• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Phrase -That's mighty white of you/mighty white of you-Racist -???

Phrase -That's mighty white of you/mighty white of you-Racist -Bigoted???

• Total voters
Times change;

Free, white and over twenty-one; was common when I was growing up as was the OP’s example

You look like a starving Armenian; another callous one, given the history

Nervous as a n***** on Election Day

The above remarks are not at all condoned today, but were commonly used at one time.

It is implying one race is superior, so yes.

Used ironically it refers to sociology and thus not about skin color.

I'm curious about the origin of "white lie."

It's listed under origins, but all that really says is the common understanding of the term that we all already know.
It has to do with good and evil... white is good so a white lie is a lie that does no harm... a black lie is an evil lie that does harm although the term black is now left off and just "lie" is used.

That's correct. In my area the term is used sarcastically. Not really rascist.
/

I don't think it's racist. I just think it's in poor taste and I wouldn't use the phrase.

Consider it began as a way of showing racial superiority

Context?
2 white people- one says it to another?

I'm curious about the origin of "white lie."

'White magic' good, 'black magic' bad. The two words have had that connotation,in many contexts, for many centuries. (Maybe longer, I don't know how the Greeks and Romans used them). I doubt if those who used this convention had skin tone in mind.

It has to do with good and evil... white is good so a white lie is a lie that does no harm... a black lie is an evil lie that does harm although the term black is now left off and just "lie" is used.

Again, you're just saying what it means rather than getting at the origin.

Consider it began as a way of showing racial superiority

Well, I didn't know that, but since I wouldn't use the phrase anyway, it's a moot point.

Times change;

Free, white and over twenty-one; was common when I was growing up as was the OP’s example
For me I had heard that, on a rare & I mean on rare occasions, mainly was free and over 18. Able to make ones own decisions

Nervous as a n***** on Election Day
Yep heard that one- racist as hell

Back
Top Bottom