• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Physicist Stephen Hawking Baffled by Donal Trump's Popularity

I'm honestly not sure where this line of debate started but why does he need to be an expert?
Most of the people that we hear from on a day to day basis concerning the Presidential candidates are the furthest things from experts.
No. Hawking is not a political expert. But he is a very smart man and I can't imagine him being naïve or unable to grasp basic political workings.
The only thing I can say is that in the same course of saying he doesn't understand support for Trump he answers his own question. Trump appeals to the lowest common denominator, especially being the reality tv candidate.
You don't have to be a political expert to shake your head and go "I don't get this man and his supporters".
I thought of this earlier in post #31. I attempted to answer this current contention then (not a direct response to any post of yours, Ntharotep). BTW, what a headache trying to type your ID.
.....As a sided note, Donald Trump has very little expertise in government except for the spending part and the success of programs part from his business experience.
Trump has qualifications gained from successful business experiences. Everything Hawking does is a one-man show. Heck, Hawking doesn't care the slightest if someone disagrees with the methods he uses in physics. Give him scientific and mathematical latitude and he's golden. Tell me the scientific and/or mathematical methods used to create a successful government and/or be a successful politician. Tell me how the experiences gained in a one-man show is going to translate to qualifications that could lead to a successful career in politics or government or even know anything about the successful running of politics or government?

Last edited:
I think you miss the point. Professor Hawking is not stating a political opinion. He is baffled by the fact that a so called educated society can turn it's back on science. To vote for Trump is to endorse his science denial.

Perhaps Professor Hawking saw this

Back
Top Bottom