• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Photo ID to Vote - Yes or No

Photo ID to Vote - Yes or No

• Total voters
I'm already required to show my ID, so why do we keep asking this question. You get stopped by a cop, he wants to see your ID. You go to a bank to withdraw money, they want to see an ID.

Are you required to notarize an absentee ballot? Are you required to provide an ID when you mail it in?

In a world where everyone was issued a government ID card? Yes. In a world where they aren't? This law largely exists to discriminate against people.

Is it also discrimination to require identification for other purposes?

The cost is beside the point, charging money for people to be able to vote is still an unconstitutional poll tax.

Documents needed in most states just to register to vote costs money. They require things like a utility bill, student ID, passport, drivers license etc. All of which aren't free.

I registered online to get my voter registration card. My mother did not have an id when she registered to vote 5 or 6 years ago. While some places might require a photo ID to register but what about when you go to the polling places to vote? Does your state require that you show your voter registration card? And even if they do what is that voter registration card made out of? I do not know about your state but in my state voter registration cards are printed on simple card stock that anyone with a printer can print out and there is no photo on that voter registration card.
If the voter is on file and hasn't moved, no card - nothing is required...in Iowa.

Where a person lives is quite important to being able to vote. In the right state, for sure (there are exceptions for college students). One other indirect way to prevent a duplication of voting is have everyone vote in the precinct where they live.
Of course, if you live in a state like, for example, Oregon, all voting is done online so there isn't any precinct requirement to possibly prevent voter fraud.

Last edited:
The cost is beside the point, charging money for people to be able to vote is still an unconstitutional poll tax.

It's not charging people money to vote. It's charging them money to have a valid and legal photo ID.

I have to pay for gas in my car, and my car, and my insurance in order to drive myself to polling place. Isn't that "paying to vote"?

Having to take public transportation to get to polling place is requiring people to "pay".

The cost of your shoes and clothing?

I believe it's very IMPORTANT to require people to verify who they are when voting.
Is there a better way than a certified photo ID?

The most prevalent case of voter fraud is with absentee ballots, particularly in suburban and rural areas where children submit ballots for their ailing parents.

Mail in ballots as well. Many elderly have their kids fill them out and mail them in.

Is it also discrimination to require identification for other purposes?

You don't have a Constitutionally-protected right to get into your favorite club or drink your favorite beer, so probably not, unless you want to make those "other purposes" clear.

If the voter is on file and hasn't moved out of the precinct, no card - nothing is required.

Where a person lives is quite important to being able to vote. In the right state, for sure (there are exceptions for college students). One other way to prevent a duplication of voting is have everyone vote in the precinct where they live.

That's a big issue in reality particularly in mid terms. College kids aren't really an issue for presidential elections since the ballot is the same for everyone. But when it comes to senators and house, if a student is away at school, they cant vote for their "home" candidate if they don't get an absentee. We had that issue with our friends, their daughter worked over the summer on a senatorial campaign but neglected to consider an absentee ballot. Come November, as she attends school out of state, that candidate wasn't on the ballot. No one had even considered it because so many just keep saying "college kids can vote at school." So she couldn't even vote for the candidate she volunteered for.

FREE ID's ??? :shock:

Why free? :soap

How much does a legal state approved photo ID cost? At worst it's what, $20 ? And that's good for 4 years in most places?

And I believe a photo ID should be shown each and every time somebody votes.

Greetings, Dragonfly. :2wave:

:agree: We have had to provide a photo ID to vote in Ohio for years, and that has never been a problem, to my knowledge! I use my driver's license, but any form of State or Federal document that has a photo of you - passport, etc - will be accepted. One of the workers at the polling station once told me he even has to ask his Mom to show ID, so it's certainly not discriminatory! :mrgreen:

You don't have to make state-approved IDs free of charge, if they are used for another purpose.

For example if a Drivers License is one of the approved ID's, there is no problem charging a fee for the Drivers License since the primary purpose of the ID is to drive - not to vote. If a passport is one of the approved government ID's then a fee for the passport is fine because the primary purpose of the ID is for international travel - not to vote. Now if a person does not have another approved ID, then I agree that a non-Driving ID should be available free of charge. If someone has another valid ID, then there they are not eligible for the free non-Driving ID.

>>>>

In my state, photo IDs are issued for a nominal fee. I have no problem with this. Ohio also requires photo ID to vote, and people don't seem to have difficulty voting.

Documents needed in most states just to register to vote costs money. They require things like a utility bill, student ID, passport, drivers license etc. All of which aren't free.

A current paycheck or government document will also suffice. Nobody has to pay to receive their paychecks, and some government documents do not cost money to get your hands on. If there are options for state-issued IDs, then it's perfectly acceptable for there to be options that do cost money.

What percentage of US citizens don't have a photo ID?

Of those folks, why don't they have one? Illegal immigrants? Wanted felons? Criminals?

Another way of thinking about this, if a person can't get a photo ID for whatever reason, do "we" really need them to vote any way?

If having a photo ID is too much of a burden, then I'm sure due diligence regarding learning about the candidates as well as actually registering to vote and getting to polling place is probably too much of a burden as well.

I can agree with this. If photo ID's were to be actually implemented, then they should be free of charge.

Why?

I had to pay for my driver license in order to drive.

It works for any circumstance requiring photo ID.

If I get a required photo ID as a college student, I have to pay for that also.

I also had to pay for my concealed carry permit.

You don't have a Constitutionally-protected right to get into your favorite club or drink your favorite beer, so probably not, unless you want to make those "other purposes" clear.

I see, so requiring ID to purchase a gun is discriminatory. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Why?

I had to pay for my driver license in order to drive.

It works for any circumstance requiring photo ID.

If I get a required photo ID as a college student, I have to pay for that also.

I also had to pay for my concealed carry permit.

Because it would probably be akin to a poll tax.

Yes. And the Rangers will win the Cup next year. (oops sorry, I forgot nothing else was being asked)

They have an actual hockey team?

Who knew? :mrgreen:

Forget all the other crap that's typically rolled into such laws.
Boil this down to it's most simplistic, and verbatim question.

Should each person who votes, in any national and/or regional election, be required to verify their identity through a state approved photo ID card?

Nothing else is being asked or inferred here. A photo ID is all I'm asking about.

Yes or no?

The question is far too complex to answer.

You see, we need to know if the legislature did anything prior to enacting the law that we can try to use to claim that they were looking for a way to systematically disenfranchise minority voters. You see, without this, how can we possibly apply identity politics to the situation. Because, you see, all politics must have some level of identity in it in order to divide and conquer!

If the voter is on file and hasn't moved, no card - nothing is required...in Iowa.

So you if show up the polling place they just have to take your word that you are who you say you are

Where a person lives is quite important to being able to vote. In the right state, for sure (there are exceptions for college students). One other indirect way to prevent a duplication of voting is have everyone vote in the precinct where they live.
Of course, if you live in a state like, for example, Oregon, all voting is done online so there isn't any precinct requirement to possibly prevent voter fraud.

It sounds like Oregon is just opening the door for voter fraud.Although I suppose they will do something about it when it doesn't work in their favor.

That's a big issue in reality particularly in mid terms. College kids aren't really an issue for presidential elections since the ballot is the same for everyone. But when it comes to senators and house, if a student is away at school, they cant vote for their "home" candidate if they don't get an absentee. We had that issue with our friends, their daughter worked over the summer on a senatorial campaign but neglected to consider an absentee ballot. Come November, as she attends school out of state, that candidate wasn't on the ballot. No one had even considered it because so many just keep saying "college kids can vote at school." So she couldn't even vote for the candidate she volunteered for.
Yeah, I made some corrections to my post. Sorry for the slowness.

A current paycheck or government document will also suffice. Nobody has to pay to receive their paychecks, and some government documents do not cost money to get your hands on. If there are options for state-issued IDs, then it's perfectly acceptable for there to be options that do cost money.

Depends on where you live. Here we need 2 forms of ID to register. We have a proof of domicile law as well.

Proof of Identification:
Valid Driver's License, Non-Driver's ID, Current Passport, Military ID, or a completed Qualified Voter Affidavit signed under the penalties of voting fraud set forth by State Law.
◾Proof of Domicile:
Valid NH Vehicle Registration, Utility Bill (with applicant's name on it, i.e. Telephone, Gas, Electric), medical bills, pay stubs showing your Manchester address or other monthly bills, postmarked mail within the last 30 days or a completed Domicile Affidavit signed under the penalties of voting fraud set forth by State Law.

https://www.manchesternh.gov/Departments/City-Clerk/Voter-Registration-and-Elections/How-to-Register

I see, so requiring ID to purchase a gun is discriminatory. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Well, the Second Amendment plainly says "a well-regulated militia." I'm an advocate for gun rights (not necessarily for gun ownership, but if you want one and you are an emotionally stable person with no violent criminal record, bully for you if you do), but I do think there's obvious reasons why you want it to be "well-regulated." And the Supreme Court has agreed with this interpretation for a long time.

Depends on where you live. Here we need 2 forms of ID to register. We have a proof of domicile law as well.

Proof of Identification:
Valid Driver's License, Non-Driver's ID, Current Passport, Military ID, or a completed Qualified Voter Affidavit signed under the penalties of voting fraud set forth by State Law.
◾Proof of Domicile:
Valid NH Vehicle Registration, Utility Bill (with applicant's name on it, i.e. Telephone, Gas, Electric), medical bills, pay stubs showing your Manchester address or other monthly bills, postmarked mail within the last 30 days or a completed Domicile Affidavit signed under the penalties of voting fraud set forth by State Law.

https://www.manchesternh.gov/Departments/City-Clerk/Voter-Registration-and-Elections/How-to-Register

Interesting.

The most prevalent case of voter fraud is with absentee ballots, particularly in suburban and rural areas where children submit ballots for their ailing parents.

When my father was in a nursing home the Democrat Party thugs would show up with already filled in absentee ballots and they would try to coerce the elderly patients into signing the ballots. And, the thugs are proud of what they do.

Back
Top Bottom