• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Philly is poised to be the first major city with a soda tax

The old me would've supported it, but I matured and realized that such measures attempt to merely remedy the symptoms of effeteness and intemperance. To paraphrase Plato: "A good body isn't good by its own virtue; it's good by the virtue of the soul in it".

That's a $2.16 tax on a 12 pack of soda. There's no way that will last.

It will force the poor to drink tap water. :doh

The old me would've supported it, but I matured and realized that such measures attempt to merely remedy the symptoms of effeteness and intemperance. To paraphrase Plato: "A good body isn't good by its own virtue; it's good by the virtue of the soul in it".

I'm glad to hear you're growing up. ;)

do you drink that swill?

I drink pop once a year, by choice. Higher taxes make no or little difference and wouldn't persuade me to drink less.
This tax will, once again, hit the poor more than those who can afford to spend a bit more. Will it lessen the consumption? I doubt it.

Philly is poised to be the first major city with a soda tax — by focusing on money, not obesity

Tonight, a city council committee approved a modified version of Kenney's proposed plan: a 1.5 cent levy per ounce of both sugary and diet drinks. The tax is expected to clear a final vote next week, and when it does, Kenney's approach could be a model for other mayors across the US who have been trying to push through similar measures for years.

Philly is poised to be the first major city with a soda tax — by focusing on money, not obesity - Vox

They might as well introduce a head tax. That would actually be preferable as it would not discourage drinking in hot weather, which is really very unhealthy.

apple juice has more sugar

no it doesn't actually, and it's not the same anyway.

I guess there are folks who you you could fool into thinking soda is just as good for you as fruit juice.

I drink pop once a year, by choice. Higher taxes make no or little difference and wouldn't persuade me to drink less.
This tax will, once again, hit the poor more than those who can afford to spend a bit more. Will it lessen the consumption? I doubt it.

it worked for tobacco.

I guess there are folks who you you could fool into thinking soda is just as good for you as fruit juice.

why do you care anyway isnt soda vegan?

jack lalane said "If man makes it, don't eat it"

he died at 96, while the oldest person who ever lived Jeanne Calment smoked and drank wine every day and ate chocolate by the pound until she was forced to stop at the age of 119, she died 3 years later

he died at 96, while the oldest person who ever lived Jeanne Calment smoked and drank wine every day and ate chocolate by the pound until she was forced to stop at the age of 119, she died 3 years later

right. taking care of yourself is silly.

The nutritional value of 100% fruit juice is actually extremely low. This happens because when you process the fruit juice, you remove the fiber and other nutritious parts of the fruit and just get the sugary juice. Too much of any sugar is bad. Including fruit sugars. Eating whole fruit is much healthier than drinking soda, but fruit juice is basically "feel good" soda.

The nutritional value of 100% fruit juice is actually extremely low. This happens because when you process the fruit juice, you remove the fiber and other nutritious parts of the fruit and just get the sugary juice. Too much of any sugar is bad. Including fruit sugars. Eating whole fruit is much healthier than drinking soda, but fruit juice is basically "feel good" soda.

you still get vitamins however.

Extremely minimal amounts, the amount of sugar outweights those benefits.

But soda contains none, so to call juice the same as soda is not correct. in fact one serving of orange juice contains over half of your daily reccommended intake of vitmanin C.

ever hear of scurvy? no bueno

Back
Top Bottom