• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Philly is poised to be the first major city with a soda tax

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Philly is poised to be the first major city with a soda tax — by focusing on money, not obesity

Tonight, a city council committee approved a modified version of Kenney's proposed plan: a 1.5 cent levy per ounce of both sugary and diet drinks. The tax is expected to clear a final vote next week, and when it does, Kenney's approach could be a model for other mayors across the US who have been trying to push through similar measures for years.

Philly is poised to be the first major city with a soda tax — by focusing on money, not obesity - Vox

Philly is poised to be the first major city with a soda tax — by focusing on money, not obesity

Tonight, a city council committee approved a modified version of Kenney's proposed plan: a 1.5 cent levy per ounce of both sugary and diet drinks. The tax is expected to clear a final vote next week, and when it does, Kenney's approach could be a model for other mayors across the US who have been trying to push through similar measures for years.

Philly is poised to be the first major city with a soda tax — by focusing on money, not obesity - Vox

Uhh didn't NYC already do this under Boomberg and then the courts said it was arbitrary and unconstitutional. Oh they are doing it on diet drinks too. .. I'm still skeptical it will hold up.

That's a $2.16 tax on a 12 pack of soda. There's no way that will last.

Uhh didn't NYC already do this under Boomberg and then the courts said it was arbitrary and unconstitutional. Oh they are doing it on diet drinks too. .. I'm still skeptical it will hold up.

the soda industry has already spent millions fighting it. you'll consume what those companies TELL YOU to consume

The Gubmint punishing those that don't conform? Imagine that. Which political party is it that controls the City of Brotherly Love?

Edit: I have to admit, given the OP poster, I thought something bad happened to the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich - that PHL was going to ban them or something - all I could see was "Philly poised to be the first..." and I thought, oh no.

morons are imposing a sin tax on diet soda, too, if the article that i looked at is correct.

morons are imposing a sin tax on diet soda, too, if the article that i looked at is correct.

You wait, the government is hard up for the ability to tax enough to pay its bills, they will keep rolling out more sin taxes for for as long as they can get away with it.

Why not legalize weed and tax that instead of making people feel bad about drinking a Coke?

Why ever?

I guess I'll be drinking my rum 'neat' in Philly!

You wait, the government is hard up for the ability to tax enough to pay its bills, they will keep rolling out more sin taxes for for as long as they can get away with it.

This bill in Philly at least they don't even make a pretense that this is about health... its a money grab plain and simple. The Mayor isn't even trying to sell it as a health related bill.

This bill in Philly at least they don't even make a pretense that this is about health... its a money grab plain and simple. The Mayor isn't even trying to sell it as a health related bill.

Have you been watching Philly? The place is basically an economic and social disaster......population growing because the migrants are flooding in, jobs in decline, I think too quality of the jobs still in decline, this with the city being in general decline since sometime during the 60's.

Desperate times/deserate measures.

taxes like these negatively and unfairly effect the poor, these kind of taxes (if they exist at all) should be directly imposed on the manufacturers, never the consumers

Why not just tax the fat people for being fat if that's what they trying to stop?

Stupid tax is stupid. Soda is the least of our worries when alcohol has so many calories, drinks at coffee chains usually have 300+ calories in them, and a myriad of other beverages people consume are high calorie too.

taxes like these negatively and unfairly effect the poor, these kind of taxes (if they exist at all) should be directly imposed on the manufacturers, never the consumers

The poor dont vote.

the soda industry has already spent millions fighting it. you'll consume what those companies TELL YOU to consume

and I will enjoy every sip.

my soda is already sales taxed....

Why not just tax the fat people for being fat if that's what they trying to stop?

Stupid tax is stupid. Soda is the least of our worries when alcohol has so many calories, drinks at coffee chains usually have 300+ calories in them, and a myriad of other beverages people consume are high calorie too.

The alcohol lobby is apparently more powerful then the soda lobby. Washington actually has an state level agency in charge of promoting Washington state breweries and wineries. no similiar commission exists to promote local soda makers (of which we have many) and not only that the alcohol makers are exempt from having to post nutricion facts on their labels.

the poor are the people most susceptible to being poisoned by the food processing industry.

Have you been watching Philly? The place is basically an economic and social disaster......population growing because the migrants are flooding in, jobs in decline, I think too quality of the jobs still in decline, this with the city being in general decline since sometime during the 60's.

Desperate times/deserate measures.

I cant imagine that a tax on soda is going to help jobs.
Philly has a city wage tax of 3.9102% for residents that's on top of any fed, state and county taxes.
In addition they have a 2% sales tax on top of the county sales tax of 6%.
They ad a 5% tax on any amusement like going to ball games, concerts, movies.
They add an 8.5% tax on to hotel stays.
hell they even tax valet parking 22.5%
there is a bunch of others and Pensylvania has a somewhat high property tax rate.

its no wonder people don't want to work or live there that's why its a disaster.

I cant imagine that a tax on soda is going to help jobs.
Philly has a city wage tax of 3.9102% for residents that's on top of any fed, state and county taxes.
In addition they have a 2% sales tax on top of the county sales tax of 6%.
They ad a 5% tax on any amusement like going to ball games, concerts, movies.
They add an 8.5% tax on to hotel stays.
hell they even tax valet parking 22.5%
there is a bunch of others and Pensylvania has a somewhat high property tax rate.

its no wonder people don't want to work or live there that's why its a disaster.

That is not the point, the point is that the government needs money, and the economy is in a several generation decline so the taxing power suffers.

Taxes imposed on manufacturers are paid by consumers, of course. Every corporate tax shows up on a price tag.

I think it was Jeff Foxworthy who coined the phrase "Mountain Dew: Nectar of morons"

Back
Top Bottom