• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Photo ID to Vote - Yes or No

Photo ID to Vote - Yes or No

• Total voters

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Forget all the other crap that's typically rolled into such laws.
Boil this down to it's most simplistic, and verbatim question.

Should each person who votes, in any national and/or regional election, be required to verify their identity through a state approved photo ID card?

Nothing else is being asked or inferred here. A photo ID is all I'm asking about.

Yes or no?

Yes. And the Rangers will win the Cup next year. (oops sorry, I forgot nothing else was being asked)

No. Photo ID needed to register to vote... That also means that photo ID is provided free of charge to all legal residents and that we put into place mechanisms to assist in acquiring photo ID those who are unable to get to a location where photo ID can be issued.

Yes - in order to detect voter fraud you must be to identify (actual) voters and their official address. The nonsense that requiring ID is not discriminatory to buy a gun, cash a check or board an aircraft but becomes so to cast a ballot only once and in the proper district/state is ridiculous.

>

Yes, showing who you are as part of the voting process is common sense.

At the time you register to vote you should have to show that you are a citizen and of an appropriate age. The Commission of Elections is then responsible for determining if your right to vote has been removed through due process. Voter registration should be closed at least 90 days prior to an election to allow Registrars time to do their jobs.

Once registration is complete, then a wide range of government ID's should be valid to show proof of identity at the polling place.

>>>>

Crap! I meant to vote yes ans no in that poll. Oh well.

I say yes if they make state-approved IDs free of charge, and no if they do not.

Should each person who votes, in any national and/or regional election, be required to verify their identity through a state approved photo ID card?

Nothing else is being asked or inferred here. A photo ID is all I'm asking about.

Yes or no?

In a world where everyone was issued a government ID card? Yes. In a world where they aren't? This law largely exists to discriminate against people. I know numerous people in liberal precincts --in one case, a white young person-- who was refused the right to vote, even though he followed the ID laws. These laws exist for poll persons to discriminate against people, and Republican law makers have literally said as much. If I believed that this was about stopping election rigging, I would reconsider, but as they are currently written and as they currently function, they are harming US democracy, not helping it.

Last edited:

Yes or no?

Yes, so long as the State will issue the ID only to US Citizens and do so for Free.

Yes. Some photo ID should always be required to vote. Realize if your ID information is on file with your local country government, you don't need to whip out the photo ID every time you vote, but if you haven't voted in, say, at least, 5 years, you'll have to provide the photo ID.

I say yes if they make state-approved IDs free of charge, and no if they do not.

You don't have to make state-approved IDs free of charge, if they are used for another purpose.

For example if a Drivers License is one of the approved ID's, there is no problem charging a fee for the Drivers License since the primary purpose of the ID is to drive - not to vote. If a passport is one of the approved government ID's then a fee for the passport is fine because the primary purpose of the ID is for international travel - not to vote. Now if a person does not have another approved ID, then I agree that a non-Driving ID should be available free of charge. If someone has another valid ID, then there they are not eligible for the free non-Driving ID.

>>>>

Last edited:
Of course. We all know why Democrats are fighting tooth and nail to maintain voter fraud.

"Despite Democratic charges that conservative states and politicians are engaging in discrimination by demanding that voters show identification, more than three-quarters of likely voters believe photo ID laws are needed.

A new Rasmussen Reports poll out Wednesday found support for photo ID laws at 76 percent, nearly exactly the 78 percent support registered in 2006 when the latest movement to scrap the laws kicked off."

"President Obama and several top Democrats have accused Republicans of attempting to keep minorities from the polls with the photo requirement, but even their own party faithful don't agree.

Rasmussen found that 58 percent of Democrats believe a photo ID must be shown before voting."
Poll: 8-in-10 back voter ID | Washington Examiner

I can agree with this. If photo ID's were to be actually implemented, then they should be free of charge.

Last edited:
No. Photo ID needed to register to vote... That also means that photo ID is provided free of charge to all legal residents and that we put into place mechanisms to assist in acquiring photo ID those who are unable to get to a location where photo ID can be issued.

I registered online to get my voter registration card. My mother did not have an id when she registered to vote 5 or 6 years ago. While some places might require a photo ID to register but what about when you go to the polling places to vote? Does your state require that you show your voter registration card? And even if they do what is that voter registration card made out of? I do not know about your state but in my state voter registration cards are printed on simple card stock that anyone with a printer can print out and there is no photo on that voter registration card.

>

Yes, showing who you are as part of the voting process is common sense.

At the time you register to vote you should have to show that you are a citizen and of an appropriate age. The Commission of Elections is then responsible for determining if your right to vote has been removed through due process. Voter registration should be closed at least 90 days prior to an election to allow Registrars time to do their jobs.

Once registration is complete, then a wide range of government ID's should be valid to show proof of identity at the polling place.

>>>>

The problem is that the wider the range of ID documents permitted then the less apt that they are mutually exclusive. I can have tax records, library cards and paychecks in (from?) multiple districts/states. The validity of a DL (or state ID equivalent) is much easier to verify and much more likely to be unique.

You don't have to make state-approved IDs free of charge, if they are used for another purpose.

For example if a Drivers License is one of the approved ID's, there is no problem charging a fee for the Drivers License since the primary purpose of the ID is to drive - not to vote. If a passport is one of the approved government ID's then a fee for the passport is fine because the primary purpose of the ID is for international travel - not to vote. Now if a person does not have another approved ID, then I agree that a non-Driving ID should be available free of charge. If someone has another valid ID, then there they are not eligible for the free non-Driving ID.

>>>>

A free ID just for voters who don't have other IDs is acceptable.

Yes or no?

I voted yes. But if all you wanted was a simple yes or no, why did you insert the politics of "lean" into the poll?

It should be nothing to get a photo ID. States make it free, or at almost no cost, for those who need one. Healthcare depends on identification to insure proper care is provided. Other normal every day activities of people living in the US require some form of acceptable ID to provide services.

Choosing people to represent us in government is a basic principle of the United States. As much as I am dismayed by the approach our Founding Fathers took at the beginning, voting was seen as being serious enough that they applied special rules towards those who were allowed to vote.

It's serious business, and should be treated as such.

FREE ID's ??? :shock:

Why free? :soap

How much does a legal state approved photo ID cost? At worst it's what, $20 ? And that's good for 4 years in most places?

And I believe a photo ID should be shown each and every time somebody votes.

Yes or no?

I am unclear, why this should not be the case. Certainly the ID should not be restricted to one type only. A passport, say, should be allowed. But where is the general problem? :confused:

A free ID just for voters who don't have other IDs is acceptable.

I see no reason why it should not be, though, I do not think it should be limited to this type.

How much does a legal state approved photo ID cost? At worst it's what, $20 ? And that's good for 4 years in most places?

The cost is beside the point, charging money for people to be able to vote is still an unconstitutional poll tax.

There's nothing inherently wrong with requiring a photo ID to vote, although I'd generally oppose it on the grounds of it not being at all necessary. The problem isn't requiring an ID, it's what constitutes a valid ID and how those requirements place an unequal burden across different segments of the population.

Most people have a drivers license, so they don't think that getting an ID is a burden at all. But what if you don't? How can you get one? What if getting an ID costs money (ie poll tax)? What if the ID centers aren't anywhere nearby and open only during business hours? You're not making ends meet as it is, how are you going to take a day off of work and pay for transportation to get an ID just to vote?

And for people that are concerned with voter fraud, think about how you'd do it. Take the easiest state to impact. Say you wanted to give your candidate a 1 point advantage in the Florida presidential election. That's 85,000 votes. A single vote will take 30 minutes to an hour with travel (actually average wait in fl was 34 min). Moreover no one will be able to vote twice at the same location because if anyone is recognized the entire plot will be exposed. At most, a single person could probably vote 11 times a day over the 8 early voting days and election day, or about 100x. Not everyone could be so diligent, so you'd need at least 1000 conspirators to pull off a 1point swing. You'd also need a comprehensive database of 850,000 registered voters who are guaranteed not to vote and who are not known by the poll workers (ie your neighbors), and even then there's 850,000 chances to get caught.

In contrast, voter ID laws could make a 1-3 point difference in a state like Florida.

Yes or no?

I'm already required to show my ID, so why do we keep asking this question. You get stopped by a cop, he wants to see your ID. You go to a bank to withdraw money, they want to see an ID.

The kerfuffle would be huge with people crying "Poll Tax!". It would raise the level of hate in the streets. We do not need that.

But in principal you are absolutely right. Maybe it could come out of a VAT.

Of course. We all know why Democrats are fighting tooth and nail to maintain voter fraud.

"Despite Democratic charges that conservative states and politicians are engaging in discrimination by demanding that voters show identification, more than three-quarters of likely voters believe photo ID laws are needed.

A new Rasmussen Reports poll out Wednesday found support for photo ID laws at 76 percent, nearly exactly the 78 percent support registered in 2006 when the latest movement to scrap the laws kicked off."

"President Obama and several top Democrats have accused Republicans of attempting to keep minorities from the polls with the photo requirement, but even their own party faithful don't agree.

Rasmussen found that 58 percent of Democrats believe a photo ID must be shown before voting."
Poll: 8-in-10 back voter ID | Washington Examiner

The most prevalent case of voter fraud is with absentee ballots, particularly in suburban and rural areas where children submit ballots for their ailing parents.

Back
Top Bottom