• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Photos Show Scores of Uncounted Ballots in Opa-locka Mail Center

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Story from a local Florida paper.

Miami-Dade County announced today that it has finished counting votes for the 2018 election.

But photos obtained by New Times show scores of mail-in ballots sitting inside an Opa-locka mail distribution center — the same center that was evacuated last month after alleged mail bomber Cesar Sayoc's pipe bombs passed through the facility.

Several local activists demonstrated outside both the mail facility and at the Miami-Dade County Elections Department to try to bring attention to the ballots. Two sources who spoke with New Times allege hundreds of ballots might still be inside.

Suzy Trutie, a spokesperson for the Elections Department, told New Times her office was aware of the ballots but confirmed nothing else about them. She said that, per state law, any ballots not delivered to the Miami-Dade Elections Department by 7 p.m. on Election Day could not be counted toward the 2018 total.

"We do our best to educate voters that, if you’re voting vote-by-mail, then your ballot had to be at the Elections Department by Tuesday, November 6," she said. "Not everybody mailed back in time."

Am I the only one who thinks that this deadline for mail ballots is stupid?

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami-ballots-are-still-inside-opa-locka-post-office-10899192

Do you one better - am I the only one who thinks whole mail ballots idea is not just asking for fraud?

Do you one better - am I the only one who thinks whole mail ballots idea is not just asking for fraud?

I'm an election inspector and this year I worked in a district that was not my voting district so I mailed an absentee ballot in a week before the election. One of the other inspectors was also out of district. This town had five districts so conceivably 10 absentee ballots would have been filed in a total community of aproximately 2500 registered voters just by inspectors. That is just accounting for election inspectors who had to use absentee ballots. One would have to account for those working and unable to vote and forced to use absentee ballots. I'm just attempting to show why there are so many absentee ballots and verify there legitimacy. The total numbers can be huge.
/

I'm an election inspector and this year I worked in a district that was not my voting district so I mailed an absentee ballot in a week before the election. One of the other inspections was also out of district. This town had five districts so conceivably 10 absentee ballots would have been filed in a total community of aproximately 2500 registered voters. That is just accounting for election inspectors who had to use absentee ballots. One would have to account for those working and unable to vote and forced to use absentee ballots. I'm just attempting to show why there are so many absentee ballots and verify there legitimacy. The total numbers can be huge.
/

Maybe Election Day should be Election week, have the votes be counted over a period of a week

So voters by mail can be late in submiting votes but people who actually go to the polls to vote must do it before 7 p.m. on election day?

No! They must be postmarked before election day closing deadline, same as normal voters. It's the delivery that gums up the works in a normal fashion. I'm not faulting the US Mail as I have great confidence in that system.
/

In the recount.

People who vote by mail are being unfairly discriminated against because their ballots are being discounted simply for being delivered late.

Hmm...

She said that, per state law, any ballots not delivered to the Miami-Dade Elections Department by 7 p.m. on Election Day could not be counted toward the 2018 total.

Story from a local Florida paper.

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami-ballots-are-still-inside-opa-locka-post-office-10899192
Maybe you are, maybe you aren’t, it doesn’t matter the law is the law and any voter could’ve looked it up and made sure their ballot was sent on time, went to the polls, used registered mail, etc. You can probably also look up if your ballot has been received and if it hasn’t by Election Day you can go to a poll and cast provisional

The deadline is the deadline, if there was malfeasance then prosecute whoever that was but a late vote is just that, and shouldn’t be counted.

I'm an election inspector and this year I worked in a district that was not my voting district so I mailed an absentee ballot in a week before the election. One of the other inspectors was also out of district. This town had five districts so conceivably 10 absentee ballots would have been filed in a total community of aproximately 2500 registered voters just by inspectors. That is just accounting for election inspectors who had to use absentee ballots. One would have to account for those working and unable to vote and forced to use absentee ballots. I'm just attempting to show why there are so many absentee ballots and verify there legitimacy. The total numbers can be huge.
/
Is there early voting in your district?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

So voters by mail can be late in submiting votes but people who actually go to the polls to vote must do it before 7 p.m. on election day?
It's a bigger burden to reach the mail box than it is to get to the polls

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

Do you think the two might be connected? Knowing your vote is being suppressed by making you stand in line for hours you opt for a mail-in ballot only to find it's left uncounted anyway.

Do you think the two might be connected? Knowing your vote is being suppressed by making you stand in line for hours you opt for a mail-in ballot only to find it's left uncounted anyway.

No, its only uncounted if it is mailed too late. Are you suggesting there should be no deadline for mail in votes to reach the elections department? I get that we have to accommodate liberals that are too stupid to be able to get a photo ID, are you saying we must now accommodate those stupid liberals who cant find their own mail box?

What should the deadline be if not election day? Could I mail mine today and still have it counted?

Yes.

If Democrats desperately need votes.

It’s time:

1. People need to show ID to vote.

2. Vote on Election Day.

3. If you cannot vote on Election Day, then ask for a ballot so you can vote beforehand.

4. Voting lists get scrubbed 12-months before each election.

What would indicate the voters intended their votes to be late?

Isn't that the votes not being processed correctly makes the votes possibly invalid? Unless you have information that directly shows collusion of intent to defraud.

What would indicate the voters intended their votes to be late?

Isn't the votes not being processed correctly makes the votes possible invalid. Unless you have information that directly shows collusion of intent to defraud.

Maybe their intent was to have them arrive in time. The problem is they didnt. There have to be rules and deadlines in voting. Florida has 8 days of early voting, absentee, mail in ballots and 12 hours of election day voting. If that isnt enough room for people to get their votes in then, sorry, but their vote wont count.

Yes.

If Democrats desperately need votes.

It’s time:

1. People need to show ID to vote.

2. Vote on Election Day.

3. If you cannot vote on Election Day, then ask for a ballot so you can vote beforehand.

4. Voting lists get scrubbed 12-months before each election.

This past midterm showed that most county clerks can not handle the voting crowd in a one day election.

We here in Texas had massive crowds with long lines each day of early voting. How is the county going to handle 6 times the volume of voters on just one day?

Think things though.

This past midterm showed that most county clerks can not handle the voting crowd in a one day election.

We here in Texas has massive crowds with long lines each day of early voting. How is the county going to handle 6 times the volume of voters on just one day?

Think things though.

They can.

Let me put it this way. If I put a gun to your head and said do it or else... could you?

Of course you could.

Back
Top Bottom