• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte tells people to 'go ahead and kill' drug addict

Excon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte tells people to 'go ahead and kill' drug addicts

The strongman president of the Philippines has told people to “go ahead and kill” drug addicts.

Former lawyer Rodrigo Duterte was only sworn in at the end of June but has already incited the killing of large numbers of criminals, in particular drug traffickers.

The controversial figure is known for his hardline stance on crime, with his favoured position to simply kill people he regards as lawbreakers. During his time as mayor of Davao city, once crime ridden but now peaceful, he gained a reputation for being involved in extra-judicial killings.

It appears his presidency could be marked by the same trait. Just after his inauguration, he told an audience in a Manila slum: “If you know of any addicts, go ahead and kill them yourself as getting their parents to do it would be too painful.”

Drug dealers are also in Mr Duterte’s sights. In a separate engagement, he said: “These sons of whores are destroying our children. I warn you, don’t go into that, even if you’re a policeman, because I will really kill you.”

Hundreds of drug addicts and pushers have recently surrendered to authorities, concerned they would be killed in an imminent crackdown, officials have told the media.

[...]

Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte tells people to 'go ahead and kill' drug addicts

Note: The word "whores" appeared as "w****s" in the article. Changed to the uncensored version in case the forum software needed to asterisk it out.

I wonder if this is going to work for them?
The people elected him knowing his stance.
Will the UN interfere?

Last edited:
Re: Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte tells people to 'go ahead and kill' drug ad

The strongman president of the Philippines has told people to “go ahead and kill” drug addicts.

Former lawyer Rodrigo Duterte was only sworn in at the end of June but has already incited the killing of large numbers of criminals, in particular drug traffickers.

The controversial figure is known for his hardline stance on crime, with his favoured position to simply kill people he regards as lawbreakers. During his time as mayor of Davao city, once crime ridden but now peaceful, he gained a reputation for being involved in extra-judicial killings.

It appears his presidency could be marked by the same trait. Just after his inauguration, he told an audience in a Manila slum: “If you know of any addicts, go ahead and kill them yourself as getting their parents to do it would be too painful.”

Drug dealers are also in Mr Duterte’s sights. In a separate engagement, he said: “These sons of whores are destroying our children. I warn you, don’t go into that, even if you’re a policeman, because I will really kill you.”

Hundreds of drug addicts and pushers have recently surrendered to authorities, concerned they would be killed in an imminent crackdown, officials have told the media.

[...]

Note: The word "whores" appeared as "w****s" in the article. Changed to the uncensored version in case the forum software needed to asterisk it out.

I wonder if this is going to work for them?
The people elected him knowing his stance.
Will the UN interfere?

They be a sovereign nation last I checked. They can do as they please. Considering he is the duly elected leader of their country and I am aware of no hanky panky in the election results, this seems to be how the Filipinos want thing. I would suggest drug users and drug dealers leave while they still can.

Re: Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte tells people to 'go ahead and kill' drug ad

They be a sovereign nation last I checked.
And?
You don't think extra-judicial killings are a human rights issue? (Hence my "UN" comment.)

... this seems to be how the Filipinos want thing.
As already recognized.

I would suggest drug users and drug dealers leave while they still can.
I would suggest they stay where they are instead of bringing their problems to other nations.

They be a sovereign nation last I checked.

But apparently not a civilized one with respect for the law and the judicial process.

Trump has finally found his VP.

And?
You don't think extra-judicial killings are a human rights issue? (Hence my "UN" comment.)

As already recognized.

I would suggest they stay where they are instead of bringing their problems to other nations.

Human rights? What rights?

But apparently not a civilized one with respect for the law and the judicial process.

Civilized yes. As far as the judicial process and the law, it their deal to do as they see fit. Apparently they are getting rid of the drug users and dealers. Not my problem.

Civilized yes. As far as the judicial process and the law, it their deal to do as they see fit. Apparently they are getting rid of the drug users and dealers. Not my problem.

So should the US start executing people for drug use? Maybe drinking on Sunday?

The rule of law is what defines a civilized nation, and the Philippines now lacks it.

Trump has finally found his VP.
Stop trying to derail the topic.

<snip>​
Here is supposedly how drug-dealing was traditionally handled by this guy and & his cohorts in his Southern Island City (Davao, Mindnao) before he became president, as recounted to me by a Philippine national that lived in this area at one time:

A list is generated by the authorities and the administration from time-to-time, listing in numerical order and by name the drug dealers in the city, with the list posted in public places for all to see, and subsequently covered by the media.

Then every few days or so a body of one of the guys on the list, starting at the very top of the list, begin turning-up floating dead in the river. This generally happens three or four times over a period of several weeks, and is reported lavishly in the press and by word-of-mouth.

After the third or fourth guy is gone, it's usually found that most of the guys on the list have fled the area. In due time when things deteriorate again, another list is published.

* Heard second-hand here is the states, and I make no claims to accuracy except to say my source is usually pretty reliable and not prone to exaggeration.

This individual claims it's a very effective technique, and they support it.​

So should the US start executing people for drug use? Maybe drinking on Sunday?

The US isn't the Philippines. I don't care what they do to their people. Here in the US that's an entirely different matter, as it involves me. To answer your question directly, it takes but one word, no.

That's between the Filipinos and the UN, why should I care or anybody else for that matter.

No, that is between the Philippines, the UN and the other Nations that have agreed to it.
Which is why your reply is nothing but a deflection.

Again.

You don't think extra-judicial killings are a human rights issue?

Here is supposedly how drug-dealing was traditionally handled by this guy and & his cohorts in his Southern Island City (Davao, Mindnao) before he became president, as recounted to me by a Philippine national that lived in this area at one time:

A list is generated by the authorities and the administration from time-to-time, listing in numerical order and by name the drug dealers in the city, with the list posted in public places for all to see, and subsequently covered by the media.

Then every few days or so a body of one of the guys on the list, starting at the very top of the list, begin turning-up floating dead in the river. This generally happens three or four times over a period of several weeks, and is reported lavishly in the press and by word-of-mouth.

After the third or fourth guy is gone, it's usually found that most of the guys on the list have fled the area. In due time when things deteriorate again, another list is published.

* Heard second-hand here is the states, and I make no claims to accuracy except to say my source is usually pretty reliable and not prone to exaggeration.

This individual claims it's a very effective technique, and they support it.
Yes, I know.

The rule of law is what defines a civilized nation, and the Philippines now lacks it.

I don't know what there law is there. I do know they despise drug dealers in Singapore and I believe the punishment there is quite harsh for said crime, death I think, I don't know for sure. So perhaps the Philippian law is the same, or not. Maybe they are going to change the law to reflect their new attitude toward drug users and dealers. Don't know, don't care. Their country, they can run it as they please.

The US isn't the Philippines. I don't care what they do to their people. Here in the US that's an entirely different matter, as it involves me. To answer your question directly, it takes but one word, no.

So you don't think if a country treats its people horribly we should care?

No, that is between the Philippines, the UN and the other Nations that have agreed to it.
Which is why your reply is nothing but a deflection.

Again.

You don't think extra-judicial killings are a human rights issue?

To answer the last question. Nope. Their way their problem. Its between them and the UN should the UN get involved. Its a waste of time to get involved IMO.

So you don't think if a country treats its people horribly we should care?

Nope.

To answer the last question. Nope. Their way their problem. Its between them and the UN should the UN get involved. Its a waste of time to get involved IMO.
Ok. Fair enough.

Don't be surprised if some other nation gets involved.
Unlike Singapore, this is extra-Judicial killing.

So say you were alive back in the 1930s. Would you have supported going to war with Nazi Germany? And not just over their treatment of their people, but all the other factors that played into the DOW

I don't know what there law is there. I do know they despise drug dealers in Singapore and I believe the punishment there is quite harsh for said crime, death I think, I don't know for sure. So perhaps the Philippian law is the same, or not. Maybe they are going to change the law to reflect their new attitude toward drug users and dealers. Don't know, don't care. Their country, they can run it as they please.

Well I can you tell you one thing, murder is illegal. In Singapore they must stand trail at the very least, but what the Philippines is doing is promoting murder.

Well I can you tell you one thing, murder is illegal. In Singapore they must stand trail at the very least, but what the Philippines is doing is promoting murder.

... So?

Ok. Fair enough.

Don't be surprised if some other nation gets involved.
Unlike Singapore, this is extra-Judicial killing.

Maybe if the UN gets involved they will change their laws and make it legal to wack drug dealers and users.

Back
Top Bottom