• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Philando Castile narrative already starting to fall apart

So shooting him was an honest mistake??? Again, there is only one valid reason to take a person's life during a traffic stop, and that's if he posed a threat to the officer or not. A case of mistaken identity is not an excuse.

I think the standard is whether or not a reasonable officer would have THOUGHT there was a threat.

You just ignored it because it gets in the way of your narrative.

Ignored it how? The supposed threat involved not having a license. Could it be not having a license for a gun?

I didn't say it did. I only said that the existence of a gun shows that there was a legitimate threat.

There is a gun in my house. That doesn't mean there is a legitimate threat or any threat at all inside my house. If I carry my gun in my car, that doesn't mean there is a legitimate threat either. A cop carryings a gun every single day. A cop should know a gun itself is not a threat.

Not according to every single source I've seen. Or are they wrong because they make you unhappy?

Every single source is not reporting those "facts."

As to the gun permit, some on the Internet had used a recent Tweet by the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Department as evidence that Castile did not have a gun permit. In that Tweet, Ramsey County says Castile did not apply for a permit through that county, which is the location of Minneapolis/St. Paul.

However, The Star-Tribune quotes the source as saying that Castile obtained the permit when he lived in Robbinsdale, Minnesota, which is in Hennepin County.

Did Philando Castile Have a Valid Permit to Carry a Gun? | Heavy.com

Every single source is not reporting those "facts."

As to the gun permit, some on the Internet had used a recent Tweet by the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Department as evidence that Castile did not have a gun permit. In that Tweet, Ramsey County says Castile did not apply for a permit through that county, which is the location of Minneapolis/St. Paul.

However, The Star-Tribune quotes the source as saying that Castile obtained the permit when he lived in Robbinsdale, Minnesota, which is in Hennepin County.

Did Philando Castile Have a Valid Permit to Carry a Gun? | Heavy.com

Correct.

In Minnesota, Permit to Carry is typically issued through the County Sheriff's office. If Castile obtained his permit while a resident of Robbinsdale (west - Minneapolis - side of the river therefore Hennepin County) then Ramsey County (east - St Paul - side of the river) would be correct in stating they did not issue the permit. So Ramsey County stating they did not issue the permit does not mean he did not have a permit. It means what it says, Ramsey County didn't issue it.

Ignored it how? The supposed threat involved not having a license. Could it be not having a license for a gun?

NO. The threat involved a gun. Not a license.

There is a gun in my house. That doesn't mean there is a legitimate threat or any threat at all inside my house. If I carry my gun in my car, that doesn't mean there is a legitimate threat either. A cop carryings a gun every single day. A cop should know a gun itself is not a threat.

Look. I'm not going to go around and around with you on this. You agreed the shooting was justified if there was a threat to the officers life. We don't know the facts of exactly what happened, but something (some perceived threat) caused the officer to first draw his gun then later fire it. And we can sort of guess what that officer felt threatened by--a gun in the possession of the man who got shot. Whether that level of fear was justified or not, we have no way of knowing.

No doubt, if any threat existed, which we have heard no evidence of.

Obviously the cop felt threatened or he wouldn't have pulled his gun and shot the guy. Unless of course you just ascribe to the theory that this was just another racist cop out shooting black men for sport.

Obviously the cop felt threatened or he wouldn't have pulled his gun and shot the guy. Unless of course you just ascribe to the theory that this was just another racist cop out shooting black men for sport.

The question is whether the cop had a reason other than blind fear to feel threatened. From his panicked screeching on the video he wasn't out for sport.

The question is whether the cop had a reason other than blind fear to feel threatened. From his panicked screeching on the video he wasn't out for sport.

Here is the truth--you don't know what the hell you are talking about. The guy in the car had a gun in his lap and you have no idea what he said or did to threaten the cop. The only basis you have for your 'blind fear' comment is your own ignorance. HOw about you wait for a few facts to come out before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

Here is the truth--you don't know what the hell you are talking about. The guy in the car had a gun in his lap and you have no idea what he said or did to threaten the cop. The only basis you have for your 'blind fear' comment is your own ignorance. HOw about you wait for a few facts to come out before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

The truth? It interests you less than your biases, judging from your comments. But here are two facts to brighten your morning.

1. Castile had a permit for his gun, issued by Hennepin County.

2. The gun was not in his lap. It was not out in the open. The policeman knew of the gun only because Castile acknowledged he was carrying one pursuant to his permit.

I think the standard is whether or not a reasonable officer would have THOUGHT there was a threat.

If and when a cop camera video comes out, we will all get to see if Mr. Castile was complying with the officer.

Everyone is jumping to conclusions, and I did also initially.

I hope the officer did give Mr. Castile a chance to place his hands on the wheel, or dashboard, or wherever.

If not, it's "Katie Bar The Door"

If and when a cop camera video comes out, we will all get to see if Mr. Castile was complying with the officer.

Everyone is jumping to conclusions, and I did also initially.

I hope the officer did give Mr. Castile a chance to place his hands on the wheel, or dashboard, or wherever.

If not, it's "Katie Bar The Door"

I agree. Katie may have to get busy. ;)

Really, that cop sounded scared to death. And devastated. Unless we believe he's a psychopathic cold blooded murderer, which I don't, there is more to this story. The "more" (with this and other incidents) may be a fear of black males. "Wary" might make sense...especially in a traffic stop where the officer thinks he resembles an armed robber. But outright fear is very difficult to understand. And impossible to justify.

Unless the guy WAS the robber. I still contend his girlfriend's affectation was completely wrong. Makes me wonder why. No adrenalin...her boyfriend is dying beside her...her four-year-old in the backseat. Not a word to her. Very peculiar.

I agree. Katie may have to get busy. ;)

Really, that cop sounded scared to death. And devastated. Unless we believe he's a psychopathic cold blooded murderer, which I don't, there is more to this story. The "more" (with this and other incidents) may be a fear of black males. "Wary" might make sense...especially in a traffic stop where the officer thinks he resembles an armed robber. But outright fear is very difficult to understand. And impossible to justify.

Unless the guy WAS the robber. I still contend his girlfriend's affectation was completely wrong. Makes me wonder why. No adrenalin...her boyfriend is dying beside her...her four-year-old in the backseat. Not a word to her. Very peculiar.

The girlfriend's affectation wasn't wrong. It was brave. The officer had just shot her boyfriend for no reason in her mind, during a routine traffic stop, and he was now screaming like a lunatic. She called him, "Sir", calmly and repeatedly. It seems to me and to others who have seen that remarkable video that she was fearful but keeping herself under control for what she perceived to be her own protection and the safety of her child.

Last edited:
The girlfriend's affectation wasn't wrong. It was brave. The officer had just shot her boyfriend for no reason in her mind and he was now screaming like a lunatic. She called him, "Sir", calmly and repeatedly. It seems to me and to others who have seen that remarkable video that she was fearful but keeping herself under control for what she perceived to be her own protection and the safety of her child.

Well, what a surprise. We disagree. Her affectation belied the circumstances. She didn't appear brave to me. She appeared to be on Xanax. Sorry, but disagreement is part of the DP game.

He was alive. She made no attempt to comfort him or staunch the bleeding. You don't find that odd? As a woman with a loving partner, I can tell you I would have shown more concern for my dog.

The truth? It interests you less than your biases, judging from your comments. But here are two facts to brighten your morning.

2. The gun was not in his lap. It was not out in the open. The policeman knew of the gun only because Castile acknowledged he was carrying one pursuant to his permit.

Link?

I agree with your #1. You have no justification for belief in #2. If he had a CCW, it would be perfectly legal for him to have a gun in his lap in his car. Not smart, but, at least in Illinois, it would be legal.

If you guys employed your minds instead of the junk in your heads you might have a sensible discussion.

When are you going to practice what you preach? I'm curious?

I agree with your #1. You have no justification for belief in #2. If he had a CCW, it would be perfectly legal for him to have a gun in his lap in his car. Not smart, but, at least in Illinois, it would be legal.

My belief, such as it is, in 2, is based on news stories that the sequence of events was as follows: after the officer reached the car and the window was down, he asked Castile to produce his license and registration. Castile then told the officer he was carrying a concealed weapon. The girl friend then told the officer Castile had a permit. Castile then reached for his wallet in his back pocket.
The officer then shot Castile four times. I agree this sequence, if true, doesn't prove the gun wasn't lying in plain view in Castile's lap, but it is more suggestive that the gun in fact was concealed and the officer misconstrued Castile going for his wallet as going for the gun.

My belief, such as it is, in 2, is based on news stories that the sequence of events was as follows: after the officer reached the car and the window was down, he asked Castile to produce his license and registration. Castile then told the officer he was carrying a concealed weapon. The girl friend then told the officer Castile had a permit. Castile then reached for his wallet in his back pocket.
The officer then shot Castile four times. I agree this sequence, if true, doesn't prove the gun wasn't lying in plain view in Castile's lap, but it is more suggestive that the gun in fact was concealed and the officer misconstrued Castile going for his wallet as going for the gun.

Okay, I understand. Of course, we haven't heard from the officer yet except at the time when he hysterically stated that he told him not to move. And hysterically is how I would describe the voice I heard.

I have two friends who were out on a date, since married, left a tavern and sat in the car making out a while. Unbeknownst to them, an armed robber entered the bar just after they left. After the robber took off, police were called. My friends found themselves staring down the barrels of two revolvers as the cop team confronted them in their car.

They were terrified as the cops screamed at them to NOT MOVE. Kept repeating it. And my friends knew the cops were almost as frightened as they were . . . Afraid they would move and knowing they would shoot if they did.

It all worked out but it was a powerful lesson to all of us who heard the story that when an armed cop tells you not to move, you'd better not.

Yes...because doing drugs and matching the description of a suspect is license for a police officer to use lethal force on a compliant black man.

Anything to distract from the real problems that are going on, eh?

I could say the same thing of BLM. Anything to distract from real problems going on, like the culture of violent crime by blacks in urban areas. No, lets make it all about a few questionable shootings by law enforcement. Lets make it all about white racism. Anything to distract from real problems.

Because a mexican cop shoots a black man, it must be white racist cops.

Back
Top Bottom