• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pink Planet Discovered By Astronomers

mbig

onomatopoeic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Not a good candidate for life, but well worth looking at and figuring out it's [recent] formation. It's still Hot despite it's great distance from a similar star to our own sun: 9x as far away as Jupiter is from our central star.

Pink Planet Discovered By Astronomers
August 9, 2013
5 hours ago

Pink-Planet-665x385.jpg

A Pink Planet has been discovered by NASA scientists. The planet, dubbed GJ 504b, is the lowest-mass planet ever detected around a star using direct imaging techniques. The planet is located 57 light-years away. Based on estimates, the planet has 4x the mass of Jupiter.

The planet orbits around star GJ 504, a star that is very similar to our own sun. The star can be seen by the naked eye in the constellation Virgo. The photo shown above is an artist rendition of the planet which NASA scientist Michael McElwain describes as being “reminiscent of a dark cherry blossom, a dull magenta.”

The planet is pretty cozy at 460 degrees Fahrenheit (237 Celsius) and orbits at a distance of 43.5 AU from its star or 43.5x further than our own planet from our sun. In comparison, Neptune is 30AU from our sun and even Jupiter is 5AU.
The pink planet was imaged using infrared data collected from the Subaru Telescope in Hawaii.

NASA says the planets coloring is indicative of its young age with its solar system estimated to be just 160 million years old."..."
See also:
Newly Discovered Pink Exoplanet on the Lighter Side
Researchers imaged this planet around a sun-like star, but its origins remain a mystery.
http://news.NationalGeographic.com/news/2013/08/130808-exoplanet-pink-low-mass-star-space-science/

Last edited:
I am trying to wrap my head around how it gets enough energy to maintain that temperature when it is 45 AU away from a star that is "very similar to our sun".

My first thought was that it was a typo and there is a missing (-) sign there, but both links provided in the OP use the same figure, not to mention that if this were the case -460 F is actually <just barely> below absolute zero.

I suppose it must have to do with the claim that it is such a young system, only 160 million years old does not allow for much time for heat dissipation, especially in a body 4x the mass of Jupiter.

I am trying to wrap my head around how it gets enough energy to maintain that temperature when it is 45 AU away from a star that is "very similar to our sun".

My first thought was that it was a typo and there is a missing (-) sign there, but both links provided in the OP use the same figure, not to mention that if this were the case -460 F is actually <just barely> below absolute zero.

I suppose it must have to do with the claim that it is such a young system, only 160 million years old does not allow for much time for heat dissipation, especially in a body 4x the mass of Jupiter.

Seems more like a typo "orbits at a distance of 43.5 AU from its star or 43.5x further than our own planet from our sun" or 43.5 is quite coincidence.

Pretty planet though. I think I'll open a gay bar there. Air conditioned of course since 460 is kind of warm......

I believe the high pressure of gaseous planet 4 times the six of Jupiter would produce considerably heat. Jupiter itself produces significant internal heat due to the pressure at its core.

Seems more like a typo "orbits at a distance of 43.5 AU from its star or 43.5x further than our own planet from our sun" or 43.5 is quite coincidence.

Pretty planet though. I think I'll open a gay bar there. Air conditioned of course since 460 is kind of warm......

1 AU is the distance from Earth to the sun, so 43.5 AU = 43.5x further so no that is not a coincidence. Plus both articles use the same figures.

I believe the high pressure of gaseous planet 4 times the six of Jupiter would produce considerably heat. Jupiter itself produces significant internal heat due to the pressure at its core.
It sounds like a failed/stunted Binary Star system as much as a planet.
It's a Gas Giant like Jupiter but 4x as Large.. and 9x further away from it's sun/would-be partner.

Jupiter's core may produce a lot of heat, but Jupiter does not radiate that much heat - much the same way Earths core produces a lot of heat and earth does not radiate that much. The surface temperature of Jupiter at 1 bar of pressure is 165 K which converts to -163 F.

The quoted temperature of the newly discovered planet was almost certainly established because they used infrared imaging to discover it, so that temperature would have to be based on the heat the planet radiates and not any internal temps that may be generated.

edit: ohh, I just answered my own question revisiting the article from the Nat Geo link and reading the caption for the picture there "An illustration of the magenta exoplanet, still glowing from the heat of its formation." (well actually I answered my own questions in my original post, the caption just confirmed it)

Last edited:
1 AU is the distance from Earth to the sun, so 43.5 AU = 43.5x further so no that is not a coincidence. Plus both articles use the same figures.

:3oops:err, uh, never mind. Even gods have feet of clay:3oops:

Or it could be that it was a world destroyed by capitalist pollution? A pink sky? Come on. You expect me to believe there aren't some synthetic pollutants all up in the air when the sky is pink?

Back
Top Bottom