• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Phoenix police revoke guy's white privilege

About a month ago, in the early evening while at a hotel someone knocked on the room door (and others) and opening it no one was there. This happened 2 more times. The 4th time I opened the door in time and it was a group of half a dozen adolescence age kids coming back from the swimming pool - one of them knocking on doors as walking by.

Apparently most of you are of the opinion that I failed in my civil duty in that I not didn't shoot even one of them. I hadn't even grabbed my Desert Eagle baby 45 acp before opening the door and stepping out to tell them to knock it off. Unlike most of you in the same situation, I didn't have any weapon in my hand at all.

You bring up some good questions and those questions, actually, are why this particular incident is a good one to work from. There is, admittedly, a whole lot of "grey area" in this and, since the victim is white, we can ignore the majority of the racial baggage that inevitably ends up taking over if the victim is black.

No two incidents are ever the same so when we ask "what could be done different" we're kind of shoveling water against the tide. We may well see similar incidents and similar circumstances but we won't see THIS incident again. It's important for viewers to remember that the actual shooting is always the result of a series of circumstances, not just one thing and that series includes all kinds of stuff a viewer might not catch in a video clip. I'll elaborate on this later but right now I need to do some yard work before it his 100°.
I will apologize for this long post but this is complicated stuff and I have a lot of ideas bubbling around

. We have done a disservice to this broad issue of police abuse of force by adding a superficial understanding of race to the mix. And nobody seems to want to be clear about what role it may actually play in magnifying a series of preexisting advantages that police have when these potential miscarriages of justice happen in which a person is either physically abused, or killed.

Here's a quick list of the advantages a cop has when they are being investigated and charged with a crime. They understand the process. They know what evidence is coming in and what evidence won't. They have the remnants of the 'blue wall' with a series of alliances, friends and coworkers who might bend a rule, or be a bit more careless with piece of of evidence, or slow walk a report or test or not push so hard on a witness etc. Cops are professional witnesses. My Dad, a DA, said he would far rather cross examine a lawyer or a doctor or a nun over a cop. Cops do not rattle. Cops rarely make stupid mistakes on the stand. This is a drill they are incredibly comfortable with. They know the good attorneys, the hard or easy judges. they often get help from the police union paying for their legal fees consistent with the contract. People want to believe cops and they have been trained since childhood that the cop is the 'good guy', including jurors and witnesses. Emotionally, their sense of security and justice is tied to that uniform and badge and they are very sympathetic to the problems and risks of being a cop. On the other side you have a 'troublemaker' with a theft charge, a battery charge and a drug conviction and so may be half his witnesses!

Cities and counties tend to write policies that protect the capital investment an experienced cop represents and the last thing they want to do is create a policy, the breach of which may lead to a lawsuit. You protect the city cop with how these policies and procedures are structured and written and it pays dividends in the courtroom later on. That whole qualified immunity concept has been pushed farther and farther by the courts. It all makes it very difficult to convict a cop or hold him liable and I have not even raised the issue of race.

So if the victim is black, and the result of the investigation or trial seems clearly counter to the video, and the evidence everyone saw on the evening news, folks smell a racist rat. But nobody is real careful about identifying where the racist rat is because they can't identify the racist rat, and it is left to everyone's imagination to presume its the cop. But racism is insidious and it can seep through the justice system in all sorts of places, any one of which can compromise a result. It may well not be the cop or some racial profiling by the police force. Racism may color the initial complaint or tip. Racism may impact the way a single important witness perceived events or whether he is willing to testify. Racism may fester in a prosecutor deciding the charge, or in the defense counsel deciding how vigorous a defense he will provide, or an expert witness who chooses slightly different words on the stand depending on the race of the defendant. Maybe racism is in none of those places, just the judge, or just one of those 12 jurors.

Just because they smell a rat, does not mean anyone knows which rat, let alone that the cop is the rat. And yes often people smell something that was not there at all, because they expected to smell it. that too happens.

this is a complicated problem to solve and rushing to the 'racism' explanation too quickly means we may not be seeing the right problem at all.

Last edited:
It is sad to see so many people claiming officers have to pick between being crippled for life/murders - or imprisoned as a murderer.

Which would you pick at the job you have/had:

1. Being crippled/paralyzed or murdered OR
2. Imprisoned as an ex-cop in prison as a murderer.

Most of you demand the police pick between those two decisions. Which one would you pick? This might be difficult for most of you on this thread if you have not heard the answer from CNN, but pick.

You have 0.6 seconds to make your choice.

I should be dead. I had that exact thing happen, when cops lied and said they heard a woman crying for fifteen minutes. Said I had beat a woman into the walls for an hour. I had been asleep for four hours.

They bashed the door, and all three were there with guns drawn. Had I came down to answer the door with a gun, I would be dead. If I had a dog, they would have killed it. COPS NEED REFORM. NOT just for beating blacks.

It is sad to see so many people claiming officers have to pick between being crippled for life/murders - or imprisoned as a murderer.

Which would you pick at the job you have/had:

1. Being crippled/paralyzed or murdered OR
2. Imprisoned as an ex-cop in prison as a murderer.

Most of you demand the police pick between those two decisions. Which one would you pick? This might be difficult for most of you on this thread if you have not heard the answer from CNN, but pick.

You have 0.6 seconds to make your choice.

Why dont you show some stats, to show that being a cop is dangerous? I have had far more dangerous jobs than cop.

The fact is: being a policeman is not one of the most dangerous jobs you can have, according to statistics from the Bureau of Labor.

In five years, 2008 to 2012, only one policeman was killed by a firearm in the line of duty in New York City. Police officers are many times more likely to commit suicide than to be killed by a criminal;
Police Work Isn't as Dangerous as You May Think | HuffPost

Again, you are not accurate. He didn't just "own a gun." He has a pistol in his hand and in a public area specifically in response to the police.

I don't know the officers did **** up. We do not know the alternative that would have happened.

Didn't you claim the Missouri couple should be charged? They didn't shoot anyone and the guy was only holding a rifle, never pointing it at anyone. And he had a mob in front of him, not police who had announced their presence. Explain the distinction.

It was not a public area. It was his own home. He was holding legally owned gun being legally held inside his own home. You can do that. He was not threatening anybody.

LEO screwed up.

It was not a public area. It was his own home. He was holding legally owned gun being legally held inside his own home. You can do that. He was not threatening anybody.

LEO screwed up.

A walkway in an apartment complex is a public area. The moment any part of his body entered the hallway he was committing a felony under Arizona law.

Not allowing your partner and possibly yourself to be murdered by a person engaging in a felony in a 100% irrational way is not screwing up except to those who claim police have a duty to allow themselves and/or their partner to be murdered.

A walkway in an apartment complex is a public area. The moment any part of his body entered the hallway he was committing a felony under Arizona law.

Not allowing your partner and possibly yourself to be murdered by a person engaging in a felony in a 100% irrational way is not screwing up except to those who claim police have a duty to allow themselves and/or their partner to be murdered.

Nobody was murdering anybody. That's the point.

No it is not systemic. That is a lie. Police officers across the country that serve dealing with **** everyday seeing the worst of humanity are now being held under a microscope. It damn well is political. Police across this country are retiring or resigning in droves because the low pay they get for putting up with all this **** isn't worth it. You leftists want to defund the police? You won't need to because the forces are dwindling daily. And at one point in your life when you really need one, your call will not be answered...happy?

You are making a wrong assumption. You are assuming all "leftists" may some day need the police - when for some it is they think there may be a day when the police are called on them for criminal activity.

Criminals hate police. The Democratic Party hates the police. Many "progressives" hate police. You only have to see the destruction caused even by "protesters" to understand their hatred of police. But for the police, everything in every store is free. But for the police, you can rape, rob, assault,and murder almost anyone you want to - and destroy almost anything you want to.

Back
Top Bottom