• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pininterest bans weight loss ads.

SarahSun

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

Is that a good idea? I think its generally accepted weight loss for obese people can lead to a far longer and healthier life. Should it be no longer acceptable for a doctor to suggest a person lose weight?

They started out just fine -- banning dangerous weight loss products. But now no one can post any healthy weight loss strategies, befores/afters all in the name of "body acceptance"? Dumb.

They started out just fine -- banning dangerous weight loss products. But now no one can post any healthy weight loss strategies, befores/afters all in the name of "body acceptance"? Dumb.
Yes, some weight loss products are dangerous. To me, proper diet and exercise is the best way. I dont think its body shaming, i hate even saying it, to encourage people to lose weight.

To me the only thing that should be banned is something like that model did awhile back where she posted pictures of an obese woman in a gym on twitter and made fun of her. That was in poor taste and totally classless.

Is that a good idea? I think its generally accepted weight loss for obese people can lead to a far longer and healthier life. Should it be no longer acceptable for a doctor to suggest a person lose weight?
They shouldn't ban healthy weight loss information and diets; people need the help. I suppose if you're serious, though, you're not going to go to pinterest for it. I've always accepted people of all sizes and see fat shaming as terribly superficial. There are the health concerns though, if it's someone you care about.

They shouldn't ban healthy weight loss information and diets; people need the help. I suppose if you're serious, though, you're not going to go to pinterest for it. I've always accepted people of all sizes and see fat shaming as terribly superficial. There are the health concerns though, if it's someone you care about.
True, the best person to go to about it would be a nutritionist or doctor.

True, the best person to go to about it would be a nutritionist or doctor.
There are a lot of good sites.
Probably Weight Watchers is still the best ( is it still around?) Because it takes a long time and breaks bad eating habits so people can actually keep the weight off. Fad diets can give someone a quick start and incentive to keep going, but no one can stay on those rapid weight loss diets forever.
I'm lucky I've always been able to eat what I like and not get overweight. It's probably because I eat slowly (not on purpose, I just do), so I get full before I've really gobbled down too much. I have never gotten my money's worth at an all you can eat buffet and me and doggie bags are a given if I eat out.

Probably Weight Watchers is still the best ( is it still around?) Because it takes a long time and breaks bad eating habits so people can actually keep the weight off. Fad diets can give someone a quick start and incentive to keep going, but no one can stay on those rapid weight loss diets forever.
I'm lucky I've always been able to eat what I like and not get overweight. It's probably because I eat slowly (not on purpose, I just do), so I get full before I've really gobbled down too much. I have never gotten my money's worth at an all you can eat buffet and me and doggie bags are a given if I eat out.

Yes, WW is still around. It's the best for some people. It wasn't the best for me as I hate counting and keeping track of everything. Just a simple low-carb diet with intermittent fasting is the best for me and many others.

Thats awesome!! I was a bit overweight up to 11th grade. My best friend got me exercising like crazy over the summer and when my senior year began i felt like a new girl. Now i run/jog 15-20 miles a week and mostly eat fruit, veggies and whole grain or whole wheat bread except for occasional nice meals at a restaurant

Yes, WW is still around. It's the best for some people. It wasn't the best for me as I hate counting and keeping track of everything. Just a simple low-carb diet with intermittent fasting is the best for me and many others.
Do you fast 1 day a week?

Do you fast 1 day a week?

I fast everyday. Well, everyone does. Some days I only eat at lunchtime, some days I eat breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner. I rarely ever eat 3 meals a day.

I fast everyday. Well, everyone does. Some days I only eat at lunchtime, some days I eat breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner. I rarely ever eat 3 meals a day.
oh, then i do a bit of fasting as well. i eat breakfast and dinner but almost never any lunch.

If Pintrest ads affect what your doctor tells you, you need a different doctor.

If Pintrest ads affect what your doctor tells you, you need a different doctor.
But is a doctor also shaming you if she says you should lose weight for your health? From what i understand Pintrest wouldnt allow an ad saying its healthy to lose weight. I dont think this will stop at Pintrest. We will see.

Thats awesome!! I was a bit overweight up to 11th grade. My best friend got me exercising like crazy over the summer and when my senior year began i felt like a new girl. Now i run/jog 15-20 miles a week and mostly eat fruit, veggies and whole grain or whole wheat bread except for occasional nice meals at a restaurant
I love 12 grain toast in the morning. Then half the time I blow it by putting peanut butter on it. Do the same thing with baby carrots.

I love 12 grain toast in the morning. Then half the time I blow it by putting peanut butter on it. Do the same thing with baby carrots.

Peanut butter isn't awful.

But is a doctor also shaming you if she says you should lose weight for your health? From what i understand Pintrest wouldnt allow an ad saying its healthy to lose weight. I dont think this will stop at Pintrest. We will see.
If your doctor told you that you should lose weight, I would try to lose weight if I were you. There might be several reasons why you should. And I would separate Pintrest ad policy from medical advise in my thinking.

Would life be fun without temptations?

It's going too far to shut down discussion of weight loss, but like I said, if people are serious, they're not going to search pinterest or even fb for it.

Eating disorders are fairly complicated, an obsessive compulsive disorder, and while wanting to look like Barbie may trigger it, there's a lot more at play. Removing dieting info won't prevent it.

It's going too far to shut down discussion of weight loss, but like I said, if people are serious, they're not going to search pinterest or even fb for it.

Eating disorders are fairly complicated, an obsessive compulsive disorder, and while wanting to look like Barbie may trigger it, there's a lot more at play. Removing dieting info won't prevent it.
very true.

People use social media for information and learning all the time. There are actually really good videos and guidance to be found out there. I look up things to fix my Jeep on YouTube. It doesn't always have to be a mechanic.

This is just another example where the left had good intentions but then they took it too far into the realm of the unhealthy. Where they were right is working to stopping shaming and bullying of people who are overweight. That's just cruelty. But then that wasn't enough. They started pushing "accepting body" even when it is in an unhealthy state. Being obese is one of the most damaging health conditions facing people today and they are being told that it's OK.

There is a middle ground in there.

People use social media for information and learning all the time. There are actually really good videos and guidance to be found out there. I look up things to fix my Jeep on YouTube. It doesn't always have to be a mechanic.
True! But I'm going to do a little research first so I'm sure I'm getting good advice.

Yes. YouTube has many doctor-lead channels with great information.

Back
Top Bottom