• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pew Research political ideology

Which political subgroup do you fit into?

• Core conservative

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Country first conservative

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Market skeptic republican

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New era enterpriser

• Devout and diverse

• Disaffected democrat

• Opportunity democrat

• Solid liberal

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I don't fit into any of them

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • not sure

• Total voters

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Pew Research published a poll which can tell you what your political ideology is. Admittedly, the poll is a bit black and white with only 2 choices per question but it can be used as an indicator.

Here it is right here:
Political Typology Quiz | Pew Research Center

Solid liberal: Your basic Democrat. Supports additional government intervention in the economy, being concerned about wealth inequality and the environment. They also stand with the LGBT community and see diversity as a virtue.

Opportunity democrat: These people are generally left leaning. They stand out from other leftist groups in that they believe that most people who work hard will be able to make it (as opposed to social barriers stopping women and minorities from succeeding).

Disaffected democrat: Stands with the left on most issues. They disagree with solid liberals on the general performance of government, being skeptical of regulation.

Devout and diverse: This group is overall left leaning on the environment and generally views the current economic system as benefitting the elite. They are divided on whether regulation does more good or more harm, on whether immigrants are an asset or a liability, and on whether homosexuality is acceptable. They typically favor a more isolationist and "America first" foreign policy.

Core conservative: Your run of the mill Republican. These people are skeptical of the effectiveness of government action and although some believe that immigrants strengthen this country, most believe that they are a burden. They are divided on whether homosexuality should be accepted in society.

Country first conservatives: The name says it all, they believe in putting America first. A majority of them believe that government action is generally inefficient, though this majority is smaller than for core conservatives. Most members of this group frown upon homosexuality. A defining characteristic of this group is the belief that immigrants are a liability unto society.

Market skeptic republicans: This group of republicans stands out in their belief that the current economic system unfairly favors the rich (but most are generally skeptical of welfare). This group is lmore skeptical of immigration than core conservatives but not as much as the country first variety. On the other hand, 62% believe that homosexuality should be accepted in society.

New era enterprisers: According to the pew research poll, this group seems to be the new generation of republicans. They are more likely to have a positive outlook on immigration and homosexuality than the other republican groups and are less skeptical of welfare. However, they tend to view the current economic system as being fair and don't believe that racism or sexism play a big role in society today.

Pew Research published a poll which can tell you what your political ideology is. Admittedly, the poll is a bit black and white with only 2 choices per question but it can be used as an indicator.

Here it is right here:

Solid liberal: Your basic Democrat. Supports additional government intervention in the economy, being concerned about wealth inequality and the environment. They also stand with the LGBT community and see diversity as a virtue.

Opportunity democrat: These people are generally left leaning. They stand out from other leftist groups in that they believe that most people who work hard will be able to make it (as opposed to social barriers stopping women and minorities from succeeding).

Disaffected democrat: Stands with the left on most issues. They disagree with solid liberals on the general performance of government, being skeptical of regulation.

Devout and diverse: This group is overall left leaning on the environment and generally views the current economic system as benefitting the elite. They are divided on whether regulation does more good or more harm, on whether immigrants are an asset or a liability, and on whether homosexuality is acceptable. They typically favor a more isolationist and "America first" foreign policy.

Core conservative: Your run of the mill Republican. These people are skeptical of the effectiveness of government action and although some believe that immigrants strengthen this country, most believe that they are a burden. They are divided on whether homosexuality should be accepted in society.

Country first conservatives: The name says it all, they believe in putting America first. A majority of them believe that government action is generally inefficient, though this majority is smaller than for core conservatives. Most members of this group frown upon homosexuality. A defining characteristic of this group is the belief that immigrants are a liability unto society.

Market skeptic republicans: This group of republicans stands out in their belief that the current economic system unfairly favors the rich (but most are generally skeptical of welfare). This group is lmore skeptical of immigration than core conservatives but not as much as the country first variety. On the other hand, 62% believe that homosexuality should be accepted in society.

New era enterprisers: According to the pew research poll, this group seems to be the new generation of republicans. They are more likely to have a positive outlook on immigration and homosexuality than the other republican groups and are less skeptical of welfare. However, they tend to view the current economic system as being fair and don't believe that racism or sexism play a big role in society today.
So, which category did you fall into?

Here it is right here:

Black and white binary questions plus a short 17 question length isn't really adequate to categorize results to this degree of nuance.

According to the test I am a disaffected Democrat, but I am not skeptical of regulations, so I think I conform to the description of being devout and diverse.

I think of myself as a New Deal Democrat. I like the Democrat Party that existed from the inauguration of Franklin Roosevelt in 1933 to the assassination of John Kennedy in 1963. I dislike changes the Democratic Party has taken since 1963. Generally speaking I am liberal on economic and environmental issues and conservative on social issues.

I didn't realize we were supposed to get our answer from the quiz. I read the options in the poll and they disgusted me because on the liberal side there was an assumption of now or formerly identifying as Democrat.

So I answered "I don't fit any of them."

Now I've taken the quiz, and the answer I get is "Solid Liberal".

I'm still not happy about that since the nutshell version of that is "Your basic Democrat". I'm only temporarily partnering with Democrats because Republicans are so offensive that they forced me out of the party and induced me to join up with a group which as recently as 3 years ago made my lip curl and which I still don't think has recovered from mistakes they made which let Wisconsin turn reddish purple and gave us President Trump.

According to the test I am a disaffected Democrat, but I am not skeptical of regulations, so I think I conform to the description of being devout and diverse.

I think of myself as a New Deal Democrat. I like the Democrat Party that existed from the inauguration of Franklin Roosevelt in 1933 to the assassination of John Kennedy in 1963. I dislike changes the Democratic Party has taken since 1963. Generally speaking I am liberal on economic and environmental issues and conservative on social issues.

Agree with this, but more moderate than outright conservative on social issues, unless one was to consider marijuana legalization radical. I think that equal rights and so on are important, but that identity politics come a distant second to matters of the economy, and that the Democrats of the present smokescreen for their lack of substantive left leaning economic change and progressivism with an overemphasis on this.

Last edited:

What in particular changed in 1963 that you don't like? Does it have to do with identity politics?

It's missing brainwashed Trumptard.

This brand of 'conservative' bases his (and they are mostly men) vision on hatred of minorities and a childish, competitive view of politics that embraces winners and losers. He wants many of the other things conservatives want such as 'small govt' and lower taxes but doesn't really understand what either truly means or how it will affect him. As long as it angers a liberal, that's okay: he is willing to compromise as long as the 'libtards' are trolled.

He hates gays and women as well. He wants a strongman, possibly with a religious bent, and is willing to pay for the made in China hat and other paraphernalia to show his support. He loves his guns and wishes there was a second civil war so he could use them: on women, gays, blacks and Hispanics of course. He hasn't had sex in a while, at least not with a willing partner. He beats his wife and ,may also have a meth problem.

While the OP covers most of the traditional spectrum it is missing that hardcore quarter of the population that lives and breathes Trump and that is the only real support he can count on anymore.

It's missing brainwashed Trumptard.

This brand of 'conservative' bases his (and they are mostly men) vision on hatred of minorities and a childish, competitive view of politics that embraces winners and losers. He wants many of the other things conservatives want such as 'small govt' and lower taxes but doesn't really understand what either truly means or how it will affect him. As long as it angers a liberal, that's okay: he is willing to compromise as long as the 'libtards' are trolled.

He hates gays and women as well. He wants a strongman, possibly with a religious bent, and is willing to pay for the made in China hat and other paraphernalia to show his support. He loves his guns and wishes there was a second civil war so he could use them: on women, gays, blacks, and Hispanics of course. He hasn't had sex in a while, at least not with a willing partner. He beats his wife and, may also have a meth problem.

While the OP covers most of the traditional spectrum it is missing that hardcore quarter of the population that lives and breathes Trump and that is the only real support he can count on anymore.

Maybe you're referring to the nation first conservative.

Apparently I'm a "consistently liberal" "new era enterpriser" - whatever that means. Must be because I didn't answer 'Democrat' to their identity politics questions.

As was already pointed out, though, the nature and brevity of this test make it quite meaningless. My placement on the political compass survey (in the Gandhi region of the lower left quadrant) is much more aligned with where I actually see myself.

i tested solid liberal, though i didn't like the either / or of some questions.

Your best fit is...
Solid Liberals
along with 16% of the public.

Interesting!

What in particular changed in 1963 that you don't like? Does it have to do with identity politics?

Identity politics is a safe way of describing my dissatisfaction with the post 1963 Democratic Party.

I supported the civil rights movement as a child, a teenager, and a young adult. I am disappointed with the black response. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the War on Poverty begun soon later were followed by five years of black ghetto rioting, and more durable increases in black crime and illegitimacy. Black academic performance has improved little, if at all. It was not supposed to be this way. The hope inspiring the civil rights movement was that when blacks were given equal rights they would behave and perform as well as whites. They were supposed to emulate us. Instead we emulated them. As our rates of crime and illegitimacy rose, their rates rose even more.

These results substantiate the arguments conservatives presented against the civil rights legislation and the War on Poverty when they were debated in Congress.

When it became clear that giving blacks equal rights would not eliminate racial inequality liberals tried to force racial equality with policies like forced school busing, and affirmative action. Now they are talking about reparations.

Bill Clinton, who I voted for in 1992 and 1996, called for a dialogue on race. I certainly would like such a dialogue. Hypocritically, liberals suppress an honest dialogue by making it dangerous to criticize blacks. If one acknowledges any black deficiency one must blame it on white racism, or be punished for racism. When one is accused of racism, truth is no defense; it is evidence for the prosecution.

Race is the liberals' weakest issue. It is the issue where liberal reforms have obviously failed. It is the issue where liberal hypocrisy is equally obvious. Liberals praise the 1954 Brown vs Board of Education Supreme Court Decision. Nevertheless, they avoid sending their children to public schools with many blacks in the student bodies. If the local public schools do have large number of blacks in them liberals send their children to white private schools or they move to white school districts. Then they condemn the racism of white blue collar workers who cannot afford to do that, and who have to pay the price for liberal racial ideals.

The black response to the civil rights legislation and the War on Poverty has turned the United States into a Republican country. It has prevented the Democrats from exploiting their strongest issue, which is the growing income gap. Because I continue to revere the memory and the legacy of President Franklin Roosevelt I regret that.

Crappy poll

I mostly didn't agree with either answer

Here it is right here:

Many of the questions were a bit restricting, or I agreed with neither answer and had to chose the closest one, but apparently the result is that I'm a Solid Liberal.

For example there was one question about social safety net - the wording of the answer I chose was "The government should do more to help needy Americans, even if it means going deeper into debt"

But I don't think that's quite right - the government should provide a baseline which people can build off of, but it is my position and opinion that doing so will actually improve the overall economy, yield higher tax returns, and reduce national debt.

That baseline should include healthcare and heavily subsidized/free education up to and including bachelors degrees/trade schools, etc.
The goal should be to bring people into the workforce relatively free some currently insane debt loads - education and healthcare.

Essentially personal debt is a shackle holding the country back, and we need to shatter it, or at least make it a much lighter load.

Last edited:
Identity politics is a safe way of describing my dissatisfaction with the post 1963 Democratic Party.

I supported the civil rights movement as a child, a teenager, and a young adult. I am disappointed with the black response. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the War on Poverty begun soon later were followed by five years of black ghetto rioting, and more durable increases in black crime and illegitimacy. Black academic performance has improved little, if at all. It was not supposed to be this way. The hope inspiring the civil rights movement was that when blacks were given equal rights they would behave and perform as well as whites. They were supposed to emulate us. Instead we emulated them. As our rates of crime and illegitimacy rose, their rates rose even more.

These results substantiate the arguments conservatives presented against the civil rights legislation and the War on Poverty when they were debated in Congress.

When it became clear that giving blacks equal rights would not eliminate racial inequality liberals tried to force racial equality with policies like forced school busing, and affirmative action. Now they are talking about reparations.

Bill Clinton, who I voted for in 1992 and 1996, called for a dialogue on race. I certainly would like such a dialogue. Hypocritically, liberals suppress an honest dialogue by making it dangerous to criticize blacks. If one acknowledges any black deficiency one must blame it on white racism, or be punished for racism. When one is accused of racism, truth is no defense; it is evidence for the prosecution.

Race is the liberals' weakest issue. It is the issue where liberal reforms have obviously failed. It is the issue where liberal hypocrisy is equally obvious. Liberals praise the 1954 Brown vs Board of Education Supreme Court Decision. Nevertheless, they avoid sending their children to public schools with many blacks in the student bodies. If the local public schools do have large number of blacks in them liberals send their children to white private schools or they move to white school districts. Then they condemn the racism of white blue collar workers who cannot afford to do that, and who have to pay the price for liberal racial ideals.

The black response to the civil rights legislation and the War on Poverty has turned the United States into a Republican country. It has prevented the Democrats from exploiting their strongest issue, which is the growing income gap. Because I continue to revere the memory and the legacy of President Franklin Roosevelt I regret that.

To be honest, I think the lack of emphasis among Democrats on matters of traditional relevance per the FDR era, and the overemphasis on identity politics, has far more to do with the desire of donors, and less with an actual excess of concern.

Faced with the issue that the party now relies so heavily on the generosity of the very special interests that they were until recently relied upon to combat and moderate, patrons to whom economic justice and reform are clearly anathema, the Democratic party has had to look elsewhere for its left street cred in wedge issues like ID politics.

So, which category did you fall into?

It said I was core conservative, though I definitely disagree with conservatives on a few issues. Like I said, the poll is a bit simplistic. For example, it asked whether black people are behind because the government isn't doing enough or because it's their own fault, leaving no room for other options like "less regulation would increase social mobility" or "it's a mix of circumstances".

It said I was core conservative, though I definitely disagree with conservatives on a few issues. Like I said, the poll is a bit simplistic. For example, it asked whether black people are behind because the government isn't doing enough or because it's their own fault, leaving no room for other options like "less regulation would increase social mobility" or "it's a mix of circumstances".

I came up "core conservative" as well.

Not really a capable poll to actually get a decent read on someone. Not to mention some rather iffy two shade questions, and that just doesn't help me feel good about anything that comes from the poll.

I took it, and came out as a New Era Enterpriser. Though that was choosing an answer that didn't really look to be correct in the end either.

The whole "obstacles for women that aren't there for men" question was a bit out there. Not to mention all of the ones that dealt with race.

To be honest, I think the lack of emphasis among Democrats on matters of traditional relevance per the FDR era, and the overemphasis on identity politics, has far more to do with the desire of donors, and less with an actual excess of concern.

Faced with the issue that the party now relies so heavily on the generosity of the very special interests that they were until recently relied upon to combat and moderate, patrons to whom economic justice and reform are clearly anathema, the Democratic party has had to look elsewhere for its left street cred in wedge issues like ID politics.

The Democratic Party has come to be dominated by well educated, well paid bi coastal professionals. These lack the public enthusiasm for tax cuts for the rich the Republican donor class has, but they do not mind because they benefit from those tax cuts for the rich.

By advocating de incarceration and sanctuary cities and, promoting the interests of homosexuals and transsexuals, former new left radicals at elite universities who now earn big incomes convince themselves that they have not really compromised their youthful ideals.

An additional reason blacks are being left behind economically is the low average intelligence of the Negro race.

Here it is right here:

The test is bull****.
I broke it on 17.
It tries to force you to a specific conclusion.
Pure garbage.

"Identity politics" is a dog whistle for opposition to civil rights.

An additional reason blacks are being left behind economically is the low average intelligence of the Negro race.

Triple-facepalm.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom