• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pets and Fireworks.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Seems with the 4th.....our Pup is having a hard time with the Fireworks. Same with our Cats. The pup is like shaking non stop and definitely wants to be held and covered up. Pup is like a year and half old. The cats are a little better. They are not so much bothered by the smaller pops and whistles. But now the Big Booms and people using quarter sticks of dynamite does cause them to break for cover.

Vet was like you could give them Benadryl. Then the Pet Store said they had some pills to keep the dog calm. But I don't know if I trust something like that.

Course I had a couple of buddies tell me to just fill the dog bowl up with some beer. Anyone else going thru the same with their pets? What do you do during these days? We already have the windows and doors closed up. But that only muffles very little. I even thought about running my generators just to help with trying to keep the fireworks covered up with some loud noise.

We haven't done anything yet.....and the Pup is hiding under the OL's bed.

Seems with the 4th.....our Pup is having a hard time with the Fireworks. Same with our Cats. The pup is like shaking non stop and definitely wants to be held and covered up. Pup is like a year and half old. The cats are a little better. They are not so much bothered by the smaller pops and whistles. But now the Big Booms and people using quarter sticks of dynamite does cause them to break for cover.

Vet was like you could give them Benadryl. Then the Pet Store said they had some pills to keep the dog calm. But I don't know if I trust something like that.

Course I had a couple of buddies tell me to just fill the dog bowl up with some beer. Anyone else going thru the same with their pets? What do you do during these days? We already have the windows and doors closed up. But that only muffles very little. I even thought about running my generators just to help with trying to keep the fireworks covered up with some loud noise.

Do you live in Beirut? :lol:

Best thing to do, as it seems you are already doing, is keep them inside the house. You may want to feed them more food as a tummy heavy with good food will make any creature sleepy. You can also try cradling the pup in your arms and give lots of comfort and reassurance and love. Or if you can, how about some valium? Uh, just kidding. :)

Do you live in Beirut? :lol:

Best thing to do, as it seems you are already doing, is keep them inside the house. You may want to feed them more food as a tummy heavy with good food will make any creature sleepy. You can also try cradling the pup in your arms and give lots of comfort and reassurance and love. Or if you can, how about some valium? Uh, just kidding. :)

Heya GP. :2wave: No its worse than Beirut.....Chicago. :lol:

Thanks.....yeah the cats are indoor cats so there is no going outside. Course the pup wont go out with the fireworks going off. Plus he doesn't want to eat his food. Like thinking if I eat that then I will have to go outside to make the dash. :mrgreen:

Yeah he was laying by the OL and staying by her but now he has ran under her bed. Doesn't want to come out yet.

I had one dog that would totally be a nervous wreck on the 4th of July, but she is gone now. My other dogs don't care so much.

I had one dog that would totally be a nervous wreck on the 4th of July, but she is gone now. My other dogs don't care so much.

Heya Fisher.
yo2.gif
Sorry to hear that bro. Were you able to do anything for her around the 4th?

They started with the fireworks last weekend around here.

The small stuff doesn't bother the cats much, it's when the heavy artillery comes out that all you see is a tip of a tail sticking out from under the bed.
It's annoying when they continue on all the way until 11pm, especially for those of us who don't have the day off.

They started with the fireworks last weekend around here.

The small stuff doesn't bother the cats much, it's when the heavy artillery comes out that all you see is a tip of a tail sticking out from under the bed.
It's annoying when they continue on all the way until 11pm, especially for those of us who don't have the day off.

Heya GG.
hat.gif
yeah Indiana is like that too. They can blow off fireworks pretty much all year. But around the 4th it's non stop. From like 10 am until Midnight.

Whatcha thinks about the Beer idea? Since he wont eat. Plus I am not fond of the pills idea.

Heya GG.
hat.gif
yeah Indiana is like that too. They can blow off fireworks pretty much all year. But around the 4th it's non stop. From like 10 am until Midnight.

Whatcha thinks about the Beer idea? Since he wont eat. Plus I am not fond of the pills idea.
I haven't gotten a dog drunk on beer since high school, but it would likely work to mellow him out. :lol:

I've got a little hutch in a corner ready for Pia. I know it's going to freak her the hell out. Weirdly, she doesn't mind thunder or lightening, but even the little pops we heard last night made her a little nervous.

Be very careful about keeping them inside. If you have to open the door, treat it like an open quarantine gate and body check that entrance. Take pictures of them, and of any distinctive marks they have, in case they get out.

I try to avoid giving meds, but something like Feliway may help the cats. The dogs may want a good cuddle.

I wouldn't do the beer thing. It's really easy to overdo it and wind up with a sick animal. Treats, pets, and covered hidey holes.

I'd take the educational approach - desensitize your pet by playing with things that create similar noise/fear so they can identify the unknown sound with something familiar or ok.

Drugs aren't a wise coping mechanism. In other words - familiarize your pet / train them to handle it a bit better.

I've got a little hutch in a corner ready for Pia. I know it's going to freak her the hell out. Weirdly, she doesn't mind thunder or lightening, but even the little pops we heard last night made her a little nervous.

Be very careful about keeping them inside. If you have to open the door, treat it like an open quarantine gate and body check that entrance. Take pictures of them, and of any distinctive marks they have, in case they get out.

I try to avoid giving meds, but something like Feliway may help the cats. The dogs may want a good cuddle.

I wouldn't do the beer thing. It's really easy to overdo it and wind up with a sick animal. Treats, pets, and covered hidey holes.

Heya SAM. :2wave: Yeah that's why I held off on that too. He is a good 45 lbs and I was like I wouldn't give him anything over a half a bowl. Which he doesn't have a large or big bowl. But I told the OL if he gets worse maybe he would try it. As he never has had it before. Course the OL is doing all she can to assure him. He just cant stop shaking. I was surprised as he is part Rott and Pitbull. That he would be affected by the fireworks.

Heya Fisher.
yo2.gif
Sorry to hear that bro. Were you able to do anything for her around the 4th?

No need to feel sorry. She was 8 when we got her and almost 16 when she died so she had a long life for a dog Nope, nothing could be done on the 4th or on New Year's Eve when people started shooting guns and fireworks. She was the same way in thunderstorms--hated booms.

I'd take the educational approach - desensitize your pet by playing with things that create similar noise/fear so they can identify the unknown sound with something familiar or ok.

Drugs aren't a wise coping mechanism. In other words - familiarize your pet / train them to handle it a bit better.

Heya Auntie Mmmmm. :2wave: Yeah we are trying to get him to play too. He wont even go outside to go to the washroom without both of us with him. Anything to get his mind off it. I think I will start up the Generator. It will cover a lot of the noise as the thing is loud.

My step son just got back and tried to pick up one of those Thundershirts from Petco. They were sold out. So he got the Calming Pills. Which we were just checking out.

Heya SAM. :2wave: Yeah that's why I held off on that too. He is a good 45 lbs and I was like I wouldn't give him anything over a half a bowl. Which he doesn't have a large or big bowl. But I told the OL if he gets worse maybe he would try it. As he never has had it before. Course the OL is doing all she can to assure him. He just cant stop shaking. I was surprised as he is part Rott and Pitbull. That he would be affected by the fireworks.

You know, every pit and rottie I've met is the sweetest pile of goo ever. It actually doesn't surprise me that he's so scared. These breeds used to be employed as "nurse maid dogs" to look after children, before people realized their big heads and jaws make them good at ripping stuff and started abusing them to turn them into fighting dogs.

I worry more about chihuahuas than I do pits. Not because chihuahuas are inherently mean, but again, because of how some humans treat them. Being carried around like a baby does nothing for a dog's self-esteem. And chihuahuas tend to be very protective dogs. It makes them really insecure to be so powerless, and they get nippy.

You know, every pit and rottie I've met is the sweetest pile of goo ever. It actually doesn't surprise me that he's so scared. These breeds used to be employed as "nurse maid dogs" to look after children, before people realized their big heads and jaws make them good at ripping stuff and started abusing them to turn them into fighting dogs.

I worry more about chihuahuas than I do pits. Not because chihuahuas are inherently mean, but again, because of how some humans treat them. Being carried around like a baby does nothing for a dog's self-esteem. And chihuahuas tend to be very protective dogs. It makes them really insecure to be so powerless, and they get nippy.

Yep, he is big lush around women and kids. He is also the OL's baby boy. She went out and got him these. So far the reviews I have seen have been good.

P82534_PS_AntiStress_60ct.ashx

◾Minimizes effects of stressful situations.
◾With natural calming ingredients and immune defense antioxidants.
◾With natural Chamomile, Ginger, and Valerian Root.
◾For use in dogs only.

ive never had pets scared of fireworks,but ive seen horses scared of certain powders like gray powder.

ive fired firearms around horses,and blackpowder,flash powder and blackpowder substitutes both sulfur and sugar based dont even make horses flinch,but gray powder aka common smokeless powder makes them run in fear.

ofcourse animalare wierd at that,my black lab blue tick mix wouldnt flinch at a twelve guage being fired right next to her,but run in fear if you turned on the hose to water the bushes.

Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment

I have a very large female German Shepherd that is afraid of thunder, fireworks, etc. This thing is fantastic, and well worth the money. It wraps them up tightly, almost swaddles them, and makes them feel secure.

dont know about adult dogs,but for puppies its a simple as laying down a blanket with a windup clock under it.the blanket reminds them of warmth and the windup clock makes them think the ticking is a heartbeat,so the puppy always thought another living beinbg was there.

i know this because i used to have a puppy i had to leave at home while i was at work,and that trick worked wonders to calm her down,loneliness,rain,thunder,whatever.

Tough love time... Two words... "Ass" & "Sparkler".

Our dog seems a little bit nervous, but not quite that much. Our old dog used to get that way, and we would put his crate down in the basement, which helped some.

Tough love time... Two words... "Ass" & "Sparkler".

Tough Love? Thats not going to stop him from shaking inside and out. It is clearly visible when he is going thru this. One can see that he is shaking and that is even with his closest friend holding him and keeping him covered up. Anyways he isn't afraid of sparklers of any size.

The calming pill helped after about an hour he stopped shaking. Then he finally went to sleep. Was up and about when I had to leave for work at 2 this morning. Doing just fine. I usually take him out before I leave and he had no trouble going out then. It was like he knew it was all over now.

All four of my German Shepherds were scared to death of fireworks...not just the noise, but the odor of the gun powder. It's a tough day for dogs, I'm afraid. I've always liked putting them in a room with a radio and turning it up loud.

All four of my German Shepherds were scared to death of fireworks...not just the noise, but the odor of the gun powder. It's a tough day for dogs, I'm afraid. I've always liked putting them in a room with a radio and turning it up loud.

Heya Maggie.
hat.gif
I ended up running the Generator which is loud. I think it helped some too. Plus we kept the TVS up loud. 3 of them front back and middle of the house. Those pills really worked this time.

Back
Top Bottom