• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pipe clip trouble

Tim the plumber

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I have an idea for a new type of pipe clip. It's not much, not rocket science, but it would make my job a little easier and I think it could be slightly cheaper to make than the ones I use today.

It's just a piece of 8mm bar with a thread on either end, a couple of bends and then zinc coated.

I have been told that the price to get it made here in the UK is above the 16p price of the present system and that I could probably get it done in the third world.

How do I contact such manufacturers?

I have an idea for a new type of pipe clip. It's not much, not rocket science, but it would make my job a little easier and I think it could be slightly cheaper to make than the ones I use today.

It's just a piece of 8mm bar with a thread on either end, a couple of bends and then zinc coated.

I have been told that the price to get it made here in the UK is above the 16p price of the present system and that I could probably get it done in the third world.

How do I contact such manufacturers?

Patent first..............or it will be ripped by whoever you show it to.

Patent first..............or it will be ripped by whoever you show it to.

Well yes, the NDA thing I am using will not be enough if I go over seas but it's a very small market and I don't expect it to actually make that much money so without me it would probably not be worth while doing at all. Very small market.

Well yes, the NDA thing I am using will not be enough if I go over seas but it's a very small market and I don't expect it to actually make that much money so without me it would probably not be worth while doing at all. Very small market.
There are two paths, both start with looking to see if the idea is out there already.
If you want to try for a patent, start by building a prototype.
If you just want to keep someone else for patenting the idea, write up an article and send it to a magazine
to publish, once an idea is in the public domain, it cannot be patented without significant change.

If it's that small a market then is the price difference actually a factor?

If it's that small a market then is the price difference actually a factor?

Yes. It has to be made for less than 17p.

The volume is of the order of 4,000 per month plus for the company I work for. About 4 such companies in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom