• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Philippe Becomes King of Belgium.....

Flemings actually speak Dutch, not Flemish.

Yes, I'm aware that Flemish basically speak Dutch ... I just chose the word "Flemish", because I remember bad reactions from Flemish Belgians when you told them they speak "Dutch", and likewise know of many Dutch people who say "Flemish is a very gay sounding Dutch dialect, but not Dutch". ;)

The only solution is simple: dissolve this unhappy marriage and dysfunctional state.

How should that be done, and what kind of alternative do you envision? Two independent states, an independent Flemish and a "rest-Belgium"? The Flemish joining the Netherlands?

How should that be done, and what kind of alternative do you envision? Two independent states, an independent Flemish and a "rest-Belgium"? The Flemish joining the Netherlands?

To be seen of course. There are many possibilities.

Flanders could become independent or (which is my personal preference) form a sort of confederal union with the Netherlands (a real Union of the Netherlands and Flanders is unlikely at first for various practical reasons).
If and when the country splits the German-speaking area and the Walloon province of Luxemburg will undoubtedly want to be annexed by the Grandduchy of Luxemburg. The last thing they would want would be to be in a Walloon state.
As for the rest of Wallonia, it is not really viable as an independent country and probably could join France.
Brussels, finally, isn't really viable either.

Back
Top Bottom