• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Philly is poised to be the first major city with a soda tax

That is not the point, the point is that the government needs money, and the economy is in a several generation decline so the taxing power suffers.

my point is the reason the city needs money looks to be in large part because its driving out the people who have money.
per the census the growth of the city has been slowing for at least 6 years and any any small growth they do have is immigrants.

do you drink that swill?

Oh, yes, and enthusiastically. There is always Coke in my fridge. I am so happy to be a grownup and make my own rules and choices!

Poisoned? Really?

Liberal hyperbole 9.1/10
It's pointless he won't stray from the idea that any sort of scientific improvement is poison.

If people like him had their way we'd be in famine with depleted water and soils

Taxes also help shift social norms, said Sturm. Consider tobacco: Increasing the price of cigarettes through taxation was one of the biggest contributors to driving down the smoking rates. "Smoking rates didn't drop immediately, and taxation had a small effect on consumption immediately," he said.

But eventually the taxes had an effect, "and with fewer people smoking ... it becomes less acceptable to smoke, so it was a feedback loop." He said the same could happen with soda consumption.

-from the article

Oh, yes, and enthusiastically. There is always Coke in my fridge. I am so happy to be a grownup and make my own rules and choices!

Until militant vegans with assault rifles jam their jack boot through your door to take it away

Taxes also help shift social norms, said Sturm. Consider tobacco: Increasing the price of cigarettes through taxation was one of the biggest contributors to driving down the smoking rates. "Smoking rates didn't drop immediately, and taxation had a small effect on consumption immediately," he said.

But eventually the taxes had an effect, "and with fewer people smoking ... it becomes less acceptable to smoke, so it was a feedback loop." He said the same could happen with soda consumption.

-from the article

The problem is, it only works in major cities that really just want money.

Washington tried assessing taxes on candy soda and bottled water years ago, we took to state wide referendum where these taxes were soundly trounced at the ballot. They can only get away with it here because PA has no process for referendum

-from the article

So when the government cant get the diet behaviour they want out of the citizens from arguing the point they are free to use force?

NO, the result from that abuse is rebellion in the form of Trump/Sanders, because that is not the government's job.

Government needs to stay in its lane.

Seriously.

Last edited:
So when the government cant get the diet behaviour they want out of the citizens from arguing the point they are free to use force?

NO, the result is rebellion in the form of Trump/Sanders, because that is not the government's job.

making people smoke less is tyranny.

the poor are the people most susceptible to being poisoned by the food processing industry.

there not being tricked though are they? Frankly, i would prefer outlawing soda before these increased excise taxes. Do you think wealthy people will even blink at these taxes?

Taxes imposed on manufacturers are paid by consumers, of course. Every corporate tax shows up on a price tag.

possibly but not always, most of the time it comes out stock bonuses

there not being tricked though are they? Frankly, i would prefer outlawing soda before these increased excise taxes. Do you think wealthy people will even blink at these taxes?

most rich people are smart enough not to drink tons of cheap soda.

You are catching on.....

if you take govt benefits instead of starving to death, then you're a slave. without the freedom to die in the gutter, you aren't truly free.
vote trump.

possibly but not always, most of the time it comes out stock bonuses

Right. The CEO and Board of Directors takes the tax hit. And shares it with the stockholders. Happens all the time.

most rich people are smart enough not to drink tons of cheap soda.

Most rich people are idiots who were born into rich families. Well, half of them are idiots. But most of them hit the lottery before they were born.

Right. The CEO and Board of Directors takes the tax hit. And shares it with the stockholders. Happens all the time.

sure lets go deeper, how will this effect sugar plantations? the USA spends billions subsidizing the sugar industry, maybe they will have to increase their subsidies now thats these taxes are in place. They would certainly have a good argument for doing so

Most rich people are idiots who were born into rich families. Well, half of them are idiots. But most of them hit the lottery before they were born.

Leave Donald Trump OUT of this, please.

NO, the result from that abuse is rebellion in the form of Trump/Sanders, because that is not the government's job.

Government needs to stay in its lane.

Seriously.

Taxation isn't force. It might be coercion, though.

sure lets go deeper, how will this effect sugar plantations? the USA spends billions subsidizing the sugar industry, maybe they will have to increase their subsidies now thats these taxes are in place. They would certainly have a good argument for doing so

I guess you don't realize they use high fructose corn syrup. whoops.

I guess you don't realize they use high fructose corn syrup. whoops.

right... but if I say corn farms people might ask what corn has to do with soda, and people that already know about the subject dont need it explained, also sugar cane plantations still produce a lot of sugar

Until militant vegans with assault rifles jam their jack boot through your door to take it away

Well, they'll have to wrest that Coke out of my cold, dead hands.

right... but if I say corn farms people might ask what corn has to do with soda, and people that already know about the subject dont need it explained, also sugar cane plantations still produce a lot of sugar

so naturally we must consume it. because it's there and people want us to.

not true at all. an idiot cannot be rich, they'll blow the money in years at the longest. you can never make enough money to make up for low intelligence.

not true at all. an idiot cannot be rich, they'll blow the money in years at the longest. you can never make enough money to make up for low intelligence.

wishful thinking and envy on your part.

Back
Top Bottom