• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pfizer covid shot 80 percent effective in younger kids, early data shows

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Pfizer and its German partner, BioNTech, said Monday that an early analysis showed their three-dose coronavirus vaccine regimen triggered a strong immune response in younger children, proving 80 percent effective at preventing symptomatic infections in children 6 months to 4 years old.

The results, along with other recent developments, signal that the long and frustrating wait for a vaccine for the youngest children, the last group to lack access, could be over within weeks.

Good news! This is one step closer to making sure everyone has the vaccine available to them.

Good news! This is one step closer to making sure everyone has the vaccine available to them
Can you explain to me clearly why?

The first thesis... do vaccinated people stop getting sick with COVID? No, and this is a fact, they also get sick, they also carry the disease, only according to the vaccine developers, people carry the disease in a milder form or asymptomatically.
The second thesis... do young children get sick with COVID? Yes, but the disease is overwhelmingly asymptomatic, and those cases that had more acute diseases are so insignificant compared to the flu.

So why then should people spoil the immunity of their children? What's the point of that. Any epidemiologist will say that acquired immunity is better than a vaccine. Why vaccinate children in such cases?

The first thesis... do vaccinated people stop getting sick with COVID? No, and this is a fact, they also get sick, they also carry the disease, only according to the vaccine developers, people carry the disease in a milder form or asymptomatically.
The second thesis... do young children get sick with COVID? Yes, but the disease is overwhelmingly asymptomatic, and those cases that had more acute diseases are so insignificant compared to the flu.
It has been established since the beginning that these vaccines help alleviate symptoms and reduce the infectious period. That alone is sufficient reason to get one.
So why then should people spoil the immunity of their children? What's the point of that. Any epidemiologist will say that acquired immunity is better than a vaccine. Why vaccinate children in such cases?
There is no evidence that this vaccine spoils anyone's immunity outside of the specious reasoning you just engaged in. Its like asking "why wear a seat belt, if you might survive the car crash?"

I was so pleased to hear this yesterday. I expect they will submit to health Canada soon. I'm hopeful that it will be available for my two youngest grandchildren by September when one goes to junior kindergarten and the other starts daycare. My daughter has consulted with their pediatrician and she recommends that they get the vaccination but my daughter will check back with her once the drugs are approved to see if the recommendation is still the same.

There is no evidence that this vaccine spoils anyone's immunity outside of the specious reasoning you just engaged in. Its like asking "why wear a seat belt, if you might survive the car crash?"
Once again, any epidemiologist will tell you that acquired immunity is always better than a vaccine...

Once again, any epidemiologist will tell you that acquired immunity is always better than a vaccine...
I have read conflicting reports on whether that is true. However, one thing I am certain of acquiring natural immunity is a hell of a lot riskier than a vaccine.

That is pretty situational and it also doesn't mean that a vaccination automagically harms someone.

This report is like the last report that eventually turns out to be overcome by events

Pfizer and its German partner, BioNTech, said Monday that an early analysis showed their three-dose coronavirus vaccine regimen triggered a strong immune response in younger children, proving 80 percent effective at preventing symptomatic infections in children 6 months to 4 years old.

The results, along with other recent developments, signal that the long and frustrating wait for a vaccine for the youngest children, the last group to lack access, could be over within weeks.

Good news! This is one step closer to making sure everyone has the vaccine available to them.

If I understand it correctly, its only effective at generating an immune response, not neccesarily that this responses prevents severity. Deaths under 16 are near 0, so vaccination would only provide a tiny decrease in risk, if any.

I beleive some doctors said the risk of heart issues from the vaccine was higher.

If I understand it correctly, its only effective at generating an immune response, not neccesarily that this responses prevents severity. Deaths under 16 are near 0, so vaccination would only provide a tiny decrease in risk, if any.

I beleive some doctors said the risk of heart issues from the vaccine was higher.

Even though deaths are rare Covid can be severe in young children. In Ontario kids who have covid symptoms must stay home from school until symptoms clear. Although the vaccine doesn't guarantee complete protection it does minimize the child catching covid. The Canadian Paediatric Society the risk of developing myocarditis as a result of a Covid infection is a higher risk.

Last edited:

It's May of 2022. These kinds of questions are demeaning to all thinking people. For a second grade example, please consider why we immunize against hepatitis, DTaP, polio, MMR, etc.

Unequivocally false. The medical scientific consensus is that vaccination is a safer and more dependable way to build immunity than getting sick.

Back
Top Bottom