• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Plant-based?

Look at the facts with industrial meat and fishing. Yes there is such a thing as right and wrong and industrialized meat and fishing is wrong.

You are attacking a person who agrees with you.

Unlike you, I know there isn't much of anything I can do about it.

So I don't sweat the small stuff I have no control of.

I deal with the big stuff that I can do something about.

If you want to attack someone, attack someone who doesn't agree with you.

You are attacking a person who does agree with you on the meat industry in this nation. Which is a waste of yours and my time.

I think you are just upset that a liberal actually agrees with you so you have to attack me.

Grow up.

What do you mean by plant based?
Vegetarians and vegans are very different. I'm a lifelong vegetarian and over my lifetime I have seen many food trends and people "trying out" vegetarianism. Those are - ironically - the proselytizers.
I don't advertise my vegetarianism, though it is for personal and ethical reasons. I have been judged plenty. I simply live my life and order appropriately at restaurants. I don't make a thing about it in a group - if they don't have a vegetarian entree I order appetizers or sides or whatever. I don't ask them to make me anything special or make sure the rest of the table knows I don't eat meat.

What I do often get is others, upon finding out I am a vegetarian, wanting to prove some sort of worthiness to me. They really need to tell me they don't eat red meat, or they only eat a little bit of meat, or only fish. I have zero judgment and it's very awkward to be having those conversations. I honestly do not care what others eat. Do I wish people would consider animal treatment and factory farming? Absolutely. I think people don't need me educating them.
I also have gotten plenty of flack from others who can't imagine a vegetarian being able to sustain a pregnancy or breastfeed a baby. It's really bizarre.

As for veganism, I have done it. It's become political whereas vegetarianism is more personal, if that makes sense.
The reason people seem to hate vegans is many of them seem very insecure in their choices and appear to be making those choices for external validation rather than from within. They usually don't stick with it. Otherwise, I like a lot of things about it - mostly the fact that fewer animals suffer.

You are attacking a person who agrees with you.

Unlike you, I know there isn't much of anything I can do about it.

So I don't sweat the small stuff I have no control of.

I deal with the big stuff that I can do something about.

If you want to attack someone, attack someone who doesn't agree with you.

You are attacking a person who does agree with you on the meat industry in this nation. Which is a waste of yours and my time.

I think you are just upset that a liberal actually agrees with you so you have to attack me.

Grow up.
And again feel free to show where I attacked you.

How plant-based was your diet (or will be), this week?

What plant-based food would you like to try?

How is plant-based relevant to much more than food?
Well, pretty much all of the cereal I eat is plant based as are the hot dog and hamburger buns I have on occasion. Even the occasional chocolate bar is plant based.

Do I wish people would consider animal treatment and factory farming? Absolutely.
Personally I think it's incumbent on people who are aware of this to make others aware. Most people have no idea.

How plant-based was your diet (or will be), this week?

What plant-based food would you like to try?

How is plant-based relevant to much more than food?
I don’t like highly processed plant-based products such as veggie burgers or products like Quorn so when I cook vegetarian or vegan dishes, I use more natural products. I only grow herbs and salad leaves in my small garden but have just planted some carrots and celeriac. My parents have a large garden and greenhouse so they give me loads of stuff in summer. I always try to buy locally. Fruit and vegetables grown all year round in Africa and South America and then flown around the world are incredibly detrimental to the environment. People do Veganuary in the northern hemisphere which is kind of pointless if done for environmental concerns. The harvest in August would be the time of year to do that.

I try to limit my meat intake by avoiding supermarket meat, fish, eggs and most dairy products. The reasons are many: environmental concern, animal welfare, price gouging which negativity affects farmers, fishermen and food producers. Taste as well, the difference between beef, lamb, pork and chicken sourced from an ethical butcher to the shrink wrapped meat portions in supermarkets is night and day.

The EU has much stricter laws about the use of hormones, antibiotics and chemicals in food production than everywhere else in the world. But I really should try to do more.

it is very political for some people just not most

It is likely more an ethical rather than political motivation to choose to eat mainly or only plants. Those who may wish to mandate such dietary practices may be notable exceptions.

Is there anything that isn't political now?

Can't food just be sustenance? Why does it have to be political?

Yes people should be able to eat what they want. It's no one's business what people choose to eat.

Extreme case: We should be okay with what Jeffrey Dahmer liked to eat?

It is likely more an ethical rather than political motivation to choose to eat mainly or only plants. Those who may wish to mandate such dietary practices may be notable exceptions.
For some it is ethical for some it is both ethical and political. Example those who want the consumption of meat to end for environmental reasons

For some it is ethical for some it is both ethical and political. Example those who want the consumption of meat to end for environmental reasons
I’m not sure caring about the environment is political. People on both sides of the isle care about the environment .

I’m not sure caring about the environment is political. People on both sides of the isle care about the environment .
Trying to get people to stop eating meat for the environment is political though

Back
Top Bottom