• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

PlayStation 5

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
So after like an hour and half of error messages on Friday I finally managed to pre-order a PlayStation 5. Anyone else pre-order one or play to buy one soonish after launch?

I bought it mainly just to have a better way to play PS4 games and have a 4K BluRay player all in one machine. I got Assassin's Creed Valhalla though to have something new to play.

I don't have an UHD TV yet, so PS4 is good enough for a while for me. I do plan on getting one eventually, but probably not until 4 or 5 years after release like I did getting a PS2, PS3 and PS4.

I don't have an UHD TV yet, so PS4 is good enough for a while for me. I do plan on getting one eventually, but probably not until 4 or 5 years after release like I did getting a PS2, PS3 and PS4.
I was very late in getting a PS4 but enough exclusives eventually piled up to warrant getting one. If the PS5 was not backwards compatible I would probably not bother with it for years either.

Computer games all the way. I find console games inherently limited.

That's why I do both. Still have an NES, Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 in use besides my PC and PS4. I can also play my GameCube, PS2, SNES etc on my PC. We live in a golden age for gaming.

But there are many great exclusives only available on PlayStation or Switch. Will probably never get an Xbox though because everything is available on PC. Certain games are still definitely better on PC.

I also really need to upgrade my PC (a gaming laptop) as it is getting old now but it feels like as soon as I start reaching it something new and better will release just a months later so I just don't feel like it.

That's why I do both. Still have an NES, Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 in use besides my PC and PS4. I can also play my GameCube, PS2, SNES etc on my PC. We live in a golden age for gaming.
You still have an nes? man the adventure of getting those cartridges to read and not crash was just as involved as the actual game. Go play the original final fantasy game on nes, 20 ish hours of gameplay per save, 10 hours of blowing on the cart to get it to load in a game cycle, and double that time because static electricity would probably erase your save atleast once.

So after like an hour and half of error messages on Friday I finally managed to pre-order a PlayStation 5. Anyone else pre-order one or play to buy one soonish after launch?

I bought it mainly just to have a better way to play PS4 games and have a 4K BluRay player all in one machine. I got Assassin's Creed Valhalla though to have something new to play.

One thing apparently you may want to continue checking is your order status depending on where you ordered from.

I've seen some reports that places like BestBuy have unilaterally cancelled orders and simply refunded due to stock shortages which is nuts, can't just put people in a queue.

Good on yah for being able to get one, heard it was a nightmare and I certainly had quite the adventure ordering the Series X which I was pretty luck to nab one I think, all the major retailers simply would not work, the entire TheSource website was down, not just that page, BestBuy crashed for me on payment 5 times, WalMart let me cart it 4 times before saying the cart was empty, wild stuff.

One thing apparently you may want to continue checking is your order status depending on where you ordered from.

I've seen some reports that places like BestBuy have unilaterally cancelled orders and simply refunded due to stock shortages which is nuts, can't just put people in a queue.

Good on yah for being able to get one, heard it was a nightmare and I certainly had quite the adventure ordering the Series X which I was pretty luck to nab one I think, all the major retailers simply would not work, the entire TheSource website was down, not just that page, BestBuy crashed for me on payment 5 times, WalMart let me cart it 4 times before saying the cart was empty, wild stuff.
I still have mine, I think EB Games is a pretty safe bet. It took me like 10 tries to checkout, then I tried the PayPal Express checkout as that requires a lot less pages and is done on PayPal's website. Took only three tries.

I still have mine, I think EB Games is a pretty safe bet. It took me like 10 tries to checkout, then I tried the PayPal Express checkout as that requires a lot less pages and is done on PayPal's website. Took only three tries.

It'll be interesting to see what's going to happen this generation.

Sony clearly won this generation and I'm not saying this from a Console Wars Fan Boi perspective, I do just find it interesting from a business perspective, Microsoft, clearly was on the back foot, especially in terms of content.

But I see the two diverging in terms of strategy, so, Microsoft buying Bethesda was a huge game changer in this regard, it's a very aggressive move and stuff like that, Project XCloud, the incredible value of the Xbox Ultimate Game Pass (which will include EA play) set a new paradigm in the fact it's not just about the hardware, it's about getting people engaged in their ecosystem any way they can.

I think for the first few years, Sony will still be king on content, but I think in an overall capacity, Xbox may be building up in a way that is gonna totally turn the tables on Sony and Sony doesn't seem to, at this point have an answer.

It'll be interesting to see what's going to happen this generation.

Sony clearly won this generation and I'm not saying this from a Console Wars Fan Boi perspective, I do just find it interesting from a business perspective, Microsoft, clearly was on the back foot, especially in terms of content.

But I see the two diverging in terms of strategy, so, Microsoft buying Bethesda was a huge game changer in this regard, it's a very aggressive move and stuff like that, Project XCloud, the incredible value of the Xbox Ultimate Game Pass (which will include EA play) set a new paradigm in the fact it's not just about the hardware, it's about getting people engaged in their ecosystem any way they can.

I think for the first few years, Sony will still be king on content, but I think in an overall capacity, Xbox may be building up in a way that is gonna totally turn the tables on Sony and Sony doesn't seem to, at this point have an answer.
I can really only speak for my situation. I have literally no reason to ever buy an Xbox, unless I wanted to try the backwards compatibility but even then I have a PC, I can get every "exclusive" that releases on Xbox and many older releases anyways. And with xCloud even more people will have no reason to buy an Xbox. PlayStation 5 will always have its exclusives and is basically guaranteed to dominate their home market of Japan. Even in the 360/PS3 generation Sony started off on the backfoot but eventually won in the end.

I will just wait until Nov. Right now I don't own any kind of playstation (I have everything else), so it will be a nice addition to my collection.

I can really only speak for my situation. I have literally no reason to ever buy an Xbox, unless I wanted to try the backwards compatibility but even then I have a PC, I can get every "exclusive" that releases on Xbox and many older releases anyways. And with xCloud even more people will have no reason to buy an Xbox. PlayStation 5 will always have its exclusives and is basically guaranteed to dominate their home market of Japan. Even in the 360/PS3 generation Sony started off on the backfoot but eventually won in the end.

That generation was the last one in which I owned both, I've just become too invested in Xbox ecosystem to switch now and again, able to afford both anyway.

I am excited for the Series X though, it seems like a very good piece of kit and one thing I forgot in the last post, Microsoft has actually sent out hardware to outlets and even sizeable Youtubers to test out features, which was a very surprising move, like, Microsoft are not content to let things go down the same way they did this Gen and I think Sony may be resting on their laurels a bit too much in this regard, they're being very traditionalist in their approach to this release, which don't get me wrong, they're still gonna sells tens of millions of units and they're gonna do great things with great IP's.

But yeah I mean, I've missed out on Spiderman, God of War and Ghosts of Tsushima, games I thought looked absolutely spectacular and yeah, really wish I could play them, Sony has said they may do more PC releases and I Think that's a positive move too.

I still have my N64 (sentimental reason since it's a gift from hubby with a cute story behind it), with tons of games.
I play only with PS2 (ps1 games too) - it's the hassle of changing attachments, that's why.

Hey there, how is it? Give us an update.

I just have everything (except a PS5, but I will probably try to get one later this summer).

Ryzen 3600 + 2060 desktop
Ryzen 4600h + 1650 laptop
Xbox Series X
Switch
RaspberryPi 4 running RetroPi

I stopped my acquisitions a bit to get a house (which ... don't buy a house right now, its insane) and right now I am looking at engagement rings

Back
Top Bottom