• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Photography

The most important concept in capturing an image?

• Depth of field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Exposure

• Motion and movement

• Planning and understanding

• The stops ...TV,SS,ISO,EV

• Want and Sacrifice

• Total voters
Being at the right lace at the right time and with this even a lousy photographer can get a great picture.

Too funny ... OR and deltabtry!

More thoughts later to be posted on this thread ... linking the input from everyone and how it all comes together ... (albeit some components instinctual) for an awesome image.

Actually I really like those pics of the Blueberries and Dion the pics I really enjoy is of water.

Actually I really like those pics of the Blueberries and Dion the pics I really enjoy is of water.

They're actually native north american grapes... but ya, loved the colors

I dislike the false posturing people normal do when getting their picture taken. I prefer to take pictures of people unaware, being themselves and acting naturally. As soon as they realize your taking their picture, most people go into impression management mode, becoming self-conscious and stilted.

Timing is the most important thing when trying to capture that stuff. Photos should have a bit of story inside them, a slice of life that jogs your memory years after it was taken. “Look how intimate Alice and Bob used to be! God, Carol is still the same bitch that she was back in high school. Hey, look at Dave, being a goof like always.”

My style of photography is to take zillions of pictures at random times and later try prune out the 90% that suck.

I totally agree, Stoner. My husband is a photographer. He mostly does it for pure enjoyment, but does get paid shoots from time to time. He shoots alot of up-and-coming models, and shoots them TFP. I get SO FRUSTRATED when they look at the camera. I have told him a hundred times, "Don't let them look at the camera! Tell them to look away." And he does, and they don't. They still look at the camera.

Candid shots are 100% better, IMO. And yeah, shoot shoot shoot shoot. It doesn't cost a thing to shoot a zillion pictures anymore. 10 years ago? Couldn't really afford it. Now, all you are using up is time. Shoot 'til your heart's content, because out of those 500 pictures you shoot, 10 of them may be phenomenal.

I find myself lately drawn to close in imaging and pseudo macro. Large fields I often can't begin to capture properly with my P&S... nothing I do seems to capture what my eye is seeing. Though I suspect it has less to do with the camera than my focus of attention within the scene.

It seems that my limited field shots are much tighter and composed.

I also find myself, not so much methodically, but organically finding my way through the lens of a camera and learning... and trying to overcome it's limitations with things at hand, like magnifying glasses and sun glasses as filters.

Last edited:
Just goofing around with some image making this week end:

IMG_7197a.jpg

IMG_7195a.jpg

coupe of shots from the weekend:

IMG_7400ab mailer copy.jpg

IMG_7400abc mmailer copy.jpg

You have a great talent Winston.

Just goofing around with some image making this week end:

View attachment 67115517

Meant to comment on this ages ago...

I'm mystified how you got the colors on the chopper to pop on the shadow side of the subject. Cool effect.

I used to play around a lot with photoshop and other processors for commercial projects, and occasional still do to correct for the limitations of my p&s... but for the most part, have been inspired by the photographer I admire the most to keep it natural.

But I'll admit, one of my favorite subjects, skyscapes, I use a few tweaks to make the depth of cloud texture pop... since I have no settings to do so on p&s

Meant to comment on this ages ago...

I'm mystified how you got the colors on the chopper to pop on the shadow side of the subject. Cool effect.

I used to play around a lot with photoshop and other processors for commercial projects, and occasional still do to correct for the limitations of my p&s... but for the most part, have been inspired by the photographer I admire the most to keep it natural.

But I'll admit, one of my favorite subjects, skyscapes, I use a few tweaks to make the depth of cloud texture pop... since I have no settings to do so on p&s

Why thanxs I'm glad ya like.:)

I actually went to photo school in NYC. Pratt undergrad and NYU grad school. Worked in the gig professionally off and on for ohhhhh about 25 years now.

Lately since my heart thing I'm really getting back into it like I was before :)

Beginning of doggy images from this weekend from The Cathedral of Hope Blessing of the Animals

IMG_7615d.jpg

You're very talented, Winston. You even made Steve Buscemi look attractive. :2razz:

IMG_7892azzzz.jpg

From the other day at the dallas zoo

Back
Top Bottom