• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Philando Castile’s Killing

jet57

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
So I saw the video again on the news this morning and I had been thinking about something that looked a bit funny: has anybody else noticed that the video was reversed?... In the short scenes it looks as though Castile is sitting in the passenger side, which was my first impression; probably by intentional design. But when I saw it this morning it occurred to me that - he was either driving a British car, not very likely, OR the video was reversed. And other releases show that he was driving on the left side.

Moreover, the cop who shot him wasn't white but a Latin officer named Jeronimo Yanez... Has anybody else noticed the oddity of the video? And since the shooter was not white at all, then this add a little different angel to whole thing: a person of color shot by a person of color...

My senses tell me that something's up with this story. The girlfriend was just too calm and almost..? knew what to say.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/08/us/philando-castile-falcon-heights-shooting.html?_r=0

Late Thursday night, Minnesota authorities identified the officer who fired as Jeronimo Yanez.
The video, some versions of which were reversed, making it appear that Mr. Castile was in the passenger seat, begins with images of Mr. Castile, who appears to be moaning and moving slightly, his left arm and left side bloody. Ms. Reynolds, who uses the name Lavish Reynolds on Facebook, then pans the camera to her face and says matter-of-factly, “They killed my boyfriend.” In the background, one of the officers can be heard shouting: “I told him not to reach for it. I told him to get his hands up.”

In the end of course this is just an example of why people should not carry guns. But me thinks somethin funny's goin on.

The problem isn't possible white brutality. It is possible police brutality.

So I saw the video again on the news this morning and I had been thinking about something that looked a bit funny: has anybody else noticed that the video was reversed?... In the short scenes it looks as though Castile is sitting in the passenger side, which was my first impression; probably by intentional design. But when I saw it this morning it occurred to me that - he was either driving a British car, not very likely, OR the video was reversed. And other releases show that he was driving on the left side.

Moreover, the cop who shot him wasn't white but a Latin officer named Jeronimo Yanez... Has anybody else noticed the oddity of the video? And since the shooter was not white at all, then this add a little different angel to whole thing: a person of color shot by a person of color...

My senses tell me that something's up with this story. The girlfriend was just too calm and almost..? knew what to say.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/08/us/philando-castile-falcon-heights-shooting.html?_r=0

In the end of course this is just an example of why people should not carry guns. But me thinks somethin funny's goin on.

The entire video was odd and looked staged. The girl friend was way to calm. The whole thing is fishy and may be partially orchestrated to garner BLM support.
The Gov. is a total Democrat asshole and obozo needs to STFU

People should carry guns, always...just not scumbags! Good folks packin is a hedge against bad folks packin!

Oh I know, but it's interesting that this video is held up as a racial incident.

Or.....Not!

I'm thinking the cop reacted properly and did his job correctly. Same for Baton Rouge.

There is a segment of agitators, nationwide, who are trying to start a race war. I saw it in the 60s and early 70s.

Many who think they have been wronged, haven't been ...........and they are pawns of the agitators.

Or.....Not!

I'm thinking the cop reacted properly and did his job correctly. Same for Baton Rouge.

Or not. I have no idea based on just the video I have seen.

Exactly. The video I saw was broadcast by two cable news stations, and seemed genuine to me. However, it doesn't start until after shots had been fired. Without seeing the cruiser's dash cam or other surveillance footage, it's impossible to ascertain what precipitated the event.

Both videos are inconclusive. and I agree with the OP...the one in Mn. looks reversed and orchestrated.

Exactly. The video I saw was broadcast by two cable news stations, and seemed genuine to me. However, it doesn't start until after shots had been fired. Without seeing the cruiser's dash cam or other surveillance footage, it's impossible to ascertain what precipitated the event.

Doesn't matter who broadcast it, they were taken by amateurs with cell phones.

Both videos are inconclusive. and I agree with the OP...the one in Mn. looks reversed and orchestrated.

Doesn't matter who broadcast it, they were taken by amateurs with cell phones.

I only saw one video of the Philando Castile killing, which was taken during the incident by his girlfriend. It clearly shows that she was in the passenger seat, Castile was bleeding in the driver's seat. Any police officer that fires into a vehicle at point-blank range with a 4-yr-old child in the back seat had better have some pretty solid evidence that the victim had a gun in his hand. So far, there has been no release of any evidence of that having happened.

I noticed the reversal when I first saw it. Also immediately thought Lavish's affectation was all wrong.

Last edited:
I noticed the reversal when I first saw it. Also immediately thought Lavish's affectation was all wrong. Have a look at GoFundMe.

https://www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?route=search&term=Castile&addterm=Philanderer Castile

Update 1: For anyone checking in, my name is Xavier Burgin (@XLNB via twitter). I've spoken up on police violence and the issues we face in the past, but this time, I want to try and use my platform to help in a tangible way as well.

OMG...it's pretty clear that there are some scam artists there. It looks like one scammer is getting more than the legit family members! I knew this would happen, I'm just saddened that it's taking place with such a tragedy. Kudos to that scammer for his entreprenurial spirit though.1

OMG...it's pretty clear that there are some scam artists there. It looks like one scammer is getting more than the legit family members! I knew this would happen, I'm just saddened that it's taking place with such a tragedy. Kudos to that scammer for his entreprenurial spirit though.

I'm going to delete that link. After I read it, I think it was extremely uncharitable for me to post it.

Exactly. Which is why I've declined to jump to any conclusions on the matter yet.

Unfortunately many millions of people who know no more than I do are quite certain they know exactly what went on. :roll:

You think it's a conspiracy?

This information is available if you do your research, but the bottom line is, Police state:

The vehicle was stopped because officers thought Castile fit the description for an Armed Robbery suspect.
Castile had a firearm and was told not to reach for it and to keep his hands visible.
Castile reached for something near his firearm and was shot.

The armed robbery thing is NOT something made up after the fact (I know someone is going to suggest it). There is audio recording from the dispatchers where the officer states his purpose for stopping this vehicle while stopping the vehicle and 1.5 minutes prior to calling in that shots had been fired at the stop.

So, there is alot more to the story (as there usually always is) than what the family member/loved ones are saying.

I am more inclined to believe the Police narrative than that of the family, because family members/loved ones of police shooting victims have a very very poor track record over the last several years. We always tend to find out that some of the information if not all of the information they give is false. OR, they make claims about what occurred while not actually having been on scene in the first place (obviously not the case with this one).

I only saw one video of the Philando Castile killing, which was taken during the incident by his girlfriend. It clearly shows that she was in the passenger seat, Castile was bleeding in the driver's seat. Any police officer that fires into a vehicle at point-blank range with a 4-yr-old child in the back seat had better have some pretty solid evidence that the victim had a gun in his hand. So far, there has been no release of any evidence of that having happened.

Agree on the welfare of the child, but that doesn't mean an officer should commit suicide either.

The video I saw, was screwed up and it was as described in the OP. I'm not a video expert so I can't explain that.

OMG...it's pretty clear that there are some scam artists there. It looks like one scammer is getting more than the legit family members! I knew this would happen, I'm just saddened that it's taking place with such a tragedy. Kudos to that scammer for his entreprenurial spirit though.1

I'm saddened by this whole thing as well. There are some great Black folks out there ......and some real turds.

I'm going to delete that link. After I read it, I think it was extremely uncharitable for me to post it.

I thought it was a good post.

I raised that possibility the other day over another incident. Think about it, if some group wants a race war, they will do their best to facilitate it....all the while putting blame on the wrong people or objects.

This information is available if you do your research, but the bottom line is, Police state:

The vehicle was stopped because officers thought Castile fit the description for an Armed Robbery suspect.
Castile had a firearm and was told not to reach for it and to keep his hands visible.
Castile reached for something near his firearm and was shot.

The armed robbery thing is NOT something made up after the fact (I know someone is going to suggest it). There is audio recording from the dispatchers where the officer states his purpose for stopping this vehicle while stopping the vehicle and 1.5 minutes prior to calling in that shots had been fired at the stop.

So, there is alot more to the story (as there usually always is) than what the family member/loved ones are saying.

I am more inclined to believe the Police narrative than that of the family, because family members/loved ones of police shooting victims have a very very poor track record over the last several years. We always tend to find out that some of the information if not all of the information they give is false. OR, they make claims about what occurred while not actually having been on scene in the first place (obviously not the case with this one).

Exactly, makes me think of the eye witness buddy of Michael Brown, who lied his ****ing ass off about the entire incident!

I noticed the reversal when I first saw it. Also immediately thought Lavish's affectation was all wrong.

Yeah, I'm glad you caught that too. There's just something - funny - about this thing.

Exactly. Which is why I've declined to jump to any conclusions on the matter yet.

Unfortunately many millions of people who know no more than I do are quite certain they know exactly what went on. :roll:

Do you think though that the reversal of the video raises a question?

Not necessarily. It just raises an eerie question about the the whole thing. I mean, why reverse the video? That orientation made it SEEM as though the victim was in passenger's seat at first glance, and because of people's instinct to track moving objects and stare at violent things, it set up a false impression.

The final investigation is going to be interesting. Something's funny about this thing.

Thanks for bringing these points up. I had wondered the same things, why was he being checked if he was in the right seat? It does seem odd.

Thanks for bringing these points up. I had wondered the same things, why was he being checked if he was in the right seat? It does seem odd.

The vehicle was stopped not for a tail light but because Castile looked like an armed robbery suspect from July 2. So of course they were going to check him.

The vehicle was stopped not for a tail light but because Castile looked like an armed robbery suspect from July 2. So of course they were going to check him.

No, the vehicle WAS stopped for a tail light: that was probable cause to pull him over.

Back
Top Bottom