• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte tells people to 'go ahead and kill' drug addict

Re: Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte tells people to 'go ahead and kill' drug ad

They are violating people's rights. The Philippines needs to be punished, sanctions, stoppage of foreign aid, etc. if they are goign start promoting the murder of its own people.

Re: Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte tells people to 'go ahead and kill' drug ad

Maybe if the UN gets involved they will change their laws and make it legal to wack drug dealers and users.

Wishful thinking.

They should withdraw their signature and then provide for trials "in absentia" with a guilty verdict resulting in an immediate sentence of death.

So say you were alive back in the 1930s. Would you have supported going to war with Nazi Germany? And not just over their treatment of their people, but all the other factors that played into the DOW

Nope. I would not have supported the war with Germany, until they declared war on us. Then it be on like Donkey Kong. Which is kind of how it happened.

Ahhhh. No.

Wishful thinking.

I suppose. Dead is dead, whether legal or not. I suspect the resident drug dealers and users are planning their extended trips out of country as we write. If the Philippians wanted to reduce their drug problem, they have found a very effective way to do so. Kind of hard to sell drugs if your customers end up dead, and your on a wanted dead list.

You know, it's all a matter of degree - there's many peer nations of ours (U.S.) that believe capital punishment is murderous, so much so that they refuse to extradite individuals liable to be prosecuted to the death sentence. American murders have been high-tailing it to Paris for ages! And we only get them back if we take the death penalty of the table.

You know, it's all a matter of degree - there's many peer nations of ours (U.S.) that believe capital punishment is murderous, so much so that they refuse to extradite individuals liable to be prosecuted to the death sentence. American murders have been high-tailing it to Paris for ages! And we only get them back if we take the death penalty of the table.

Yes. And just to make the point again, the death sentence is not "extra-judicial" killings.

Yes. And just to make the point again, the death sentence is not "extra-judicial" killings.
Yes - but just because a ruling comes from a bench somewhere, doesn't necessarily make it right either.

For instance: I find some of the Sharia court rulings questionable, and like many other citizens of developed nations I'm against the death penalty.

Yes - but just because a ruling comes from a bench somewhere, doesn't necessarily make it right either.

For instance: I find some of the Sharia court rulings questionable, and like many other citizens of developed nations I'm against the death penalty.

That is all fine and dandy. No one said you had to like either of them.
But there is a difference between "extra-judicial" and lawful killings.
One is/and has the appearance of legality while the other does not.

Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte tells people to 'go ahead and kill' drug addicts

The strongman president of the Philippines has told people to “go ahead and kill” drug addicts.

Former lawyer Rodrigo Duterte was only sworn in at the end of June but has already incited the killing of large numbers of criminals, in particular drug traffickers.

The controversial figure is known for his hardline stance on crime, with his favoured position to simply kill people he regards as lawbreakers. During his time as mayor of Davao city, once crime ridden but now peaceful, he gained a reputation for being involved in extra-judicial killings.

It appears his presidency could be marked by the same trait. Just after his inauguration, he told an audience in a Manila slum: “If you know of any addicts, go ahead and kill them yourself as getting their parents to do it would be too painful.”

Drug dealers are also in Mr Duterte’s sights. In a separate engagement, he said: “These sons of whores are destroying our children. I warn you, don’t go into that, even if you’re a policeman, because I will really kill you.”

Hundreds of drug addicts and pushers have recently surrendered to authorities, concerned they would be killed in an imminent crackdown, officials have told the media.

[...]

Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte tells people to 'go ahead and kill' drug addicts

Note: The word "whores" appeared as "w****s" in the article. Changed to the uncensored version in case the forum software needed to asterisk it out.

I wonder if this is going to work for them?
The people elected him knowing his stance.
Will the UN interfere?

If the UN doesn't interfere in Syria, why should it in this case?

These things are odd. Take your example and set it against the backdrop of allowing thousands that could easily be saved to drown off their coasts. Yep, we are an odd species in moral matters.

If the UN doesn't interfere in Syria, why should it in this case?
Did I say they would, or did I ask if they would?

Did I say they would, or did I ask if they would?

Fair point.

Fair point.
I was just trying to spur conversation with the question. :shrug:

I was just trying to spur conversation with the question. :shrug:

To the original question, Will it work? Answer:YES

To the second question, Will the UN get involved? Answer:Not just no, but heck no.

I saw a three-months old crack baby once. If he kills them all, it won't happen too soon for me.

That is all fine and dandy. No one said you had to like either of them.
But there is a difference between "extra-judicial" and lawful killings.
One is/and has the appearance of legality while the other does not.
Point agreed upon. :thumbs:

To the original question, Will it work? Answer:YES

To the second question, Will the UN get involved? Answer:Not just no, but heck no.

I saw a three-months old crack baby once. If he kills them all, it won't happen too soon for me.
Thank you for your reply.

Thank you for your reply.

The pleasure was all mine, I'm sure.

Here is supposedly how drug-dealing was traditionally handled by this guy and & his cohorts in his Southern Island City (Davao, Mindnao) before he became president, as recounted to me by a Philippine national that lived in this area at one time:

A list is generated by the authorities and the administration from time-to-time, listing in numerical order and by name the drug dealers in the city, with the list posted in public places for all to see, and subsequently covered by the media.

Then every few days or so a body of one of the guys on the list, starting at the very top of the list, begin turning-up floating dead in the river. This generally happens three or four times over a period of several weeks, and is reported lavishly in the press and by word-of-mouth.

After the third or fourth guy is gone, it's usually found that most of the guys on the list have fled the area. In due time when things deteriorate again, another list is published.

* Heard second-hand here is the states, and I make no claims to accuracy except to say my source is usually pretty reliable and not prone to exaggeration.

This individual claims it's a very effective technique, and they support it.

The voters of that country have a very low grade education and they are easily swayed by sensational news, thats why they voted for him. If the country gets hit by sanctions and is condemned while becoming another dictatorship, then they deserve what they are getting.

The voters of that country have a very low grade education and they are easily swayed by sensational news, thats why they voted for him. If the country gets hit by sanctions and is condemned while becoming another dictatorship, then they deserve what they are getting.

Are you Philippino?

But apparently not a civilized one with respect for the law and the judicial process.

They have large busses over there, called Rabbits. The road laws are "Bigger have the right of way" so a Rabbit can run you off the road, kill you, and your family will pay for the damage to the bus if any occurred (or whatever you hit being run off the road)

Are you Philippino?

Nope. My son is half though.

But jeepneys are more fun to ride in. :)

Same rule in Korea. The bigger the vehicle, the more right of way it has.
Seen a few bikes go flying off into a rice patty over the right of way issue.

Don't know if it is true, but was told while there that if your child is playing in the road, you are responsible for any accident caused by them, even if they are killed.

They were prettier that's for darned sure.

Yes - much of the decline accelerated with the Fernando Marcos regime IMO, and through corruption has caused the Philippines to be left out of much of the global economy. It's hard to attract outside finance & investment with high corruption and a lack of transparency and judicial remedy!

I swear, the Philippines makes Chicago look legit!

Send a balikbayan box from the states around Christmas time, and watch if it makes it intact to its recipients! :doh

Nope. My son is half though.

Does he still have enough connection to his homeland to have an opinion on the runaway drug culture in the islands?

Back
Top Bottom