• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

pick favorite presidential ticket in 2008

galenrox said:
I just read up on Bayh, and I think I'm in love!
A free trade democrat, I'm swooning!
So yeah, I've got mine, Bayh and Obama '08

Forget about Obama. He hasn't paid his dues yet.

jakurus said:
So name some other Republicans that you trust. Didn't sound like a joke to me.

Jeesh. Okay, if it's so important to you.

Lincoln Chafee, Arlen Specter, George Voinovich, Rudolph Giuliani, Michael Bloomberg, Chuck Hagel, Colin Powell, Christopher Shays, Christine Whitman.

galenrox said:
Don't you dare forget McCaine and Leach!!!

I didn't forget about McCain. I mentioned him in my original post.
And, yes, I would add Jim Leach to that list.

Missouri Mule said:
I was unaware that Fiengold was a decorated veteran. Can you provide some more information about him?

Missouri, you got it. Here are two websites:

http://www.russfeingold.org/

http://feingold.senate.gov/

Missouri, I must have gotten him mixed up with someone else--I do not believe he is a decorated veteran. I wonder who I am getting him mixed up with. Sorry about that.

A Mccain, Powell or Powell, Mccain ticket would be unbeatable, Powell probably won't run, unfortunately, but let's just see if the right can get past its own ideologs and get Mccain the nomination who alone would almost assuredly beat the Dems best chance, Mrs. Clinton (only because she's pulling the old Clinton illusion of moderacy while concealing her true leftist views), by a narrow margin like the 00 election, furthermore; with a running mate like Powell or Giuliani (who at this point sounds more likely a candidate) Mccain would win in a landslide.

Last edited:
mixedmedia said:
Jeesh. Okay, if it's so important to you.

Lincoln Chafee, Arlen Specter, George Voinovich, Rudolph Giuliani, Michael Bloomberg, Chuck Hagel, Colin Powell, Christopher Shays, Christine Whitman.

I don't disagree with your list except for Giuliani and Powell. Giuliani would be my first choice for president on any list. I'm looking for competence. Powell would be fine but he says he won't run.

galenrox said:
Naw, screw that. Considering how long and complex every law is, a senator who's a senator too long makes it impossible for a senator to be a viable candidate, they become too easy to smear, because of all these ridiculous tack ons on the bills, like "Kill all the babies.........and give $50,000 to cancer research", vote against it you're all of a sudden pro-cancer, and there are documents to show for it.

He could be a very good vice president, as a form of grooming before he becomes the actual president.

Obama brings nothing to the ticket. Illinois is already a Democratic lock. They already have the black vote and he would only have four years in the senate. Perhaps in 2012, but not in 2008. Harold Ford Jr, might be a better choice. He has been around, is moderate in his views and might help in the south being from Tennessee. (If being black is an important consideration, which I doubt will matter that much.)

I've listened to Warner and he comes across well. Bayh is from a critically important state. If the Dems can carry both Indiana and Ohio they win. It is just a matter of doing the arithmetic.

I've followed elections closely since 1948. I think I know a thing or two about how this should work. The Dems need to run out of their party the Howard Deans and other freaks who have made the Dems the party of the insane. The freaks will always go to the Dems regardless so appealing to them brings no more vote. They need to go for the middle or the "swing" voter. They do this by appealing to economic interests.

The Republicans are out of ideas and Bush/Cheney has made a mess of things and likely to get worse. Now the stock market is tanking (again) and this will spell doom if nothing else will. But if the Dems put up the freakozoids like Dean the Republicans will win by default again. That's the long and the short of it.

aps said:
Missouri, you got it. Here are two websites:

http://www.russfeingold.org/

http://feingold.senate.gov/

Missouri, I must have gotten him mixed up with someone else--I do not believe he is a decorated veteran. I wonder who I am getting him mixed up with. Sorry about that.

That's OK. I still find him appealing. I've signed up for his newsletter. I've actually been in touch with one of his campaign advisors some months ago. I feel so strongly about the corruption of politics with special interest money it might very well trump all other issues.

Thanks for the links.

mixedmedia said:
I didn't forget about McCain. I mentioned him in my original post.

And, yes, I would add Jim Leach to that list.

You can safely drop Leach from the list. No way.

McCain. -- Doubtful simply because the Republican base doesn't like him. In fact he is almost hated. In conservative circles he is known as Senator McInsane and Senator McNutt. I say that as one who contributed to his campaign in 2000.

Hagel has pretty much shot himself in the foot as well although he doesn't have the same degree of hate toward him as does McCain.

Having said this, I would still vote for McCain or Hagel over Hillary. We don't need to return to the lies of Clintonism. One term of "Slick Willy" was quite enough, thank you very much.

If the Dems put up better candidates I might consider them, but only if they kick out of their party the crazy people like Howard Dean. He needs to be led away to the funny farm. A frontal lobotomy would also be highly appropriate.

Feingold would be written off by the political pundits but the American people are extremely hungry for an honest politician. He is the closest one I've seen up to this point. Being honest and a politician appear to be mutually exclusive. Feingold doesn't fit that mold based on what I have seen and heard. I may contribute to his campaign.

Missouri Mule said:
I don't disagree with your list except for Giuliani and Powell. Giuliani would be my first choice for president on any list. I'm looking for competence. Powell would be fine but he says he won't run.

I was being asked for names of republicans I trust. ??? I'm not sure what you're commenting on. :smile:

Any one of them would be a cool breath of fresh air after George Bush. Although I must say, on the down side of his presidency, he seems to be showing more of a "devil may care" attitude lately. Go George!?:confused:

Also, I think any cross party ticket with a rep pres nominee and a dem running mate or vice versa would be a shoe in I would have actually considered voting for Kerry had the rumors of Mccain being his running mate been true.

I loved Obama's speech at the Dem. convention, but he really is getting overrated.

He just became a Senator, and all most people know him from is that speech.

He gave another speech on election night after he won which I thought was awful.

Now his plusses are that he's likeable and he has a large following among the public, which is quite important for using power from the presidency,

but his minuses are that he has no record of actually doing anything great, not compared to Clinton.

John McCain & Condie Rice

Hillary & Obama

I only like one of them, well maybe two - but, I have to view 2008 realistically.

I think the criticism of Hillary has pretty much convinced everyone she's a superbitch or insane.

I'm pretty sure she's neither and she'd make a powerful President.

jakurus said:
I think the criticism of Hillary has pretty much convinced everyone she's a superbitch or insane.

I'm pretty sure she's neither and she'd make a powerful President.

The big problem with Hillary is that 1/2 the population loathes her. She is personna non grata to most conservatives and that would be unlikely to change. I really don't see her winning. Warner and Bayh would be a far better ticket and I still believe that Feingold would be a refreshing face since he doesn't take special interest money. That's my #1 issue since I see the government bought and paid for by the deep pocketed interests while the rest of us are given the shaft. Who could possibly have concocted that horrible highway bill with a $260 million dollar bridge to nowhere in Alaska? Bush should have vetoed that bill.

What does Hillary bring to the table? What is she going to do that her husband didn't do? She has so much negative baggage that it will occupy an inordinate amount of time during the election season. There are better candidates. People are wanting competence without the scandals.

George_Washington said:
Schwarzenegger

Coulter

We are amused, and would hate it if Ann were to be nominated for VP. Then it would be shown that she is a MAN~

1SGRet said:
We are amused, and would hate it if Ann were to be nominated for VP. Then it would be shown that she is a MAN~

:rofl

But seriously, I have suspected this, too.

Hmm, this is a tough one. Well, since I am from Indiana I feel somewhat of a warmth towards Bayh. So I am going to say Evan Bayh for Pres. and Obama for VP.

YoungandAngry06 said:
Hmm, this is a tough one. Well, since I am from Indiana I feel somewhat of a warmth towards Bayh. So I am going to say Evan Bayh for Pres. and Obama for VP.

Would somebody PLEASE put a stake to the heart of this movement for Obama for national office in 2008? Are the Dems just bound and determined to lose the next election?

He hasn't paid his dues. It is not his turn. He would be seen by the American voter as too green for the possible elevation to the presidency. It ain't a gonna happen.

Even though I would really like to see Mccain become elected president, the truth is is that no senator really has a chance at getting the job unless their opponent is another senator because their voting records are to long and will be used against them by their opponent, my moneys on a governor, which one I don't know, but imho it's not going to be a senator just look at the facts no senator has been elected president since Nixon and all those who have won have been governors.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Even though I would really like to see Mccain become elected president, the truth is is that no senator really has a chance at getting the job unless their opponent is another senator because their voting records are to long and will be used against them by their opponent, my moneys on a governor, which one I don't know, but imho it's not going to be a senator just look at the facts no senator has been elected president since Nixon and all those who have won have been governors.

Oh I forgot to add that vice presidents have been pretty successful at getting the job too but I doubt that Cheney is electable and I don't think that even I would vote for him at this point, not because I don't like him but because he's to devisive a character just like Hillary. The next election should be one built on a basis of unity not division anyone who runs on that platform will be way ahead of the curve

Back
Top Bottom