• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Phil Murphy Fails NJ in the Snowpocalypse [W:15]

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
It didn't end well for the newly minted gov. Let me just say this. I live ten mins from my job. It took me an hour to get back to my house. I saw ten stalled out cars and 2 stalled out buses in the three mile journey. My boss left work at 4 like me. He's still in traffic...

As the state was in the midst of its first snowstorm of the season Thursday, Gov. Phil Murphy took to social media to assure everyone that roadways were being plowed.

Gov. Phil Murphy gets slammed on Twitter for handling of snowstorm

This is the live traffic map right now. I've seen some reports of people being stuck in traffic for six hours for a regular 30 minute commute.

trafficmap.JPG

It didn't end well for the newly minted gov. Let me just say this. I live ten mins from my job. It took me an hour to get back to my house. I saw ten stalled out cars and 2 stalled out buses in the three mile journey. My boss left work at 4 like me. He's still in traffic...

This is the live traffic map right now. I've seen some reports of people being stuck in traffic for six hours for a regular 30 minute commute.

View attachment 67244371
I'm dissappointed, I figured you a good SJW who cycled back next forth to places. Your one of those environment killers who abuse our planet. SHAME on you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

I spent my childhood in NY and NJ. I left as soon as I got the chance. You should too.

I spent my childhood in NY and NJ. I left as soon as I got the chance. You should too.
I left when my balls started glowing in the dark and the women I was with were telling me not to worry about it. I happens to everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

I'm dissappointed, I figured you a good SJW who cycled back next forth to places. Your one of those environment killers who abuse our planet. SHAME on you!

You're a victim of people who bike to work? Give it a rest.

You're a victim of people who bike to work? Give it a rest.

Furthermore people spend way too much time worrying about what I do in my spare time on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Furthermore people spend way too much time worrying about what I do in my spare time on this site.

Some people bike to work. Good for them. Yay. But he's gotta be a ****ing victim. What a joke.

Did I claim victimhood?

Yes. Obviously. You're crying about how you're treated. It's pathetic. You're not a victim of everyone, butch up.

160213_wn_pilgrim_0635_16x9_992.jpg

If every one of those people traveling and all those packages were be transported by bicycles this wouldn't have happened.

You got that right. EVERYONE knows that when there is a heavy winter blizzard with heavy snow downfall or ice storm you ride a bike to avoid the traffic. That is particularly so for the elderly who tend to not drive a car as well on snow and ice.

And then you piss on Trouble so he can come here and cry victim.

How far do you think you can carry this strawman?

No, I'm sure it's true. He's terribly mistreated by those bike people and environmentalists. He has every right to cry about how they judge him and say mean things about him. It must be traumatizing. We should have safe spaces where meanie bike greenies aren't allowed to say mean things.

Moderator's Warning:
Knock off the personal crap, people.

BTW, living in NJ, my commute home was, maybe 10 minutes longer than usual. The roads were no different than they usually are during a snowstorm, and I've lived in NJ all my life and have driven in the snow more times than I can count.

Re: Phil Murphy Fails NJ in the Snowpocalypse

View attachment 67244371

What exactly is the NJ governor's role in managing road conditions/maintenance during non-disaster weather events?

For federal-level disaster relief/management activities, the POTUS must expressly instruct, albeit at a somewhat high level, various organizations -- FEMA, the military, etc. -- to do "this and that." He's got to at least order things to the effect of "coordinate resources to do XYZ," "send troops 'here' and 'there' and have them do 'XYZ,'" "commence planning to send 'such and such'/'so and so' to..." and so on. He's also got to make certain disaster declarations.

I don't know what comparable responsibilities the NJ governor has for non-blizzard grade snow events. After all, it's NJ not AZ. Snow isn't exactly an uncommon event in NJ. The man declared a state of emergency. What else was he supposed to do?

BTW, does NJ law require folks to have snow tires, chains or studded tires when driving in snow conditions?
  • DC does, but the fine is $100, hardly enough to motivate behavior given the relatively high incomes of many DC residents. That said, one'd think that the prospect of getting stuck in the snow be adequate motivation to at least have two sets of tires -- summer and winter -- for one's car(s), if not additional equipment such as chains.

From the article:
"Murphy said officials had to "turn on a dime" from an inaccurate forecast."​

Phil Murphy Fails NJ in the Snowpocalypse
"Snowpocalypse?" That seems like an incredibly sensationalist term given the quantity of snow (~8") that's forecast.

NJ is forecast to get about eight inches of snow. That's not a particularly huge amount of snow, but it's enough to be somewhat troublesome. I live in DC -- a mid atlantic locale like NJ, rather than a northern one like Maine or Minnesota -- eight inches will "do a number" on traffic if the city's government isn't properly informed and/or otherwise able to prepare for and deal with it.

Red:
Ten minutes? Why didn't you just walk and leave your car parked at work, or better still, knowing snow was coming, not drive to work in the first place? (Hell, ten minutes away...why even drive at all?) Whatever...Maybe that's a suburban-people's thing[SUP]1[/SUP]...You chose to drive; that's that and it is what it is...I have a former colleague who lives in Mahwah and odds are, if he's in the NYC/NJ area, he also got delayed in traffic.

Is there something that gave you a rational reason to think roads would be more passable than they were?

Note:
  1. The guy I know best and who lives up there is the sort who drives to the end of his driveway to collect the mail. LOL I don't know if that's a suburban thing or a rural thing; I just know it's something he does. I occasionally rib him about it. In fairness, where he lives is adjacent to a state park and is pretty rural feeling, so to get anywhere he's pretty much got to drive or take a helicopter.

Blue:
"Stalled out." That's a vehicle engine operation/maintenance matter, not a snow matter.

What exactly is the NJ governor's role in managing road conditions/maintenance during non-disaster weather events?

For federal-level disaster relief/management activities, the POTUS must expressly instruct, albeit at a somewhat high level, various organizations -- FEMA, the military, etc. -- to do "this and that." He's got to at least order things to the effect of "coordinate resources to do XYZ," "send troops 'here' and 'there' and have them do 'XYZ,'" "commence planning to send 'such and such'/'so and so' to..." and so on. He's also got to make certain disaster declarations.

I don't know what comparable responsibilities the NJ governor has for non-blizzard grade snow events. After all, it's NJ not AZ. Snow isn't exactly an uncommon event in NJ. The man declared a state of emergency. What else was he supposed to do?

BTW, does NJ law require folks to have snow tires, chains or studded tires when driving in snow conditions?
  • DC does, but the fine is $100, hardly enough to motivate behavior given the relatively high incomes of many DC residents. That said, one'd think that the prospect of getting stuck in the snow be adequate motivation to at least have two sets of tires -- summer and winter -- for one's car(s), if not additional equipment such as chains.

From the article:
"Murphy said officials had to "turn on a dime" from an inaccurate forecast."​

"Snowpocalypse?" That seems like an incredibly sensationalist term given the quantity of snow (~8") that's forecast.

NJ is forecast to get about eight inches of snow. That's not a particularly huge amount of snow, but it's enough to be somewhat troublesome. I live in DC -- a mid atlantic locale like NJ, rather than a northern one like Maine or Minnesota -- eight inches will "do a number" on traffic if the city's government isn't properly informed and/or otherwise able to prepare for and deal with it.

Red:
Ten minutes? Why didn't you just walk and leave your car parked at work, or better still, knowing snow was coming, not drive to work in the first place? (Hell, ten minutes away...why even drive at all?) Whatever...Maybe that's a suburban-people's thing[SUP]1[/SUP]...You chose to drive; that's that and it is what it is...I have a former colleague who lives in Mahwah and odds are, if he's in the NYC/NJ area, he also got delayed in traffic.

Is there something that gave you a rational reason to think roads would be more passable than they were?

Note:
  1. The guy I know best and who lives up there is the sort who drives to the end of his driveway to collect the mail. LOL I don't know if that's a suburban thing or a rural thing; I just know it's something he does. I occasionally rib him about it. In fairness, where he lives is adjacent to a state park and is pretty rural feeling, so to get anywhere he's pretty much got to drive or take a helicopter.

Blue:
"Stalled out." That's a vehicle engine operation/maintenance matter, not a snow matter.

The initial forecast was for 1-3 inches. That's what we were hearing all week. The event was no "Snowpocalpse" as the OP stated. We had one of those... Halloween of 2011. Widespread power outages, hundreds of trees down. In some areas, this was worse than Hurricane Sandy a year later. The snow today? Pretty standard NJ stuff, though a little early in the season. Nothing to get upset about. Few power outages. The timing, right around the evening rush hour was the height of the storm, was the only real issue.

The initial forecast was for 1-3 inches. That's what we were hearing all week. The event was no "Snowpocalpse" as the OP stated. We had one of those... Halloween of 2011. Widespread power outages, hundreds of trees down. In some areas, this was worse than Hurricane Sandy a year later. The snow today? Pretty standard NJ stuff, though a little early in the season. Nothing to get upset about. Few power outages. The timing, right around the evening rush hour was the height of the storm, was the only real issue.
Look at that moon. Potato weather for sure.
-- Thornton Wilder, Our Town

TY

Okay. So the Gov. was fair in saying they'd/he'd receive an inaccurate forecast. That happens occasionally, but when it happens, it's not fair to rag on the governor for prepping the state's snow management apparatus for happenes when what happens is very different from what was predicted.

Based on what you've above shared, I understand residents being irked, but they need to direct their anger and blame, if they must blame someone other than themselves, in the right direction.

...life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.
-- Søren Kierkegaard​

Look at that moon. Potato weather for sure.
-- Thornton Wilder, Our Town

TY

Okay. So the Gov. was fair in saying they'd/he'd receive an inaccurate forecast. That happens occasionally, but when it happens, it's not fair to rag on the governor for prepping the state's snow management apparatus for happenes when what happens is very different from what was predicted.

Based on what you've above shared, I understand residents being irked, but they need to direct their anger and blame, if they must blame someone other than themselves, in the right direction.

...life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.
-- Søren Kierkegaard​

Yeah, nothing that occurred can really be focused on Gov. Murphy. The forecast was inaccurate, the height of the storm was at the worst possible time, many schools didn't let out early enough, and it's very early in the season. When people are inconvenienced, they just look to blame someone. This wasn't anyone's fault. It was WEATHER. It happens.

Back
Top Bottom