• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Philly is poised to be the first major city with a soda tax

But soda contains none, so to call juice the same as soda is not correct. in fact one serving of orange juice contains over half of your daily reccommended intake of vitmanin C.

ever hear of scurvy? no bueno

If the only way you will get your vitamin C is by drinking a serving or orange juice, sure drink it I suppose. My go to way is eating a cup or two of raspberries daily. Full of vitamins, fiber, and taste delicious.

If the only way you will get your vitamin C is by drinking a serving or orange juice, sure drink it I suppose. My go to way is eating a cup or two of raspberries daily. Full of vitamins, fiber, and taste delicious.

raspberries are expensive and I live alone, food doesn't go fast. however I buy a gallon of OJ that because it's so acidic stays good for 5 weeks or so and I take two weeks to go through it.

The nutritional value of 100% fruit juice is actually extremely low. This happens because when you process the fruit juice, you remove the fiber and other nutritious parts of the fruit and just get the sugary juice. Too much of any sugar is bad. Including fruit sugars. Eating whole fruit is much healthier than drinking soda, but fruit juice is basically "feel good" soda.
I totally agree. I have a blender so its more about liquefying than taking out the fiber.

fresh fruit > juicing/juices

The nutritional value of 100% fruit juice is actually extremely low. This happens because when you process the fruit juice, you remove the fiber and other nutritious parts of the fruit and just get the sugary juice. Too much of any sugar is bad. Including fruit sugars. Eating whole fruit is much healthier than drinking soda, but fruit juice is basically "feel good" soda.

depends on how the fruit is juiced. tell me what "other nutritious parts of the fruit" are removed? lol

depends on how the fruit is juiced. tell me what "other nutritious parts of the fruit" are removed? lol

No, it really doesn't. Juicing removes almost all of the good aspects of the fruit and retains the sweet, sugary, liquid. Liquids are dealt by our stomachs differently than food. Due to this, the liquid is absorbed more rapidly than food, which makes the sugar levels even worse for you. Fiber is obviously lost with juice which is a large part of the reason fruit is considered good for you. A lot of the vitamins are also lost when you juice. You would think that someone that prides themselves on being a "militant vegan" would be knowledgeable on the subject at hand.

No, it really doesn't. Juicing removes almost all of the good aspects of the fruit and retains the sweet, sugary, liquid. Liquids are dealt by our stomachs differently than food. Due to this, the liquid is absorbed more rapidly than food, which makes the sugar levels even worse for you. Fiber is obviously lost with juice which is a large part of the reason fruit is considered good for you. A lot of the vitamins are also lost when you juice. You would think that someone that prides themselves on being a "militant vegan" would be knowledgeable on the subject at hand.

oh I'm much more knowledgeable than you on this subject and the more you talk, the more foolish you look. Fruit juice is supposed to be made fresh and drank SPARINGLY not in huge buckets the way people guzzle mountain dew.

I asked you what was removed besides fiber and you didn't answer me. whoops. You don't have to remove the fiber anyway. you can use a vitamix and blend the whole thing. Anything else I can educate you on?

You read this I take it:

What’s more, health advisers argue that so much damage is done to the goodness in fruit when you extract the juice or turn it into a smoothie in a blender, it’s far better to just eat the original apple, banana or orange. ‘The mechanism of consuming a whole piece of fruit is undoubtedly better for you on every level; weight loss, fibre absorption and nutrients,’ says nutritionist Jackie Lynch.
There’s no question that fruit and vegetables are good for us — they help protect against strokes, high blood pressure, heart disease and even some cancers as well as providing important nutrients including zinc, for the immune system, and folic acid for making red blood cells.
The problem is, juicers reduce many of these health benefits. They work by extracting every drop of liquid from, say, an orange or apple and leaving much of the pith, peel, core and pips behind. But it’s these parts of the fruit that contain the fibre which is so vital for our digestive systems.

Read more: Why juicing might not be so healthy after all | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

oh I'm much more knowledgeable than you on this subject and the more you talk, the more foolish you look. Fruit juice is supposed to be made fresh and drank SPARINGLY not in huge buckets the way people guzzle mountain dew.

I asked you what was removed besides fiber and you didn't answer me. whoops. You don't have to remove the fiber anyway. you can use a vitamix and blend the whole thing. Anything else I can educate you on?

I told you what else was removed. Nutrients such as vitamins are lost in the process. If you are using a 300+ dollar blender why don't you just either:

1. Eat the whole fruit.

2. Take multivitamins that provide all the nutrients and vitamins you need.

People with actual scientific knowledge of the subject recommend that you do not drink more than one glass of fruit juice per day. You literally know nothing.

You read this I take it:

Did I read that exact article? No. But it is well documented that when you drink fruit juice, you are drinking mainly the sugary liquid that is left. If the fiber was missing from fruit, we would not be recommended to eat them. At the very most, one serving a day. Also, liquid just generally doesn't fill you up. You drink a serving a juice and then what? You want to eat food that actually has fiber and substance to it. If I had the choice to eat a cup of raspberries and an orange for a snack, or a blended up juice with raspberries and orange juice, I am taking the fruit almost every time.

I told you what else was removed. Nutrients such as vitamins are lost in the process. If you are using a 300+ dollar blender why don't you just either:

1. Eat the whole fruit.

2. Take multivitamins that provide all the nutrients and vitamins you need.

People with actual scientific knowledge of the subject recommend that you do not drink more than one glass of fruit juice per day. You literally know nothing.

what nutrients and vitamins are lost when you make fresh juice with a juicer? waiting.

I just told you juice is to be drank sparingly. Do you have a problem with reading comprehension?

what nutrients and vitamins are lost when you make fresh juice with a juicer? waiting.

I just told you juice is to be drank sparingly. Do you have a problem with reading comprehension?

Do you think that commercial juicers get much out of the apple peel? I dont, I used to see what came out of the cider press and was fed to the farm animals.

EDIT: Also I want to look into what happens when they use enzymes to prevent what is called haze in some juices. That nice clear liquid sugar in those bottles might have been gain at the cost of nutrition, it is not like we have not seen the food industry do that often enough already....

Do you think that commercial juicers get much out of the apple peel? I dont, I used to see what came out of the cider press and was fed to the farm animals.

EDIT: Also I want to look into what happens when they use enzymes to prevent what is called haze in some juices. That nice clear liquid sugar in those bottles might have been gain at the cost of nutrition, it is not like we have not seen the food industry do that often enough already....

the better the juicer the more you get.it is recommended you juice the peel of many veggies and with the vitamix everything gets blended.

the better the juicer the more you get.it is recommended you juice the peel of many veggies and with the vitamix everything gets blended.

WOW, what percent of American juice drinkers drink that homemade super high end stuff?

You do know where America is, right?

WOW, what percent of American juice drinkers drink that homemade super high end stuff?

Homemade juice is wonderful. You can mix it to your personal taste. A bit of a clean up, but once you have done it a few times, you are done fast.

a juicer from walmart is about 30-40 bucks.

nope all sugars are basically the same, in fact diet sodas can be worse for your health, also since fruit juice can have more sugar than regular soda, this excise tax still makes no sense
If it's purported to be for health reasons, it makes sense on paper, but this specific proposal doesn't make that claim. It's just a revenue generating sin tax against a perceived politically weak user group.

Philly is poised to be the first major city with a soda tax — by focusing on money, not obesity

Tonight, a city council committee approved a modified version of Kenney's proposed plan: a 1.5 cent levy per ounce of both sugary and diet drinks. The tax is expected to clear a final vote next week, and when it does, Kenney's approach could be a model for other mayors across the US who have been trying to push through similar measures for years.

Philly is poised to be the first major city with a soda tax — by focusing on money, not obesity - Vox

What a shock democrats finding new things to tax !! :shock::lamo

Back
Top Bottom