• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Peterson sentenced to death

Peterson sentenced to death - Correct choice or not?

• Correct choice - the jury sentenced him appropriately and he should die.

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Not correct choice, I do not believe in death penalty so it is not right.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Undecided - [post below]

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: Yahoo News

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - [size=-1] Repelled by Scott Peterson (news - web sites)'s seeming lack of sorrow and remorse, a jury decided Monday that he deserves the death penalty for murdering his pregnant wife, Laci, almost exactly two years ago.

[/size]
[size=-1] A cheer went up outside the courthouse as the jury announced its decision after 11 1/2 hours of deliberations over three days. Inside court, Peterson reacted with the same tight-jawed look that some jurors said turned them off after seeing little emotion out of Peterson since his wife's disappearance. [/size]

[size=-1] "I still would have liked to see, I don't know if remorse is the right word," juror Steve Cardosi said at a news conference following the sentence. "He lost his wife and his child — it didn't seem to faze him. While that was going on ... he is romancing a girlfriend."[/size]

[size=-1] A crowd of several hundred gathered outside the courthouse for the verdict — a scene reminiscent of when about 1,000 people showed up last month to hear the conviction. The San Francisco Examiner came out with a special edition within minutes of the sentence, with the giant headline "DEATH."
[/size]

I don't like capital punishment, Don't think it's helping anyone. But if you're going to have the death pentality then it should be an across the board thing. Middle class, attractive white guys should get it just the same as anyone else. So I voted he should fry. Next up Robert Blake? Then Paris Hilton.

The DA did not prove that it was Scott Peterson who killed Lacy Peterson.

What I know is this. The prosecution spent four months concentrating, not on proving that Scott Peterson did it, but first getting the jury to hate him, and then attempting to prove a negative by stressing that since there was no one else could have done it, it must have been Peterson.

Yes, all the evidence was circumstantial, and Peterson did an excellent job of providing much of it. However, having as his defense attorney, Mark Geragos, who was squeezing Peterson in as he flitted between clients, pedofile Michael Jackson and shoplifting actress Winona Ryder, didn't help.

I believe that if he had OJ's legal dream team, headed by Johnny Cochran, in his corner, Peterson would have beaten the rap.

Personally, I think death is getting off too easy. It would be a much greater punishment if this guy had nothing but years ahead of him to reflect upon why he was incarcerated.

That said, if ever someone appeared to be a poster child for lethal injection...

And as a rule, I do not support the death penalty.

>I believe that if he had OJ's legal dream team, headed by Johnny Cochran, in his corner, Peterson would have beaten the rap.<Fantasea

Off the subject, but there was no "dream team."
Johnny Cochran was no great lawyer, it was the ineptude of the prosecution that lost the case.
I could've defended OJ against that prosecution and ended up with the same result, and I have no legal background.

Back to Peterson, it doesn't matter whether he gets life in prison or the death penalty.

I've read there is already a "lottery" among prison inmates as to who kills Peterson first. Whoever does, will be considered a hero among their fellow incarcerated.

Peterson has already been threatened with death since he's been in prison.
It seems the inmates do not like baby killers...they can understand and forgive someone killing their wife, but take "contracts" out on baby killers.

Either way, it's only a matter of time for Peterson.

Hoot

Hoot said:
>I believe that if he had OJ's legal dream team, headed by Johnny Cochran, in his corner, Peterson would have beaten the rap.<Fantasea

Johnny Cochran was no great lawyer, it was the ineptude of the prosecution that lost the case.
I could've defended OJ against that prosecution and ended up with the same result, and I have no legal background.

Back to Peterson, it doesn't matter whether he gets life in prison or the death penalty.

I've read there is already a "lottery" among prison inmates as to who kills Peterson first. Whoever does, will be considered a hero among their fellow incarcerated.

Peterson has already been threatened with death since he's been in prison.
It seems the inmates do not like baby killers...they can understand and forgive someone killing their wife, but take "contracts" out on baby killers.

Either way, it's only a matter of time for Peterson.

Hoot
You really think you could've gotten OJ off too? I don't know. I was working for the "system" at the time and was appearing in court on a regular basis. I for one was floored when he was found "not guilty." Which as you probably already know is not the same as being found innocent.

As far as it just being a matter of time for Scott. That's more true than most would admit. Our penal system is not one to be proud of in many ways. We throw people into it with little regard for the effect it will have upon them and in the long run ourselves. Granted Scott's not likely to see the light of day ever again. But if he doesn't get the needle he'll be put in a system where he's intermixed with a lot of people who will. It's a system where it's become commonplace, even acceptable, for beatings, robbings and rapes to take place. It's even part of our culture. It's in movies, sitcoms and people joke about it all the time. Can we really expect people who have lived in that situation to ever be able to maintain in a civil society?

Putting Scott out of his misery might be the most civil action we could take. Though I'm not in favor of killing people. Well, except Paris Hilton.

Hoot said:

Why not have come business cards printed. If I ever get into hot water, perhaps I can engage you as part of my 'dream team'. :p

As Samuel L. Jackson said in the movie, A Time To Kill, "Yeah he deserves to die, and I hope he burns in HELL!"

Its not that I'm against the death penalty, but I don't think they should give someone the death penalty based on substancial evidence (although at heart I think that he really did it). After I heard the verdict I realized that a jury is more suscptible to sentincing a white man (peterson) to death without physical evidence showing that he commited the murder, than convict a black man (O.J. Simpson) with physical evidence proving he commited the murder.

I don't care. At all. They publicized this WAY too much.

when a murder is commited there is one more dead body then there should be w/ capital punishment there is 2 nuff said

here is a tidbit for my fellow christians too saul and moses both were killers and they came around to become great prophets im njot advocating letting murderers out i beleive in life without perole but just think on that for a minute......

Jufarius87 said:
when a murder is commited there is one more dead body then there should be w/ capital punishment there is 2 nuff said

here is a tidbit for my fellow christians too saul and moses both were killers and they came around to become great prophets im njot advocating letting murderers out i beleive in life without perole but just think on that for a minute......

With capital punishment there is still only one more death than there should be, the victim. The death penalty is not about getting even. It is not about fixing something. It is about justice. It is a court of justice. Although many people fight this and deny this, I do believe that the laws of this land were built up from the bible. And least we're not stoning them. As for the bible, I'm not sure who you're referring to with Saul. King Saul didn't exactly end up the greatest character, but the only killing I can recall him doing involved battle (different from murder) and trying to kill David (at which point he wasn't exactly a great role model). Saul who became Paul was carrying out the law as he saw it, albeit on innocent victims, but that would be like labelling judges who falsely assigned the death penalty as murderers. As for Moses, again, that was not murder, but defence of the Israelites. There is a very big difference between murder and killing. Murder is always wrong. Killing is not.

first off hes in California on death row, hes got a better chance of dieing of old age waiting to fry. When was the last time a death row inmate axially got executed in that state? second death row inmates spend about 20 to 22 hours a day in their cell, thay aren't mixed with general population, thay don't do any work thay sit in their cell watching TV, and thay have a few hours a day to shower and exercise. He will never be in a situation where he can be taken out by another inmate, when a death row inmate isn't frying their just sucking up tax payer money.

Update:

Source: MSNBC

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - A judge on Wednesday sentenced Scott Peterson to die for the murder of his wife and their unborn child, upholding a jury's recommendation and describing the murders as "cruel, uncaring, heartless and callous."

This man not only took 1 life, but two. What else do you want. How else would you punish him and it be justice? a death for a death. In math, both of them cancle eachother out. Did Lacy or the baby have a choice to live? no! Did Peterson have a choice to kill Lacy or let her live? Yes! Why let this sico live?

satinloveslibs said:
This man not only took 1 life, but two. What else do you want. How else would you punish him and it be justice? a death for a death. In math, both of them cancle eachother out. Did Lacy or the baby have a choice to live? no! Did Peterson have a choice to kill Lacy or let her live? Yes! Why let this sico live?
I agree.

I think it is interesting to note that the other death penalty poll's numbers are way different in comparison. Here it is currently 17 -> 5 for the death penalty. Last I looked the other poll was a close race.

An eye for an eye makes us both blind-Ghandi

Yay!

What difference does it make whether this guy gets the naughty shot or not? Is he a ****? Yes. Should we be a **** right back?

While we're at it why don't we get him pregnant first?

Back
Top Bottom