• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pfizer Covid vaccine was just 12% effective against omicron in kids 5 to 11, study finds

GummyVitamins

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Pfizer and BioNTech’s two-dose Covid vaccine provided very little protection for children aged 5 to 11 during the wave of omicron infection in New York, according to a study published Monday.

The New York State Department of Health found that the effectiveness of Pfizer’s vaccine against Covid infection plummeted from 68% to 12% for kids in that age group during the omicron surge from Dec. 13 through Jan 24. Protection against hospitalization dropped from 100% to 48% during the same period.

Cliff Notes: NY Department of Health released the data from a study on the efficacy of the covid-19 vaccine in children. The data shows that it was not particularly effective in children 5-11, and the assumption is due to the reduced dose that children receive. The results are awaiting peer review, but it's a data point into figuring out how to move forward. I'm sure academics will be debating whether vaccinating is worth it due to the lower transmission risk of children or whether we should be increasing the dose for children. An increased dose of the vaccine made the children much more resistant to the current covid-19.

Quiet thread, oops follow the science!

Cliff Notes: NY Department of Health released the data from a study on the efficacy of the covid-19 vaccine in children. The data shows that it was not particularly effective in children 5-11, and the assumption is due to the reduced dose that children receive. The results are awaiting peer review, but it's a data point into figuring out how to move forward. I'm sure academics will be debating whether vaccinating is worth it due to the lower transmission risk of children or whether we should be increasing the dose for children. An increased dose of the vaccine made the children much more resistant to the current covid-19.
Thats good info GV but I would argue with your conclusion that its " not particularly effective in children 5-11" From the article

The New York State Department of Health found that the effectiveness of Pfizer’s vaccine against Covid infection plummeted from 68% to 12% for kids in that age group during the omicron surge from Dec. 13 through Jan 24. Protection against hospitalization dropped from 100% to 48% during the same period.

That last sentence shows it is still effective for children. We already knew the vaccine was not as effective against the Omicron variant for preventing infection. We do know that it lessens the severity even if infected because the un-vaccinated are currently dying at 97 times the rate of vaccinated. I think we just got lucky that kids are less effected by Covid.

Early morning thread only minutes old.....

Follow the clock.
It was a little early but @HennyBogan 's post looks prophetic now. My guess is that the russians and trump conservatives got their hands full with some other issues.

CDC still recommend polio vaccines for pre-schoolers, yet the chance of contracting the disease is vanishingly remote.

Cool yeah even Bill Gates says the Omicron variant is better than the vaccine

Cool yeah even Bill Gates says the Omicron variant is better than the vaccine

Cool! What's Tim Cook's view on a good OTC medication for seasonal allergies?

I cannot believe I didn't think to ask a tech guy about my health before! Surely my general practitioner should be able to help be navigate my new Windows as well. 🙃

Pretty stupid to force this ineffective vaccine on kids at this point

CDC still recommend polio vaccines for pre-schoolers, yet the chance of contracting the disease is vanishingly remote.
The CDC has slowly ruined its thin reputation. It won't be long before it's 100% untrustable. This is what happens when you use it as a political tool, like the Dems have.

Yeah, no it hasn't.

Exc

Except to those who weren't listening anyway.
Maybe so, for whatever reason. But the CDC has waffled throughout this entire pandemic, and allowed Fauci to be the face of the entire govt medical community.

The CDC has slowly ruined its thin reputation. It won't be long before it's 100% untrustable. This is what happens when you use it as a political tool, like the Dems have.
"American" can you please explain with actual examples why you think the CDC has "slowly ruined its thin reputation". And can you compare that to the right attacking the science of vaccines and masks. Oh and throw in trumps "inject bleach", "it'll magically disappear" and mocking people for wearing masks. thanks in advance.

Seems about right.

Maybe so, for whatever reason. But the CDC has waffled throughout this entire pandemic, and allowed Fauci to be the face of the entire govt medical community.

Changing recommendations as medical knowledge changes isn't "waffling".

Fauci isn't head of the CDC. Dr. Robert Redfield is.

Fauci is the Chief medical Advisor to the President. A position that came into being under Trump. And left empty from December 2019 until Biden took office.

And who cares who the "face" is?

Last edited:
This is true. I think some of the pushback from overly cautious people would be that the Polio vaccine has been around for decades, and we have seen the long-term side effects, if any. Polio is also far more dangerous.

Changing recommendations as medical knowledge changes isn't "waffling".

Fauci isn't head of the CDC. Dr. Robert Redfield is.

Fauci is the Chief medical Advisor to the President. A position that came into being under Trump. And left empty from December 2019 until Biden took office.

And who cares who the "face" is?
I said he was the face, not the head of the CDC and other govt medical agencies. Medical knowledge on masks doesn't change. Those N95 and all other certified masks were test decades ago to engineering standards. They know PRECISELY what those masks will and will not do. There is zero about the novel coronavirus that makes it slip through a mask any differently from any other similar virus. Fauci lied his ass off, and still does. People believe his shit, and some likely died because of it. He's a criminal as far as I'm concerned.

I said he was the face, not the head of the CDC and other govt medical agencies. Medical knowledge on masks doesn't change. Those N95 and all other certified masks were test decades ago to engineering standards. They know PRECISELY what those masks will and will not do. There is zero about the novel coronavirus that makes it slip through a mask any differently from any other similar virus. Fauci lied his ass off, and still does. People believe his shit, and some likely died because of it. He's a criminal as far as I'm concerned.

He isn't the "face" of the CDC.

And mask mandates weren't to protect the wearer. They were to stem transfer from sick to well.

And criminal?

🤣

Please, continue to show your ass.

So under a Republican president, the democrats controlled a division of government that the president had more control over? Was Trump that incompetent?

What has the CDC done to get you so upset? Details please. Oh, and speaking of using political tools, was it Donald Trump who demanded testing be slowed down because big infection numbers looked bad for his election prospects? Surely not.
That's your 'very stable genius' definitely not using the pandemic and coercion for political gain.

Back
Top Bottom