• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pistol Grip Problem

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I have a 45 ACP 1911 with Crimson Trace laser grips. I think I accidentally used solvent on the grip while cleaning it (yeah Im an idiot, I admit it) and now it is sort of dissolving, turning into sticky tar. Is there a way to sort of stop this? :doh

I have a 45 ACP 1911 with Crimson Trace laser grips. I think I accidentally used solvent on the grip while cleaning it (yeah Im an idiot, I admit it) and now it is sort of dissolving, turning into sticky tar. Is there a way to sort of stop this? :doh

Get new grips, that's all I can think of.

that's interesting because those should be immune to most normal solvents such as bore cleaner or copper fouling cleaner-what sort of solvent. Denatured alcohol normally will cut that stuff fairly quickly. I am curious what you used

Get new grips, that's all I can think of.
Ugh. I dont want to do that- the accessories will end up costing more than the gun. The device still works so I want to find a way to salvage it.

that's interesting because those should be immune to most normal solvents such as bore cleaner or copper fouling cleaner-what sort of solvent. Denatured alcohol normally will cut that stuff fairly quickly. I am curious what you used

Hoppe's No.9. I dont know what happened. I live in the tropics and I left it in sitting in the holster for several months. Maybe the heat might have reacted with the rubber or something.

I assume you have thoroughly cleaned the solvent off the grip? It is puzzling because No. 9 shouldn’t be corrosive like that to rubber or plastic or polymers.

Cool (not about your grips dissolving), I have a Crimson Trace laser grip on my Glock 22. I cleaned my 22 with the grips on and I don't have the same problem, though.

Back
Top Bottom