government intervention, which is essentially control. I believe in personal freedoms and I believe that choosing to not do something that protects not just the individual, but others, is stupid, even though they don't have to.
We pass many laws to protect us from ourselves. Right , it is not only stupid but criminal = thus the mandates.

Getting the vaccine should be a personal choice and I've never wavered from this stance. That being said, it's a poor choice if one chooses to not get vaccinated.

I'm not countering myself at all, you're just not as smart as you think you are.

Motorcycle helmets aren't mandated in every state, and this is a personal choice. It's a choice that I feel the individual should be able to make. It's also a bad idea to not wear a helmet IMO.

There's no contradiction in my statements at all. I believe in freedom and liberty, something you clearly seem to oppose. You've made it very clear that you are a proponent of forced government intervention, which is essentially control. I believe in personal freedoms and I believe that choosing to not do something that protects not just the individual, but others, is stupid, even though they don't have to.
I guess some want us to say the above but also be proponents of mandates.

I believe just as you do... I'm not sure why some don't get that one can advise others to get vaccinated but also not go along with forcing anyone to get vaccinated.

Contrarians by nature? Or by design?

Motorcycle helmets aren't mandated in every state, and this is a personal choice. It's a choice that I feel the individual should be able to make. It's also a bad idea to not wear a helmet IMO.
I've always felt that a better analogy is drunk driving. An impaired person puts themselves and others at risk. That's the justification used for mandates on masks and vaccination.

I can understand the concern though with government mandates on vaccination. That's a big step in that the government is mandating a medical procedure for citizens.

Unfortunately the antivaxxers have been so idiotic they've forfeited support from moderates who might otherwise be concerned about government intrusion.

Follow up on my friend, 8 weeks ago she got Covid, 6 weeks ago she was intubated, 2 weeks ago, the family turned her life support off, but she woke up. Last week she was released from ICU to a long term care facility. She is still on a trach, but looks surprisingly good. In the last 10 years she has been near death many times, she has had 2 bone marrow transplants, and more rounds of chemo than I can count. Yet she fights back, she is amazing.

Please get vaccinated, there are a lot of immuno compromised people out there that, even after being vaccinated, are vulnerable.

While I wholeheartedly disagree with vaccine mandates, mask mandates and the hatred spewed at anti-vaxxers, I also think it's pretty stupid to not get vaccinated.

Since Covid started, I've lost an uncle and now 4 former co-workers to this virus, with the last passing away Friday. One of those co-workers died before the vaccine was available, and the rest dying from the delta variant of the virus. My son-in-law and my oldest daughter are positive right now and they are living in the same house as 3 of my grandchildren and another relative who is older and dealing with heart failure.

I've known dozens of people who have had Covid and survived - my own mother, my best friend, half of the people I work with and other friends and former co-workers. This virus affects us all differently and there truly is no guarantee in life other than death. While 97+% of us will survive the virus if we get it, there are many who won't. We don't know if we will survive or not and is it really worth gambling with not only your life, but the lives of those closest to you?

Please get vaccinated, please. You're taking a far greater risk by not getting vaccinated than you are by getting the vaccine. Life is short and dying from this is a risk we shouldn't be taking - not only for ourselves, but for our friends and families.

Beefheart's post brought my attention to this thread, which I missed earlier.

You & I are of like cloth, on this, and it's somewhat a minority unique position.

Most can't seem to reconcile how an individual can be against mandates, but be for vaccination. However, it's a position that arises from the juncture of those that strongly believe in personal liberty, but also believe in taking social responsibility.

All day long I deal with attacks from both sides of the vaccine argument here, but I don't care - because my ideology is well defined and I'm very comfortable with it. Those attacks have a good side though, in that they help me see the bullshit being pushed on both sides - including my 'usual' side!

Last edited:
We lost friends, a couple, within days of each other. My goddaughter, still a young woman, got infected, couldn't go up a flight of stairs because of shortness of breath, with persistent coughing spells still today.
BIL was in ICU. He had a fall, broke his hip, got infected with the virus in the hospital. He is on his way to rehab, thank God, because he had the vaccination.
Thank you for your blog.
Wishing Bill the best and a speedy recovery, and wishing you strength.

You're looking at one right here.
No fever, thank God, but the cough, lethargy, fatigue, loss of physical coordination, digestive issues, loss of taste and smell and brain fog have been my life since "recovering" in late March, 2020.
I am fully vaccinated but begging for the opportunity to get my third booster because I also have fatty liver disease, heart failure, COPD and Type 2 diabetes....I would not survive another bout with COVID, certainly not Delta, and I don't want to gamble and find out.

And I've had to say goodbye and watch almost a dozen very dear loved ones get buried, and I have almost another dozen dear ones and even family who refuse to get the shots.
And I am powerless to do anything to change their minds, although Lord knows I've tried every which way imaginable.
I am sorry for your hard deal and I wish you will recover soon!

I am sorry for your losses

I have managed to convince some, but the debate in Sweden is not that political infected and the disinformation less intense. I hope that they will not get it. Holding my thumbs.
I'd like to add my similar sentiments as well. I just couldn't put it in better words than Juks, so I quoted him, but that doesn't lessen the sentiment.

Does anyone know if the IRS workers are required to be vaccinated?Surely the Government wouldn't fire tax collectors.

Does anyone know if the IRS workers are required to be vaccinated?Surely the Government wouldn't fire tax collectors.
They all seem to be working from home now, so the point is moot.

You're looking at one right here.
No fever, thank God, but the cough, lethargy, fatigue, loss of physical coordination, digestive issues, loss of taste and smell and brain fog have been my life since "recovering" in late March, 2020.
I am fully vaccinated but begging for the opportunity to get my third booster because I also have fatty liver disease, heart failure, COPD and Type 2 diabetes....I would not survive another bout with COVID, certainly not Delta, and I don't want to gamble and find out.

And I've had to say goodbye and watch almost a dozen very dear loved ones get buried, and I have almost another dozen dear ones and even family who refuse to get the shots.
And I am powerless to do anything to change their minds, although Lord knows I've tried every which way imaginable.
Approximately 300,000 Swedes have had a reduced sense of smell (and consequently taste) after having covid 19. To be compared to those that has died ; about 15 000.

It is not yet known to what extent the symptoms are permanent or temporary.

I hate that a pandemic killed a bunch of small businesses and we can't help small business owners (remaining) because so many won't get the shot.

That sucks.

That happened literally close to home. Like, only a few blocks away from me. A sit-down Italian restaurant I ate at several times tried to save itself by having a drive-through service, but that attempt failed and it closed permanently months later. Shame, because it was popular for Sunday brunch every week before the pandemic hit.

very sorry the in laws have to go thru this. Very sorry for the deaths.
My sis is immuno-compromised -but she staying in her house and I drop off stuff
or she gets delivery. She had a recent liver transplant and is warned do NOT GO OUT - even though she recently was approvrd for a vaxx.

I agree with you. no mandates ( they dont stop the spread, and we cant afford to lose workers right now) but one "would have to be a fool"
not to vaxx.. Best of health to you and yours

That happened literally close to home. Like, only a few blocks away from me. A sit-down Italian restaurant I ate at several times tried to save itself by having a drive-through service, but that attempt failed and it closed permanently months later. Shame, because it was popular for Sunday brunch every week before the pandemic hit.
Yup. My favorite family restaurant first got rid of breakfast except weekends. Then got rid of breakfast on weekends altogether. Then closed Tuesdays. Then closed Wednesdays, too. They were open 7 days a week from 6 am to 8 pm preCovid, even during storms, to be there for the plows and first responders who had no choice. They are only one of two sit down family restaurants within 30 miles, have been around decades. They did a free turkey dinner buffet every Thanksgiving.

When I keep hearing how great the economy is, I smh.

Yup. My favorite family restaurant first got rid of breakfast except weekends. Then got rid of breakfast on weekends altogether. Then closed Tuesdays. Then closed Wednesdays, too. They were open 7 days a week from 6 am to 8 pm preCovid, even during storms, to be there for the plows and first responders who had no choice. They are only one of two sit down family restaurants within 30 miles, have been around decades. They did a free turkey dinner buffet every Thanksgiving.

When I keep hearing how great the economy is.

My favorite doughnut shop sort of did that too for a while. Once there was a handwritten sign on the drive-through window stating they are closed on Sundays and Tuesdays and close at 4:00 the other days. That schedule was so weird I knew something was up. At the counter, a clerk explained one of the bakers quit. Of course, there are many possible reasons, but this year has seen a record number of job resignations because too many people would rather be unemployed than vaccinated. What are the chances that former baker is one of them?

My favorite doughnut shop sort of did that too for a while. Once there was a handwritten sign on the drive-through window stating they are closed on Sundays and Tuesdays and close at 4:00 the other days. That schedule was so weird I knew something was up. At the counter, a clerk explained one of the bakers quit. Of course, there are many possible reasons, but this year has seen a record number of job resignations because too many people would rather be unemployed than vaccinated. What are the chances that former baker is one of them?
The owner says she can't find cooks--at least that was the reason for no breakfast. There's no way anyone here is still getting unemployment, but the lockdown and then severe restrictions on restaurants for months and months really left people in the lurch. So I think they found other ways to make a living. They couldn't wait around forever.

This owner does not require her workers to be vaccinated.

Not mandating helmets is fine as long as the non-helmet bozos don't affect me when they get hurt. And they DO affect me !!!
That's a slippery slope you don't want to go down. There are many other things that could be argued just like this (i.e., bozos don't affect me).

How can you say that when they become a public safety threat---------and an economic threat.???? This is a public health crisis for the love of.......
Real easy, this country wasn't founded on mandates. You're being melodramatic ..... economic THREAT. Seriously? Most have gotten vaccinated. Have you ever heard of natural immunity, which has been buried at worst or minimized at best throughout this pandemic? Guess what, for many other diseases it's considered wonderful........except for Covid. The political climate has caused an IQ loss among certain in the population that don't think things through, but believe every word from our trustworthy government. Or maybe you'd like to make Big Pharma even richer. Did you know they have wealthy lobbyists?

Real easy, this country wasn't founded on mandates. You're being melodramatic ..... economic THREAT. Seriously? Most have gotten vaccinated. Have you ever heard of natural immunity, which has been buried at worst or minimized at best throughout this pandemic? Guess what, for many other diseases it's considered wonderful........except for Covid. The political climate has caused an IQ loss among certain in the population that don't think things through, but believe every word from our trustworthy government. Or maybe you'd like to make Big Pharma even richer. Did you know they have wealthy lobbyists?
no--you are scientifically & historically wrong. Enough said.

Details are available for 43 cases of COVID-19 attributed to the Omicron variant; 25 (58%) were in persons aged 18–39 years (Table). The earliest date of symptom onset was November 15 in a person with a history of international travel. Fourteen (33%) persons reported international travel during the 14 days preceding symptom onset or receipt of a positive test result. Among these cases of COVID-19 attributed to the Omicron variant, 34 (79%) occurred in persons who completed the primary series of an FDA-authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine ≥14 days before symptom onset or receipt of a positive SARS-CoV-2 test result, including 14 who had received an additional or booster dose; five of the 14 persons had received the additional dose <14 days before symptom onset. Six (14%) persons had a documented previous SARS-CoV-2 infection. The most commonly reported symptoms were cough, fatigue, and congestion or runny nose. One vaccinated patient was hospitalized for 2 days, and no deaths have been reported to date. Case investigations have identified exposures associated with international and domestic travel, large public events, and household transmission.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7050e1.htm?s_cid=mm7050e1_w

Looks like vaccine efficacy is quickly dropping with omicron. Makes one wonder how necessary it is to continue getting boosters when 32% of those who had a third booster still got omicron. I am sure when covid is long gone and the political atmosphere surrounding it has moved on to some other dire threat, most honest historical analysts will conclude that the overreaction taken by most governments did more harm that good. They will most likely note that sure it was a nasty virus, but it could have been handled better by primary health providers and common sense, not politicians, social media and the MSM.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7050e1.htm?s_cid=mm7050e1_w

Looks like vaccine efficacy is quickly dropping with omicron. Makes one wonder how necessary it is to continue getting boosters when 32% of those who had a third booster still got omicron. I am sure when covid is long gone and the political atmosphere surrounding it has moved on to some other dire threat, most honest historical analysts will conclude that the overreaction taken by most governments did more harm that good. They will most likely note that sure it was a nasty virus, but it could have been handled better by primary health providers and common sense, not politicians, social media and the MSM.
Early studies are showing that Omicron is less serious because it doesn't have the same impact on lungs that previous iterations had. As for your suggestion that the response to Covid was an overreaction I disagree. A pandemic that kills almost a million Americans in a short period of time has to be addressed with strong protective measures unless we're willing to allow millions more to die.

I think the only thing that could have been handled better was the lockdown early on. That was felt to be necessary until a vaccine could be developed and widely administered. But the experience of South Korea showed that infection rates and death toll could be substantially reduced without a lockdown if a) testing and isolation were very well organized and there was good cooperation from the general population and b) protective measures such as masks and social distancing were widely adopted.

To date South Korea, despite having no lockdown initially, has seen only 5,625 total deaths. If other countries could have successfully implemented South Korea's approach many lives could have been spared without damaging their economies. But it requires competent management by government agencies, consistent messaging from leaders and good compliance by the public. None of that happened in the US.

No doubt there will be another pandemic, maybe within our lifetimes. The next one could be milder or it could be much worse. The worst-case scenario is a pathogen with the infection rate of measles and the fatality rate of viruses like HIV, Marburg or Rabies. We can learn from Covid and prepare for the next pandemic. South Korea offers lessons on how an early, organized response can have remarkable results in preventing spread. The US lessons are more along the lines of what not to do.

While I appreciate your position, and have no problem with your "plea," I simply disagree with your bolded assertion.

I won't bore you with repeating the information about who is at most risk, that the data shows large case numbers don't equate to serious ills or death, that most people who don't fall into the two high risk groups typically suffer no more than normal flu-like symptoms. Nor am I an "anti-vaxxer" in the sense that I don't oppose it, I simply prefer not to do it.

I will point out that we should all know that vaccinations don't stop anyone from being infected, nor prevent a vaccinated person from spreading the disease. That the "science" is finally admitting that over-the-counter paper masks don't do much to stop the spread either, and IMO if "reused" over and over again might even serve to reinfect someone or cause a second "positive" nasal test.

I am a healthy person. I initially chose not to vaccinate because of concerns it might affect my normal immune system. However, when "promised" that if I vaccinated I would not have to wear a mask anymore, I opted to get the "one shot and done" shot back in June 2021. That "promise" turned out to be a lie. As a result, I have refused to get any boosters.

Over the Thanksgiving Holiday I tested positive. I notified my work and was placed on 10 day quarantine. I had NO symptoms. NO ill effects of any kind. I was already on a scheduled vacation, so I just hung out at home and enjoyed the time off. I do not equate the vaccine as the basis of this non-event. I know it is my normal healthy immune system which did the work.

So I disagree that I am "taking a far greater risk," as I don't see myself at risk at all. I am not "obese," and while I am in the "older" age group I have no "pre-existing co-morbidities" of any kind. I am confident that my immune system will do the job. Just as it did throughout all of 2020 and up to June 2021 when I got that shot, and as it did after I "tested positive."

I am not suggesting anyone else do as I have. I am not arguing that people should not vaccinate. Those who choose to vaccinate have my blessing.

I AM stating that it should be an individual choice, and not a compulsion based on fearmongering, threats, or appeals to emotion.

Last edited:
While I appreciate your position, and have no problem with your "plea," I simply disagree with your bolded assertion.

I won't bore you with repeating the information about who is at most risk, that the data shows large case numbers don't equate to serious ills or death, that most people who don't fall into the two high risk groups typically suffer no more than normal flu-like symptoms. Nor am I an "anti-vaxxer" in the sense that I don't oppose it, I simply prefer not to do it.

I will point out that we should all know that vaccinations don't stop anyone from being infected, nor prevent a vaccinated person from spreading the disease. That the "science" is finally admitting that over-the-counter paper masks don't do much to stop the spread either, and IMO if "reused" over and over again might even serve to reinfect someone or cause a second "positive" nasal test.

I am a healthy person. I initially chose not to vaccinate because of concerns it might affect my normal immune system. However, when "promised" that if I vaccinated I would not have to wear a mask anymore, I opted to get the "one shot and done" shot back in June 2021. That "promise" turned out to be a lie. As a result, I have refused to get any boosters.

Over the Thanksgiving Holiday I tested positive. I notified my work and was placed on 10 day quarantine. I had NO symptoms. NO ill effects of any kind. I was already on a scheduled vacation, so I just hung out at home and enjoyed the time off. I do not equate the vaccine as the basis of this non-event. I know it is my normal healthy immune system which did the work.

So I disagree that I am "taking a far greater risk," as I don't see myself at risk at all. I am not "obese," and while I am in the "older" age group I have no "pre-existing co-morbidities" of any kind. I am confident that my immune system will do the job. Just as it did throughout all of 2020 and up to June 2021 when I got that shot, and as it did after I "tested positive."

I am not suggesting anyone else do as I have. I am not arguing that people should not vaccinate. Those who choose to vaccinate have my blessing.

I AM stating that it should be an individual choice, and not a compulsion based on fearmongering, threats, or appeals to emotion.
You just stated my position precisely.

The political climate has caused an IQ loss among certain in the population that don't think things through, but believe every word from our trustworthy government.

There's no way you're an American.

Back
Top Bottom