• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Picking Up The Pieces of the Trump Administration Children/Family Separation Policy

Old 'N Chill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Tuned into this today and it seems like those children were separated from their parents/families were taken away with the intent to punish and deter immigrants. Supposedly there was no intention of reuniting them with their families, so over 500 children are either with sponsors or in foster homes all this time. I find this appalling and very sad for those involved. After watching today's debate, Trump has shown he doesn't care about these people at all, no surprise there. Podcast in link for those interested.

It’s been three years since the Trump administration started separating families at the U.S.’s southern border. Today, lawyers say they’ve been unable to reach the parents of at least 545 children. That’s according to new court documents filed by the American Civil Liberties Union this week.

The Trump administration officially rolled out its so-called “zero tolerance” policy back in 2018. But families were already being separated in the months leading up to that, as part of a pilot project in El Paso, Texas. At the time, few records were kept on the families separated during the pilot, including where parents were sent and how to contact them.

In recent months, those efforts have been further complicated by travel restrictions put in place because of the pandemic.

Michelle Wiley, a reporter for KQED, and Efrén Olivares, the racial and economic justice director at the Texas Civil Rights Project, join the program to break down the latest developments.

I have wondered if this might be part of it; the other possibility I considered was that the "parents" from whom the kids were separated weren't actually their parents. The bottom line is that these 545 kids have parents, even if the government doesn't know where they are. If I got deported without my kid, I'd be pounding on the consulate doors nonstop. Why aren't these parents making themselves known? I suspect the most likely reasons are either they weren't the parents or this is the new way to have an anchor baby.

Back
Top Bottom