• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Philly must be out of their mind

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Look at this opinion piece from Mark Hemingway.

Philly requiring bloggers to pay $300 for a business license | Washington Examiner

I love the idea of $300 for the "privilege" license; you must pay a tax for the privilege to share your ideas, now that is an example of freedom. I am being sarcastic of course and this is ridiculous. How long before the City of Philadelphia taxes those outside of their jurisdiction because someone in their city may read your blog or website.

I see this as an unacceptable intrusion into personal liberty. If someone lives in Philly and wishes to criticize the city government, they will now have to pay for the “privilege” to exercise their Constitutional rights, does this bother anyone else? What do you think?

LOL - look at that stupidity.

That's actually just going to discourage two things: #1 - people from blogging. #2 - people from reporting any earned income from those blogs.

I wish I could just charge other people fees and fines for daily involvement with me - you know - charge a salesman $2.00 every time they step foot on my property or $1.25 every time someone asks me for directions.

You know - that would be great if I could just charge money because I want money.

Having to pay to make what is essentially an online diary is very very wrong. Only people who choose to incorporate or make a substantial amount due to blogging (maybe, I am not sure if I am fully committed to this idea) should have to get a license.

Last edited:
Look at this opinion piece from Mark Hemingway.

Philly requiring bloggers to pay $300 for a business license | Washington Examiner

I love the idea of $300 for the "privilege" license; you must pay a tax for the privilege to share your ideas, now that is an example of freedom. I am being sarcastic of course and this is ridiculous. How long before the City of Philadelphia taxes those outside of their jurisdiction because someone in their city may read your blog or website.

I see this as an unacceptable intrusion into personal liberty. If someone lives in Philly and wishes to criticize the city government, they will now have to pay for the “privilege” to exercise their Constitutional rights, does this bother anyone else? What do you think?

It won't hold up in court.

Prior restraint isn't legal from what I understand.

Now - if the website itself wanted to charge for people to use it, that would be a very different story.

Back
Top Bottom