• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Planning to Go Into Marines---Advice?

Tigerace117

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Hey everybody---I'm a guy who lives in Chicago whose going to be turning 17 in a month. I'm planning to go into the Marines after I graduate from high school. I was just wondering if anybody had advice for me so I will have a better chance of getting in shape for boot camp? I'm already lifting weights multiple times a week, but I know there's probably more I need to do.

Thanks!

You should get aerobic exercise in. So run. Get some not expensive trainers and run up and down the lakeshore path. Or I hear the 606 is nice.

My boyfriend is big on running, but personally I hate it. Instead I'm a swimmer. Some of the LA Fitnesses around here have pools.

Hey everybody---I'm a guy who lives in Chicago whose going to be turning 17 in a month. I'm planning to go into the Marines after I graduate from high school. I was just wondering if anybody had advice for me so I will have a better chance of getting in shape for boot camp? I'm already lifting weights multiple times a week, but I know there's probably more I need to do.

Thanks!

Yeah. Go Army! ;)

Focus on endurance training. You'll be glad you did once basic training gets under way.

You might also want to go ahead and limit some of life's luxuries ahead of time, so you'll adapt to military life quicker - for example, you're gonna have to get used to showering very, very quickly.

Thanks!

When you get there remember this phrase.... This too shall pass.

I went in at 17.

It was supposed to be three months of basic. Screwed up my leg and ended up six months.

What kept me going was the realization that boot camp was a phase and better things (than boor camp) awaited.

Focus on endurance training. You'll be glad you did once basic training gets under way.

You might also want to go ahead and limit some of life's luxuries ahead of time, so you'll adapt to military life quicker - for example, you're gonna have to get used to showering very, very quickly.

Good info.

Make sure you get the soap nice and slippery before you get into the shower. Quickest way to make friends in the Marines.

Thanks!

Jessie is correct, endurance training is a must. I'm sure you know some basics of the type of training you'll receive. Take that and use it to your advantage. If you don't know...find out now. I never went into the army, couldn't stand the thought of killing someone for some government official. I'd kill to protect my family and myself, but being sent off to do some government officials bidding never seemed right to me personally. But I do know some basics, like endurance is a MUST. Carrying 60lb backpacks plus your gun for 5-10 even 20 miles (not sure on the 20 miles...just heard about it, never knew if it was true or not) while running the whole way is definitely going to require it. And be prepared to be yelled at...lots. I hear that sergeants LOVE to yell.

If you do make it.... Semper Fi.

Thanks!

Tell you what I told my son- If you're gonna do military, do it as an officer.

When you get there remember this phrase.... This too shall pass.

I went in at 17.

It was supposed to be three months of basic. Screwed up my leg and ended up six months.

What kept me going was the realization that boot camp was a phase and better things (than boor camp) awaited.

Jessie is correct, endurance training is a must. I'm sure you know some basics of the type of training you'll receive. Take that and use it to your advantage. If you don't know...find out now. I never went into the army, couldn't stand the thought of killing someone for some government official. I'd kill to protect my family and myself, but being sent off to do some government officials bidding never seemed right to me personally. But I do know some basics, like endurance is a MUST. Carrying 60lb backpacks plus your gun for 5-10 even 20 miles (not sure on the 20 miles...just heard about it, never knew if it was true or not) while running the whole way is definitely going to require it. And be prepared to be yelled at...lots. I hear that sergeants LOVE to yell.

If you do make it.... Semper Fi.

You should get aerobic exercise in. So run. Get some not expensive trainers and run up and down the lakeshore path. Or I hear the 606 is nice.

My boyfriend is big on running, but personally I hate it. Instead I'm a swimmer. Some of the LA Fitnesses around here have pools.

Tell you what I told my son- If you're gonna do military, do it as an officer.

Should I have somebody timing me or just run? Also, do you guys think I should practice with the exact distance I'm going to have to do or should I go further so when I have to do it for real it will be easier?

Thanks again

Should I have somebody timing me or just run? Also, do you guys think I should practice with the exact distance I'm going to have to do or should I go further so when I have to do it for real it will be easier?

Thanks again

I can't give much advice on proper excercise techniques, but for lifting weights you're gonna want to pay more attention to reps than to weight, and for jogging, you should shoot for at least a mile a day, if not more. Swimming excercises a lot of muscles at once.

I would look online for endurance training advice. I'm sure you can find a forum for it.

Thank you for thinking of serving

But let me ask you...why the marines?

What do you want out of the military?

What do you want to accomplish?

before I give any advice, it would be nice to know what is on your mind

Are you wanting to further your education?

Are you looking for a career in the military?

Are you looking for training in a specific job that will translate to a job once you transition back into civilian life?

I know...a lot to think about for a 17 year old man.....

But the more you consider these questions now.....the better off you will be later

I look forward to your responses

Thanks again

Minimum requirements for running is 28 minutes for three miles.

Best to be at least a 24 minute runner or better.

Three miles is the goal. That is what I targeted.

Five miles is good if you can do it as a break in training.

Your body will let you know when you go too far.

I would focus on pull ups, sit ups, and 3 mile runs, as these things make up your physical fitness test (pft). I didn't have a ton of upper body strength and almost no coordination, so I wish looking back that I would've focused more on pull ups. If the pft is that same as it was in '89, for a perfect score you'll need 20 pull ups, 80 sit ups in 2 minutes, and an 18 minute 3 mile run. Run in a hilly area. We could do something called the "kip" when doing pull ups, which involves using your legs to create a motion that jerks your body over the bar. I would also practice push ups and bends and thrusts, as those were the things we had to do over and over when in trouble.

I would also consider finding a rope to climb as well, if you can. And if you're afraid of heights, try to challenge yourself with different things before you go, but that's not as big of a deal.

I would focus on pull ups, sit ups, and 3 mile runs, as these things make up your physical fitness test (pft). I didn't have a ton of upper body strength and almost no coordination, so I wish looking back that I would've focused more on pull ups. If the pft is that same as it was in '89, for a perfect score you'll need 20 pull ups, 80 sit ups in 2 minutes, and an 18 minute 3 mile run. Run in a hilly area. We could do something called the "kip" when doing pull ups, which involves using your legs to create a motion that jerks your body over the bar. I would also practice push ups and bends and thrusts, as those were the things we had to do over and over when in trouble.

I would also consider finding a rope to climb as well, if you can. And if you're afraid of heights, try to challenge yourself with different things before you go, but that's not as big of a deal.

Pull ups were my kryptonite early on. Got worse when they banned kipping.

Thank you for thinking of serving

But let me ask you...why the marines?

What do you want out of the military?

What do you want to accomplish?

before I give any advice, it would be nice to know what is on your mind

Are you wanting to further your education?

Are you looking for a career in the military?

Are you looking for training in a specific job that will translate to a job once you transition back into civilian life?

I know...a lot to think about for a 17 year old man.....

But the more you consider these questions now.....the better off you will be later

I look forward to your responses

I've always wanted to be a marine since I was a little kid---being part of something bigger than me and protecting my country and all. I do want to go to college, but I'm not in a hurry in regards to that and through the military I won't have to pay for it either when I do decide to continue ,my schooling.

It's entirely possible I may make a career out of the military but first I would have to get in-first thing's first and all haha

I'm not sure as to what I'd want to do once I get out of the military

Thanks!

Don't worry too much about weight lifting. Put 15-20 lbs...... into a knapsack and learn to run 10 miles with it before boot camp. You don't have to make great time, but at least have that endurance built up before you get to Basic Training.

Minimum requirements for running is 28 minutes for three miles.

Best to be at least a 24 minute runner or better.

Three miles is the goal. That is what I targeted.

Five miles is good if you can do it as a break in training.

Your body will let you know when you go too far.

I used to run cross country and I had about an 8 1/2 minute mile--- I guess that'd be a good base?

Don't worry too much about weight lifting. Put 15-20 lbs...... into a knapsack and learn to run 10 miles with it before boot camp. You don't have to make great time, but at least have that endurance built up before you get to Basic Training.

We only had to run long distances with combat gear on once in boot camp (boots, helmet, rifle), and I don't know if we even had back packs on. And I think it was 5 miles tops.

I've always wanted to be a marine since I was a little kid---being part of something bigger than me and protecting my country and all. I do want to go to college, but I'm not in a hurry in regards to that and through the military I won't have to pay for it either when I do decide to continue ,my schooling.

It's entirely possible I may make a career out of the military but first I would have to get in-first thing's first and all haha

I served on Amphibious ships for the second 1/2 of my career, and I have been around thousands of Marines. I worked very closely with them due to the nature of my job. If you have any questions.....PM me. Or, I can turn you onto a retired nasty ass grunt **** face gunnery Sargent who I call a friend. He works at Parris Island. He is actually a nice guy and great friend who I met on board the USS Inchon when we were doing Op's off Somolia after the Black Hawk Down incident. He would gladly fill you in on what you really need beforehand, and cheer you on.

I served on Amphibious ships for the second 1/2 of my career, and I have been around thousands of Marines. I worked very closely with them due to the nature of my job. If you have any questions.....PM me. Or, I can turn you onto a retired nasty ass grunt **** face gunnery Sargent who I call a friend. He works at Parris Island. He is actually a nice guy and great friend who I met on board the USS Inchon when we were doing Op's off Somolia after the Black Hawk Down incident. He would gladly fill you in on what you really need beforehand, and cheer you on.

Sure yes please. I gotta figure out how the PM system works on the iPad for this site first though haha

The Marines are the best and have the coolest uniforms! I joined the reserves as advised by my brother who was also in the Marines at the time, but wish I would've joined active and did whatever it took to become an officer. If you're 26 or 28 years old and you find the Marines aren't for you as a career, you go out into the civilian world with 8-10 experience with awesome leadership skills and a degree...that sounds like someone any business owner would want to hire. Also, make sure you sign up for the G.I. Bill in boot camp. You don't (or at least you didn't when I was in) automatically get it, you actually have to sign up for it.

Back
Top Bottom