• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pipe bomb disguised as chocolates goes off at Houston oil executive's home.

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
:shock:

Package bomb goes off at Houston oil executive’s home | Raw Story

Neighbors of the victim told an ABC News affiliate in Houston that the bomb was disguised as a box of chocolates in a gift bag, left on the home's doorstep around Thursday.

Instead, it contained what authorities described as a pipe bomb carrying a load of thumb tacks and nails. When she opened the package on Friday evening, standing on her back porch around 6:30, it resulted in shrapnel embedded across the woman's face -- injuries police said were not life-threatening.

:shock:

Good lord that's nasty. . . "life is like a box of chocolates" I guess is right.

The lady who was victimized by this bomber is well known for her charity. Christ, she gave food away to people who needed it. Although I hate police brutality, I would be more than willing to look the other way, once they catch the asshole who did this.

Well, to be fair, if you can be holding it while it goes off and still have a face, I'm not sure I'd refer to it as a bomb. That said, seriously, what kind of asshole does that?

Well, to be fair, if you can be holding it while it goes off and still have a face, I'm not sure I'd refer to it as a bomb. That said, seriously, what kind of asshole does that?

Maybe someone that has been listening to all of the hate coming out of the White House towards the oil companies?

Just sayin'.

Yes, Obamas vitriolic hate speech against those poor innocent oil companies did this.
Im gonna top my gas tank off in this woman's honor.

Well that's it. We're gonna have to ban chocolates.

Earth Liberation Front or Earth First would be my guess.

"my ma always said lifes like a box of chocolates, you'll never know when it'll go off in your face and scar you for life"

but seriously, thats just nasty, whoever did that is just sick

Earth Liberation Front or Earth First would be my guess.

Possibly, they are left wing kooks. However this doesn't fit their MO. They try to cause economic disasters. I've never heard of them intentionly targeting a person.

I do have a question though. Remember when Dr Tiller (the late term/partial birth abortion doctor ) was killed by a kook? The media blamed Bill O'Reilly for it. And when the goverment worker was hung (turned out to be suicide) Glenn Beck was blamed by the media.
The media is refusing to cover this story. Why aren't they out there blaming Obama since he is hell bent on demonizing big oil. Sometimes I think we have something worse than media bias. We have total media black out. I saw a couple stories on this, but no mention that her husband is a big oil tycoon.

Why aren't they out there blaming Obama since he is hell bent on demonizing big oil.

Because to do so would be STUPID. :roll:

ALF has targeted researchers with personal attacks. I think I remember that some ALF cells have also participated in ELF actions.

Obama's oil spill commission is made of nothing but enviromental activists. They may have had something to do with this.

Because to do so would be STUPID. :roll:

ALF has targeted researchers with personal attacks. I think I remember that some ALF cells have also participated in ELF actions.

Maybe with threats but I've never heard of them actually following through. Alf has broken into labs, released animals, things like that. Elf has burned suv dealerships, new unoccupied homes or ones in the process of being built. Things like that, that cause millions of dollars worth of economic damage. I have never heard of them targetting a person with a pipe bomb. Not saying it's not possible, just highly unlikely.

Maybe with threats but I've never heard of them actually following through. Alf has broken into labs, released animals, things like that. Elf has burned suv dealerships, new unoccupied homes or ones in the process of being built. Things like that, that cause millions of dollars worth of economic damage. I have never heard of them targetting a person with a pipe bomb. Not saying it's not possible, just highly unlikely.

I'm thinking that you don't really know that much about ALF. While they claim to be non-violent, they've come very close to harming human beings. Further, Craig Rosebraugh--who used to handle publicity for ALF--has espoused selective acts of targeted violence, including against government officials and animal abusers.

Ecoterrorism: Extremism in the Animal Rights and Environmentalist Movements

In April 2003, Rosebraugh and Pickering launched a new organization, Arissa, aimed at linking other social movements, especially the antiwar movement, to environmentalism. In addition to serving as a forum for Rosebraugh and Pickering's anti-war proclamations, Arissa sells their books on its Web Site. Titles include Rosebraugh's The Logic of Political Violence, which says that "revolution in the United States must be comprised of a variety of strategies" and that "it cannot be successful without the implementation of violence."

Rosebraugh's credibility was slightly undermined after he opened a natural food restaurant in Portland in January 2004 and fired workers who threatened to go on strike. Nevertheless, his influence in the movement remains high and ELF likely will continue to bundle other social concerns with its environmentalist mission. In a March 2004 television interview, Pickering underscored this ideological expansion: "Violence is a necessary element of an oppressive struggle…to overthrow an oppressive government…[ELF is] only part of a larger building revolutionary movement that won't stop until it has a successful overthrow of this country."

Other, affiliated groups, such as SHAC and Animal Liberation Brigade, have used threats of targeted violence directed at employees of corporations who engage in animal cruelty:

SHAC soon began targeting Marsh offices and employees. One executive received a letter saying, "You have been targeted for terrorist attack." The home of another executive was doused with red paint. "Puppy Killer" and "We'll Be Back" were painted on another's home. In April 2002, the address and telephone number of a Marsh employee in Boston were posted online with a note that said, "Let [X] know that it does not end until Marsh USA severs its ties with HLS." A dozen activists protested at [X's] home, chanting through a megaphone: "what comes around goes around…burn his house to the ground." A communiqué on SHAC's Web site referred to [X], his wife and his 2-year-old son as "scum." Twelve protesters were arrested (39 charges against them, including extortion, stalking, threatening and conspiracy, were dismissed in 2004).

Two months later, activists calling themselves the "Animal Liberation Brigade" and "Revolutionary Cells" took responsibility for setting off two pipe bombs at the Chiron office in Emeryville, California. The bombs caused relatively minor damage, but a communiqué posted to one of SHAC's Web sites stated, "You might be able to protect your buildings, but can you protect the homes of every employee?"

In England, ecoterrorists have already committed several acts of violence. These include:

During the 1990s, offshoots of ALF like the "Justice Department" and the "Animal Rights Militia" injured several people using letter-bombs.

In 1998, the "Animal Rights Militia" threatened to kill 10 scientists if Barry Horne, who was sentenced to 18 years in prison for waging a 1994 firebombing campaign that caused £3 million in damage to stores in England, died while on a hunger strike. Horne eventually discontinued the strike after 68 days. In November 2001, he died of liver failure in prison at the age of 49.

In a 1999 attack, a British reporter who had infiltrated ALF the year before with a hidden camera - capturing footage of ALF UK spokesperson Robin Webb supplying a bomb-making manual and suggesting a target to activists - was abducted by a number of men. They branded the letters ALF on his back.

In February, 2001, SHAC activist David Blenkinsop and two other masked assailants severely beat HLS's managing director Brian Cass with bats in England; a passer-by who interceded was sprayed in the face with tear gas. Kevin Kjonaas responded to the incident by saying, "I don't shed any tears for Brian Cass. He is responsible for 500 animals agonizing and dying every day at Huntingdon."

To me, based upon the track record of ecoterrorism in the U.S. and UK, targeted pipe bombs at the homes of the company responsible for the most cataclysmic natural disaster in history seems like a natural evolution of the movement. I would not be surprised to see similar acts targeted at BP officials in the UK.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom