• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

PLease DON'T fall for phony Beto!

markjs

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Beto is a fresh face that establishment "swamp" corporate democrats have pegged as "the new Obama". Perhaps he has the charisma to win, and while literallly almost anything would be an improvement over Trump, Beto is an empty suit, one of the WORST choices America could make.

I'm not hot on Biden, just basically more Obama, but I find even him more preferable. Beto is a fresh face that is able to raise money, there is no substance, no dept, no real experience. I really hope we stop hearing his name soon. I think if we don't, we'll all regret it.:roll:

I respectfully disagree. I was very impressed when I saw the O'Rourke answer regarding the NFL players taking a knee controversy. He did not dodge or weave or try to move the goal posts. He gave a firm answer and supported their right when the easy thing to do in Texas would be to wave the flag and demand others salute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAw9eXXVwfM

I am 69 and have lived long enough to remember the JFK campaign which first interested me when I was in the sixth grade. And in 68 I campaigned for Bobby. O'Rourke reminds me of that character both had - a youthful charisma that made you want to believe its an American in something bigger than just your own self interests.

You cannot manufacture that. You cannot create that. You cannot script that. Its something few have and Beto has it.

And right now the country needs it in spades.

Beto is a fresh face that establishment "swamp" corporate democrats have pegged as "the new Obama". Perhaps he has the charisma to win, and while literallly almost anything would be an improvement over Trump, Beto is an empty suit, one of the WORST choices America could make.

I'm not hot on Biden, just basically more Obama, but I find even him more preferable. Beto is a fresh face that is able to raise money, there is no substance, no dept, no real experience. I really hope we stop hearing his name soon. I think if we don't, we'll all regret it.:roll:

The larger that the initial herd of far left demorat candidates is, then the more likely that they are to share that portion of the base's vote rather thinly among each other. That is a good thing if there are only one or two moderates to share the not so far left portion of primary vote.

That is basically how Trump emerged during the 2016 republicant primary - there were loads of establishment republicants who shared that portion of the primary vote among themselves and one rather odd populist (Trump) to accept the rest of the "oh no, not one of them again" primary vote.

Completely agree; white Obama at best without the charisma or experience, and like the person he is often compared to, a false/pseudo progressive per his voting history. Not sure why this guy is so beloved among the mainstream press beyond a scant modicum of charisma and an apparent willingness to tow the uninspiring establishment democrat line regarding policy.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/12/what-does-beto-orourke-actually-stand-for

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/12/21/18150359/beto-orourke-voting-record

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...t-progressive-enough-1207-20181206-story.html

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry...4e4b08aaf7a91035a?ec_carp=2343902744936884964

I'm not fooled; hard pass.

I definitely have not made up my mind on Beto, but you do realize that the same things were said about Obama right?

I respectfully disagree. I was very impressed when I saw the O'Rourke answer regarding the NFL players taking a knee controversy. He did not dodge or weave or try to move the goal posts. He gave a firm answer and supported their right when the easy thing to do in Texas would be to wave the flag and demand others salute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAw9eXXVwfM

I am 69 and have lived long enough to remember the JFK campaign which first interested me when I was in the sixth grade. And in 68 I campaigned for Bobby. O'Rourke reminds me of that character both had - a youthful charisma that made you want to believe its an American in something bigger than just your own self interests.

You cannot manufacture that. You cannot create that. You cannot script that. Its something few have and Beto has it.

And right now the country needs it in spades.

He has the gift Obama had, charisma, enough to fool you he's on your side, but he took the big oil money when it really came down to it. The guy will turn out to be a lot more centrist and ineffwectual like Obama. I wanna see someone with fight, like Warren (I expect her to fill the VP ticket, I am pretty sure it will be her or another woman), or Bernie, with rel progressive values. Going "GOP Lite" is not gonna win this for us and that's what Beto will be in the end.

Even though he's not as progressive as I'd like, a guy like Richard Ojeda excites me a lot more than Beto, and I think will have broader appeal.

I definitely have not made up my mind on Beto, but you do realize that the same things were said about Obama right?

(And it was true of Obama! Obama was a pro wall street, centrist dem, not the progressive leader he was portrayed to be. I didn't hate him, but he was far from a preseident I loved.

He has the gift Obama had, charisma, enough to fool you he's on your side, but he took the big oil money when it really came down to it. The guy will turn out to be a lot more centrist and ineffwectual like Obama. I wanna see someone with fight, like Warren (I expect her to fill the VP ticket, I am pretty sure it will be her or another woman), or Bernie, with rel progressive values. Going "GOP Lite" is not gonna win this for us and that's what Beto will be in the end.

Even though he's not as progressive as I'd like, a guy like Richard Ojeda excites me a lot more than Beto, and I think will have broader appeal.

100% agree. If we're going for a more moderate, southern candidate, Ojeda all the way. Despite losing, his accomplishment was infinitely more impressive than Beto's in light of his riding being the most hostile in the country and the incredible 32 point gain he made there, plus I actually know where the guy stands without having to investigate him; dude's as honest and forthright as they come.

I have a feeling he is a bit like Obama, he says all the right things, but when he gets the chance to act on them I have my doubts he will.

I’m really not all that pleased with the current Democratic field. I think they can beat Trump, but I won’t exactly be looking forward to their presidency when they do. I’ll just be releaved to have Trump out of my life.

I supported Bernie in the 2016 primaries. I supported Obama in the 2008 primaries and worked for him gratis for the last several weeks of the campaign in Michigan.

We now have a ignorant criminal in the White House who is badly dividing this nation . We need somebody on the Dem side who can kick his sorry ass back to Trump Tower. That person is Robert Francis O'Rourke.

(And it was true of Obama! Obama was a pro wall street, centrist dem, not the progressive leader he was portrayed to be. I didn't hate him, but he was far from a preseident I loved.

Like I said, I haven't made my mind up yet and neither have the Dems. As soon as the Dems show their hands, I'll make my decision.

I supported Bernie in the 2016 primaries. I supported Obama in the 2008 primaries and worked for him gratis for the last several weeks of the campaign in Michigan.

We now have a ignorant criminal in the White House who is badly dividing this nation . We need somebody on the Dem side who can kick his sorry ass back to Trump Tower. That person is Robert Francis O'Rourke.

That person is actually quite a few people in the Dem field. Sanders is one, Ojeda is another; hell even most of the uninspiring moderates could probably do it in all honesty despite being more of a risk. I'm not at all sure why an empty suit moderate psuedo-progressive like Beto is _the_ silver bullet here in your eyes; he has a bit of charisma, doubtless, but that's about it.

100% agree. If we're going for a more moderate, southern candidate, Ojeda all the way. Despite losing, his accomplishment was infinitely more impressive than Beto's in light of his riding being the most hostile in the country and the incredible 32 point gain he made there.

I like Ojeda and how he carries himself. A debate between Ojeda and Trump would be fun to watch. Also, some of the things people like in Trump are supposedly that he is a straight talker, unapologetic, and tough. I think those are arguable, but it is popular opinion among his base. Well, Ojeda has those traits also. It would be interesting.

The DNC needs a very qualified candidate who is strong on the environment, foreign policy, health care and education. Then they should pair that candidate with an Independent or somebody like John Kasich and show the country what unity really is. So no, no Beto. I agree with the OP. The message that needs to be driven home in 2020 is that the President is not a character on a television show. We will not tolerate any more of this. We will reel in the extreme factions of the left and right and create a more efficient government that is done with the stupidity we've been dealing with for 4 years.

I think Trump will win again, though. All of what I just said sounds great but it only works if people aren't stupid (and they are).

Completely agree; white Obama at best without the charisma or experience, and like the person he is often compared to, a false/pseudo progressive per his voting history. Not sure why this guy is so beloved among the mainstream press beyond a scant modicum of charisma and an apparent willingness to tow the uninspiring establishment democrat line regarding policy.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/12/what-does-beto-orourke-actually-stand-for

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/12/21/18150359/beto-orourke-voting-record

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...t-progressive-enough-1207-20181206-story.html

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry...4e4b08aaf7a91035a?ec_carp=2343902744936884964

I'm not fooled; hard pass.

Barak Obama was a Senator for only 3 years before winning the Presidency. Beto O'Rourke was in Congress for 6 years, El Paso city council for 5 years, and a business owner. I would say he has more experience than Obama early career wise. We don't know if Beto will run yet.

I have a bad feeling about 2020. I see the Greens and libertarians trying to recruit well known celebrities to run and then of course the progressive democrats will have a purity thing. Ugh. Feinstein just came out and said she would endorse Biden. Sanders is getting ready to do House parties next week all over the country for grassroots support. Anyone else have a feeling we will see 20 plus candidates here?

I have a bad feeling about 2020. I see the Greens and libertarians trying to recruit well known celebrities to run and then of course the progressive democrats will have a purity thing. Ugh. Feinstein just came out and said she would endorse Biden. Sanders is getting ready to do House parties next week all over the country for grassroots support. Anyone else have a feeling we will see 20 plus candidates here?

Look, I wanna see Medicare for all, that's my number one issue and polling says 70% of America is there with me. Even that Koch funded study shows it would save money. That's still, in the country an "extremely progressive" position, but only because of the money in politics. The Progressive wing of the party is the side fighting this. I'd still vote for Beto over Trump, and I'm not sure I really "hate" the guy. I just think it's a case of a guy with a lot of charisma, being just one more corporate dem. I will not go third party, Trump has to go, one way or the other.

I just think we already have better options, Warren, Sanders, Kamala Harris even (if you want a fresher face). I think these are the people that really excite the base and for real reasons, not charisma reasons.

I have a feeling he is a bit like Obama, he says all the right things, but when he gets the chance to act on them I have my doubts he will.

I’m really not all that pleased with the current Democratic field. I think they can beat Trump, but I won’t exactly be looking forward to their presidency when they do. I’ll just be releaved to have Trump out of my life.

Arent there any democratic governors out there who have a chance? A governor at least has executive experience. These senators and congressmen are just hacks.

Barak Obama was a Senator for only 3 years before winning the Presidency. Beto O'Rourke was in Congress for 6 years, El Paso city council for 5 years, and a business owner. I would say he has more experience than Obama early career wise. We don't know if Beto will run yet.

Right, I more mean the Obama of today; that he's comparable as a pseudo-progressive with uninspiring policy, or pretenses of inspiring policy that never reach fuition.

What didn't you like about Obama?

Arent there any democratic governors out there who have a chance? A governor at least has executive experience. These senators and congressmen are just hacks.

I’m sure there will be. I have a feeling there will be about as many candidates in th Democratic primary this time as Republicans last time.

No thanks. Beto holds a lot of the same views that Trump does.

I’m sure there will be. I have a feeling there will be about as many candidates in th Democratic primary this time as Republicans last time.

Ive always liked Ed Rendell of Pennsylvania. I dont think he plans on running but I could deal with a guy like him in the White House.

Back
Top Bottom