• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Playing God?

Geo Patric

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The genome pioneer J. Craig Venter has taken another step in his quest to create synthetic life, by synthesizing an entire bacterial genome and using it to take over a cell.

Dr. Venter calls the result a “synthetic cell” and is presenting the research as a landmark achievement that will open the way to creating useful microbes from scratch to make products like vaccines and biofuels. At a press conference Thursday, Dr. Venter described the converted cell as “the first self-replicating species we’ve had on the planet whose parent is a computer.”
Synthetic Bacterial Genome Takes Over Cell - NYTimes.com

this little critter has already replicated over a billion times. it is very definitely alive.

but... is it a something in itself?

geo.

what the hell are you talking about?

Cell_480x360.jpg

But, but, but, I thought you said there is no god.:mrgreen:

oh oh.... now i am in DEEP stew. wait'll Kali hears about THIS.

geo.

We took God's DNA molecule and inserted it into an already living cell. Maybe we were doing God a favor? :mrgreen:

God never needed to insert anything to create life, they call her simple old "Mary" for a reason. Apparently, these scientists needed to insert something--so no, no God playing for them.

If God didn't want us playing with his toys, he shouldn't have left them in the sandbox.

man is given authority over (and responsibility for) nature. i think it is when we begin to mess around with spiritual creatures (our fellow humans) that we need to worry about 'playing god'; not bacteria.

man is given authority over (and responsibility for) nature. i think it is when we begin to mess around with spiritual creatures (our fellow humans) that we need to worry about 'playing god'; not bacteria.

What is it our bodies are composed of, again? Certainly not cells. Good thing we aren't synthesizing those.

What is it our bodies are composed of, again? Certainly not cells. Good thing we aren't synthesizing those.

what, you mean like when we put in organ transplants, bone marrow transplants, etc?

Back
Top Bottom