• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

pick favorite presidential ticket in 2008

FiremanRyan said:
so you'd vote McCain/Powell but would vote for Boxer as well? talk about polar opposites.
I love Boxer for two facts: I am almost two feet taller than her and it looks ridiculous in a photo, and because I love her policies. I would vote for McCain and Powell not for those reasons, but for respect to get the job done with honesty, integrity and compromise.

jakurus, you should learn a bit more about Obama, I am sure that you would like him. He is an amazing man.

Obama and Powell are both anti-caucasian racists

I can hardly believe that anyone believes that Obama is going to be on the ticket in 2008. Just won't happen. Maybe in 2012 but right now he is just too green. It'll either be a Hillary/Bayh or Hillary/Warner ticket. You can take it to the bank.

Missouri Mule said:
I can hardly believe that anyone believes that Obama is going to be on the ticket in 2008. Just won't happen. Maybe in 2012 but right now he is just too green. It'll either be a Hillary/Bayh or Hillary/Warner ticket. You can take it to the bank.

Hillary and Warner are political opposites why would she ever pick him for her running mate?

The left wing which control the democratic party would never stand for that......

You can take that to the bank...........

Navy Pride said:
Hillary and Warner are political opposites why would she ever pick him for her running mate?

The left wing which control the democratic party would never stand for that......

You can take that to the bank...........

I'm dissappointed. I invite you to read the history of the 1960 Democratic nomination. They would become "bosom buddies" to use Richard Nixon's words.

Missouri Mule said:
I'm dissappointed. I invite you to read the history of the 1960 Democratic nomination. They would become "bosom buddies" to use Richard Nixon's words.

Hillary is a bleeding heart liberal and is fooling no one in her phoney attempts to move to the center.........

One thing though, are you talking about Governor or Senator Warner.....If its Governoe then she might pick him...........

The Gov. Warner is someone that I have been pushing for within my circle of friends. I know that Edwards will run again, so I would love to see a Edwards/Warner Ticket.

Navy Pride said:
Hillary is a bleeding heart liberal and is fooling no one in her phoney attempts to move to the center.........

One thing though, are you talking about Governor or Senator Warner.....If its Governoe then she might pick him...........

Governor. Senator Warner is a Republican.

Missouri Mule said:
Governor. Senator Warner is a Republican.

I know and there was some talk about a Kerry/McCain ticket in 2004 so sometimes the party does not make a difference..........

Warner the governor is kind of a moderate..I think Hillary would look for a big lib for VP to satisfy the partys Liberal base............Can you say Obama?

In regards to Jeb Bush, I don't like him as a leader. He has not done anything beneficial for schools in Florida (we're sadly still one of if not the worst school system in the United States) He has supported initiatives to overturn amendments that he did not support (Florida's high speed rail). He has limited our personal freedoms (supporting an amendment that makes smoking in a restaurant, government building, or even some BARS equivalent to a battery charge). I will never support a conservative hand puppet like him EVER! He has destroyed my home state and raped it's citizens. I pray that he never gets in the white house. Or we deserve to die, because the mindless drones of the military and the religous will eventually take away all our freedom. Screw Jeb Bush and his whole family! I don't think he has a heart.

Oh, he and I have something in common in so far that we hate smokers. I personally throw up whenever I am around smoking and thus have to leave many restruants...until Cali passed the laws that it has now. thank jebus for that. I would literally throw up in the middle of the restruant or wherever I was. It got bad. Now I just have to be cautious outside, but even so, it is never as bad outside as it is inside because inside the smoke collects while outside it disperses.

Navy Pride said:
I know and there was some talk about a Kerry/McCain ticket in 2004 so sometimes the party does not make a difference..........

Warner the governor is kind of a moderate..I think Hillary would look for a big lib for VP to satisfy the partys Liberal base............Can you say Obama?

No way. Won't happen. It would have to be a McGovern type situation when the election is already lost; in other words a "Hail Mary Pass."

After doing some math.. Warner may not have any hope at the presidency... his term is up in the next year... unless he gets elected to another office, he'll be way out of the public eye by 2008

Stherngntlmn said:
After doing some math.. Warner may not have any hope at the presidency... his term is up in the next year... unless he gets elected to another office, he'll be way out of the public eye by 2008

Actually it can be a great advantage to be out of office when running for president. Check out tradesports.com for the latest odds on Warner. I think you will be much surprised.

I would love to see Gov. Warner win one of the primaries and run with either Edwards or Obama. I have immense respect for both of those men and Warner is a thoughtful, moderate, and kind person. I think it is a winning combination.

ShamMol said:
I would love to see Gov. Warner win one of the primaries and run with either Edwards or Obama. I have immense respect for both of those men and Warner is a thoughtful, moderate, and kind person. I think it is a winning combination.

You can forget about Obama until at least 2012. Edwards may yet get there but I don't rate his chances as very good. The best ticket the Dems could put forth would be a Warner or Bayh ticket in either order. Hillary probably has a ceiling of about 48% and she has an awful lot of baggage. Warner and Bayh have none that I know of. Both are intelligent, middle of the road, and well informed. Bayh is a foreign policy expert. Warner has extensive administrative experience. Hillary is currently the prohibitive favorite but boy does she have her negatives. She can't possibly hope to get any "red" states except for perhaps Ohio which may yet again be the pivotal state. Both Wisconsin and Minnesota are tilting more and more to the Republican ledger. That's why Bayh needs to be on the ticket. He will carry Indiana and Ohio and with it the election. He might be on a Hillary ticket but his appeal would be diluted in Indiana because of her. Ohio would be up for grabs. It will be interesting.

I just don't like Bayh whenever I read about him...I don't get a good feeling. Don't know, can't really explain it. I tend to think he is far too conservative to be to my liking for a politician but his credentials are there...just that feeling...

I really like Warner for reasons I have explained in this thread. Add on his credentials, the Dem from a Red State, his work on Taxes, his work on states issues in general and being a governor and he is almost too perfect a candidate-which is scary as well.

I agree with you on Obama that he is not ready yet (he is darn close or will be by then) and may become a minority whip for the Dems if he gets reelected. But I also have great respect for Edwards for the thing that many deride him for. His lawyering and debating skills are masterful, he knows how to work a room, he connects with people in a way normal people can't. He has that special "umph." Add on the fact he was a Dem in a Red State, has experience on a lot of different areas and is battle-hardened thanks to a grueling 2004 election, and I see him as my candidate if Boxer or Obama don't run (I love Boxer-political idol-maverick, liberal, and not afraid to speak her mind, which is what I like in a politician). Plus, it doesn't hurt that my boss is friends with him to the extent that they use each other for favors and my boss even lent him his plane.

ShamMol said:
I just don't like Bayh whenever I read about him...I don't get a good feeling. Don't know, can't really explain it. I tend to think he is far too conservative to be to my liking for a politician but his credentials are there...just that feeling...

I really like Warner for reasons I have explained in this thread. Add on his credentials, the Dem from a Red State, his work on Taxes, his work on states issues in general and being a governor and he is almost too perfect a candidate-which is scary as well.

I agree with you on Obama that he is not ready yet (he is darn close or will be by then) and may become a minority whip for the Dems if he gets reelected. But I also have great respect for Edwards for the thing that many deride him for. His lawyering and debating skills are masterful, he knows how to work a room, he connects with people in a way normal people can't. He has that special "umph." Add on the fact he was a Dem in a Red State, has experience on a lot of different areas and is battle-hardened thanks to a grueling 2004 election, and I see him as my candidate if Boxer or Obama don't run (I love Boxer-political idol-maverick, liberal, and not afraid to speak her mind, which is what I like in a politician). Plus, it doesn't hurt that my boss is friends with him to the extent that they use each other for favors and my boss even lent him his plane.

I'll make a safe prediction that you will learn to "love" Bayh. Especially when you compare him to the Republican candidates and I safely predict you won't like them at all. Mostly likely Allen.

You like Boxer? What can I say? :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Hey, I am liberal-I love Boxer, plus she is great with charts and graphs...what can I say, but honestly, compared to almost all of the people being considered right now, I would rather have Bayh, but that still doesn't mean I want him by any means. I would much rather prefer a Warner who I know is a safe choice (or at least who my gut is telling me is one) as a veep candidate backing up a moderate-liberal such as Edwards or...grrr...Hillary (I really dislike Hillary for so many reasons...but at least her mind is right on health care and education...).

But, I really want to see more leadership given to Obama. He can handle it and handle it well. I have met him twice, sat down and spoke with him once. He is a man I could trust to lead my country imho. But, if his time isn't now, then it has to be in '12 or '16.

ShamMol said:
Hey, I am liberal-I love Boxer, plus she is great with charts and graphs...what can I say, but honestly, compared to almost all of the people being considered right now, I would rather have Bayh, but that still doesn't mean I want him by any means. I would much rather prefer a Warner who I know is a safe choice (or at least who my gut is telling me is one) as a veep candidate backing up a moderate-liberal such as Edwards or...grrr...Hillary (I really dislike Hillary for so many reasons...but at least her mind is right on health care and education...).

But, I really want to see more leadership given to Obama. He can handle it and handle it well. I have met him twice, sat down and spoke with him once. He is a man I could trust to lead my country imho. But, if his time isn't now, then it has to be in '12 or '16.

Obama is an impressive politician but he is going to have to get past Harold Ford Jr., who "has paid his dues." Ford is definitely going to be considered and I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the ticket as VP in 2008. It's just too early for Obama. 2012 would be about right.

no talk about Gingrich? i think he'd be a great running mate for McCain. there are a lot of other Republicans thinking the same way. McCain has the name and the moderate stance making him appeal to a lot of Democrats. Gingrich would hold the conservative base together while still getting blue-state votes. as much as far-right Republicans dont like McCain, they need to give him the nod to continue a somewhat conservative office. this is more important than ever with many of our supreme court justices in their 80's and 90's.

FiremanRyan said:
no talk about Gingrich? i think he'd be a great running mate for McCain. there are a lot of other Republicans thinking the same way. McCain has the name and the moderate stance making him appeal to a lot of Democrats. Gingrich would hold the conservative base together while still getting blue-state votes. as much as far-right Republicans dont like McCain, they need to give him the nod to continue a somewhat conservative office. this is more important than ever with many of our supreme court justices in their 80's and 90's.

Gingrich won't make it out of the starting gate. He reached his "Peter Principle" a long time ago when he overreached his ability. That's why he resigned his leadership position in the House after the Clinton impeachment debacle.

I like Gingrich, but he seemed really insane some of the time. It's like he's infected with a quasi-conservative tourettes.

I just dont know whos Pres and whos VP

Rudy Giuliani
Mitt Romney

Back
Top Bottom