• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Philadelphia will reinstate its indoor mask mandate as cases rise

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

(CNN)Philadelphia will reinstate its indoor mask mandate as of Monday, April 18, as cases in the city quickly rise, the city's Public Health Commissioner Dr. Cheryl Bettigole announced Monday.

--

Argh! Not again!

We can't seem to catch a break!

Require vaccinated and boosted status to work onsite.

Good for Philly, letting science and not the militant maskless guide mask policymaking. (y)

Yeah, but it's a sad reflection on the state of the pandemic.

I am so enjoying my freedom. I tossed my mask away, yesterday, for good! Well, I thought I did . . .

I was so enjoying my freedom. Well, at least I was.

It feels like it's coming in waves. The recent lull was nice.

Require vaccinated and boosted status to work onsite.

Meh. It's depressing.

Yesterday, for the first time in two years, I totally embraced tossing my mask. Bye, bye! Spent the day, all day, inside & out, everywhere, in total freedom. It was exhilarating. Then, this.

Mondays suck!

Meh. It's depressing.

Yesterday, for the first time in two years, I totally embraced tossing my mask. Bye, bye! Spent the day, all day, inside & out, everywhere, in total freedom. It was exhilarating. Then, this.

Mondays suck!
We've been mask free at work for a week or so. This has happened before, and then we're back to masks. I don't know how it will turn out this time.

I wish places where infections are rising would embrace a "vaccine passport" system. Just a simple plastic sleeve you could voluntary wear around your neck showing your vaccination status. Anyone who has one with an up to date card doesn't need to wear a mask. Those who don't have one or prefer not to disclose that information are required to wear a mask during periods of mask mandates. Not only would this not punish those who are actually doing their part to combat the pandemic because of the few bad apples, this would have the side effect of actually boosting vaccinations to some degree in people who really don't want to wear a mask, which would work to keep the numbers low. This should have been embraced from the get go. I firmly believe lives would have been saved.

It feels like it's coming in waves. The recent lull was nice.

I'm sure this will be a mild 'wave'.

But the irony is that yesterday I finally crossed the bridge of 'no masking anywhere'! It was a tough bridge to cross. It took me weeks to get there, watching my local numbers. I still was masking in large, crowded, indoor places, but was mask-less everywhere else. I wanted to be fully mask-less weeks ago, but my local numbers just seemed to stop decreasing, and plateaued at a level that was a bit higher than I was fully comfortable with.

Finally, yesterday, I decided the time had come, and I left the mask at home while I spent a busy and full Sunday mixing it up everywhere: Indoor & out, crowds or not, family, friends, business, and let me tell you this - I relished in the freedom! The feeling of 'normalcy' was glorious!

Now today, we have this news. And sure enough, I checked and my local numbers have been creeping-up the last week. We always seem to soon follow the East Coast, so the writing's on the wall.

Oy Vey!

We've been mask free at work for a week or so. This has happened before, and then we're back to masks. I don't know how it will turn out this time.

I'm predicting a mild, quick, wave.

Shorter duration than the 1st Omicron wave, with less hospitalizations and deaths,

But hey, I'm no Doc!

INB4 "sniffles," and "MaSkS dOn'T WeRk!".

I am so enjoying my freedom. I tossed my mask away, yesterday, for good! Well, I thought I did . . .
What kind of mask do you use that you managed to hang onto it for over two years? ;)

I wish places where infections are rising would embrace a "vaccine passport" system. Just a simple plastic sleeve you could voluntary wear around your neck showing your vaccination status. Anyone who has one with an up to date card doesn't need to wear a mask. Those who don't have one or prefer not to disclose that information are required to wear a mask during periods of mask mandates. Not only would this not punish those who are actually doing their part to combat the pandemic because of the few bad apples, this would have the side effect of actually boosting vaccinations to some degree in people who really don't want to wear a mask, which would work to keep the numbers low. This should have been embraced from the get go. I firmly believe lives would have been saved.

Thing is, for that you need a responsive data-driven government.

We've got places that will never instate mask mandates, even when they're dropping in the streets!

What kind of mask do you use that you managed to hang onto it for over two years? ;)

This one, below!

Pretty cool, huh? Lasts for years!

Everyone that saw me must have liked it, because they wouldn't stop staring! Some even stepped back, & away, in awe! (y)

ru12467.jpg

Meh. It's depressing.

Mondays suck!

I attended an opening air market at a local brewery.

It was wonderful to watch the kids play and the grownups interact freely if somewhat distanced between groups.

Loved just sitting there with good beer and semi-tolerable live music just taking in all I could see, feel and hear.

COVID had much the same effect as months in Somalia.

After Somalia a clean bed, a warm meal and clean water were cherished. After COVID just attending that little event was marvelous.

The little things became much more wonderful.

We need some suck to remind us how blessed we are at times.

I attended an opening air market at a local brewery.

It was wonderful to watch the kids play and the grownups interact freely if somewhat distanced between groups.

Loved just sitting there with good beer and semi-tolerable live music just taking in all I could see, feel and hear.

COVID had much the same effect as months in Somalia.

After Somalia a clean bed, a warm meal and clean water were cherished. After COVID just attending that little event was marvelous.

The little things became much more wonderful.

We need some suck to remind us how blessed we are at times.

You got the bolded right, my friend! Sad, but true.

Meh. It's depressing.

Mondays suck!
I'm lucky in that I work from home and share the house with one other person who does not work, so my interaction with anyone is quite limited.
I generally don't wear a mask except when I go to a store on the rare occasion I do.

I'm lucky in that I work from home and share the house with one other person who does not work, so my interaction with anyone is quite limited.
I generally don't wear a mask except when I go to a store on the rare occasion I do.

I've always been a sociable person, and actually enjoy crowds in leisure activity.

Yesterday, when tossing my mask for good (I thought), it was really glorious feeling. I realized how much I enjoyed hanging-out without mitigation, talking and laughing with others. Plus, it was a perfect day weather-wise. It was like the elation of the first nice day pre-lude of Summer (which it was), but on steroids!

Then this morning, came the realization that the mask will need to go back on in public indoor situations. Argh!

I've always been a sociable person, and actually enjoy crowds in leisure activity.

Yesterday, when tossing my mask for good (I thought), it was really glorious feeling. I realized how much I enjoyed hanging-out without mitigation, talking and laughing with others. Plus, it was a perfect day weather-wise. It was like the elation of the first nice day pre-lude of Summer (which it was), but on steroids!

Then this morning, came the realization that the mask will need to go back on in public indoor situations. Argh!
I should probably get a better-fitting mask, one of the reasons I avoid using it is the pressure it puts on my ears.

I should probably get a better-fitting mask, one of the reasons I avoid using it is the pressure it puts on my ears.

I simply use disposable surgical masks.

Not as effective as N95, but eminently comfortable & cheap.

Back
Top Bottom