• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Peter King Defends Border Patrol: ‘Only Two’ Kids Have Died in Their Custody

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.mediaite.com/online/pet...rol-only-two-kids-have-died-in-their-custody/

On Friday, Congressman Peter King (R-NY) seemed to diminish criticism against Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) by saying “only two children” have died this month while in the custody of border patrol after migrating to the United States.

In an interview with Fox News’ Julie Banderas, King was asked for his thoughts on Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen‘s trip to the southern border. This trip comes as the DHS faces outrage over the two Guatemalan youths who died in Federal custody, while receiving medical assistance for their deteriorating conditions.
==========================================
King said the Border Patrol didn't do anything wrong & basically stated that only 2 deaths out of many thousands of refugees were inconsequential.

Quoting King: "“I think it’s wrong to be blaming ICE. They’ve had hundreds of thousands of people that they had custody of over the years, and I think these are the only two children that have died, certainly in recent memory. So, considering all of that and what happens in housing projects across the country, I think ICE has an excellent record and I’d be reluctant to be doing any piling on here right now to make political points with this.”

https://www.mediaite.com/online/pet...rol-only-two-kids-have-died-in-their-custody/

On Friday, Congressman Peter King (R-NY) seemed to diminish criticism against Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) by saying “only two children” have died this month while in the custody of border patrol after migrating to the United States.

In an interview with Fox News’ Julie Banderas, King was asked for his thoughts on Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen‘s trip to the southern border. This trip comes as the DHS faces outrage over the two Guatemalan youths who died in Federal custody, while receiving medical assistance for their deteriorating conditions.
King said the Border Patrol didn't do anything wrong & basically stated that only 2 deaths out of many thousands of refugees were inconsequential.

Quoting King: "“I think it’s wrong to be blaming ICE. They’ve had hundreds of thousands of people that they had custody of over the years, and I think these are the only two children that have died, certainly in recent memory. So, considering all of that and what happens in housing projects across the country, I think ICE has an excellent record and I’d be reluctant to be doing any piling on here right now to make political points with this.”

Again with an insinuation that ICE/Border Patrol is really responsible for the deaths simply because they happened while in custody? :doh

While the children may have died while in "custody," that does not mean ICE was responsible for their deaths.

One child died of liver failure within hours of her family being apprehended, probably due to effects of long-term dehydration while traveling to and into the USA.

The other died of as yet unreported causes related to some infection initially diagnosed and treated by a U.S. hospital as a cold and fever, but might have been some more serious virus resulting in vomiting and death.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46682354

Neither of these deaths appear to be the fault of ICE or Immigration control agencies; as it is very likely that both children would have died anyway even if they had not been apprehended.

IMO King's statements are valid. :shrug:

Last edited:
Well, when all else fails, by all means, sink lower.

#UseDeadChildren

First of all, correlation is not causation. Those taken into custody (by any law enforcement agency) are not dropping like flies because they were taken into custody.

If the cause of death is either completely unknown or not known to have been caused by any maltreatment while in custody then there is no reason to suspect any wrongdoing. Asking King, or anyone else, to comment on their 'hunch' about a situation they have no first hand or even reported knowledge of is ridiculous. King made a valid point - are those placed in public housing "projects" not under government care? If kids get sick and/or die while in public housing is that someone else in government's fault? Were any of these (allegedly abused?) children denied medical care that they would have otherwise received?

Again with an insinuation that ICE/Border Patrol is really responsible for the deaths simply because they happened while in custody? :doh

While the children may have died while in "custody," that does not mean ICE was responsible for their deaths.

One child died of liver failure within hours of her family being apprehended, probably due to effects of long-term dehydration while traveling to and into the USA.

The other died of as yet unreported causes related to some infection initially diagnosed and treated by a U.S. hospital as a cold and fever, but might have been some more serious virus resulting in vomiting and death.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46682354

Neither of these deaths appear to be the fault of ICE or Immigration control agencies; as it is very likely that both children would have died anyway even if they had not been apprehended.

IMO King's statements are valid. :shrug:

If you don't want the responsibility for the safety of children don't take custody of them. Simple. If you take a child into custody you're taking responsibility for their welfare. Spin it how you like.

No one is indicting ICE. Mistakes happen. When they happen with people in our custody, it's our fault.

Yeah, I don't blame the Border Patrol for this. In both cases, BP agents were the ones that noticed the kids were ill in the first place and rushed them to a hospital. At the hospital, the kids were glanced at, given some pills and sent back to BP custody, where they died.

The hospital personnel should be answering some damned questions; the boy died of influenza, yet no tests for flu were given and he was sent back to potentially infect thousands of other kids. The full autopsy results for both these kids won't be "available" for 12 weeks?? On what planet? I think the hospital is trying to cover its ass; Border Patrol agents appeared to be the only ones concerned about the welfare of these two children from the get-go.

Somebody is trying to cover up something, though; but my bet is on Texas authorities and the hospital, since that medical facility is in El Paso. The detention center itself is in New Mexico, so I see hints of "don't sue us, sue them" going on here.

Meanwhile, thousands of kids have been exposed to a deadly strain of flu, all because Trump had to teach immigrants a damned lesson. Gawk! *tearing my hair out*

Correction: they were unable to cover up 2 deaths. Anyone who thinks there aren’t more is a fool.

Those kids died because they spent weeks trekking a thousand miles across a desert with insufficient nutrition, hydration and little, or no hygene, exposed to the elements. They didn't die because they were in border patrol custody.

Yeah, I don't blame the Border Patrol for this. In both cases, BP agents were the ones that noticed the kids were ill in the first place and rushed them to a hospital. At the hospital, the kids were glanced at, given some pills and sent back to BP custody, where they died.

The hospital personnel should be answering some damned questions; the boy died of influenza, yet no tests for flu were given and he was sent back to potentially infect thousands of other kids. The full autopsy results for both these kids won't be "available" for 12 weeks?? On what planet? I think the hospital is trying to cover its ass; Border Patrol agents appeared to be the only ones concerned about the welfare of these two children from the get-go.

Somebody is trying to cover up something, though; but my bet is on Texas authorities and the hospital, since that medical facility is in El Paso. The detention center itself is in New Mexico, so I see hints of "don't sue us, sue them" going on here.

Meanwhile, thousands of kids have been exposed to a deadly strain of flu, all because Trump had to teach immigrants a damned lesson. Gawk! *tearing my hair out*

The father refused medical treatment. That didn't help.

If you don't want the responsibility for the safety of children don't take custody of them. Simple. If you take a child into custody you're taking responsibility for their welfare. Spin it how you like.
Interesting. So, if I beat my child mercilessly with a bar of rebar, and then hand him over to cops right before he dies, can I sue?

Interesting. So, if I beat my child mercilessly with a bar of rebar, and then hand him over to cops right before he dies, can I sue?

If the cops look at him and decide he doesn’t need medical attention despite the obvious trauma? Yeah probably.

Well, then if we cannot blame ICE, we should blame those responsible for this fiasco, Trump and his administration/republicans who agreed with him? Because as stated these kinds of tragedies and problems were not prevalent during previous administrations so it must be this administration who has to foot the bill here.

Well, then if we cannot blame ICE, we should blame those responsible for this fiasco, Trump and his administration/republicans who agreed with him? Because as stated these kinds of tragedies and problems were not prevalent during previous administrations so it must be this administration who has to foot the bill here.

Or perhaps the parents that use their children as bargaining chips... Bringing one child in the belief it raises the chances of being allowed entry.

Those kids died because they spent weeks trekking a thousand miles across a desert with insufficient nutrition, hydration and little, or no hygene, exposed to the elements. They didn't die because they were in border patrol custody.

And yet, haven't we all seen the videos of BP agents gleefully emptying out gallons of water left out in the desert by humanitarians? I just don't understand why any human being would do that, let alone smile and even laugh at the fate of those who otherwise could actually live long enough to reach safety.

Far better to let those people infected just go free without being detained and infect the entire populace. Tear down the hundred of miles of existing walls....you know...that Obama built, that democrats voted for...that NOW they claim are racist. Just allow open borders and let anyone in. Ignore the reality that those detention camps they are being held at were BUILT by the previous administration and housed up to 75,000 kids a YEAR without the first hint of poutrage from the idiot leftists that are suddenly 'woke' and poutraged.

****ing hypocrite leftists.

Reductio ad absurdum. It's the fallacy-of-choice of the right wing. If an issue goes in a direction you don't like it's always possible to reduce it to an absurd extreme and argue against the absurdity.

Or perhaps the parents that use their children as bargaining chips... Bringing one child in the belief it raises the chances of being allowed entry.

Sure, or as is the more rational explanation is that they wanted to take their child to safety from whatever happened in the location where they lived.

Reductio ad absurdum. It's the fallacy-of-choice of the right wing. If an issue goes in a direction you don't like it's always possible to reduce it to an absurd extreme and argue against the absurdity.
:) you know that's not a fallacy, right?

If the rules you propose would produce a ridiculous result, that's no one's fault but your own.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

And yet, haven't we all seen the videos of BP agents gleefully emptying out gallons of water left out in the desert by humanitarians? I just don't understand why any human being would do that, let alone smile and even laugh at the fate of those who otherwise could actually live long enough to reach safety.

Leaving supplies for the illegals only encourages them to to make the trip. Those do gooders probably inadvertantly kill more peope than they save.

:) you know that's not a fallacy, right?

If the rules you propose would produce a ridiculous result, that's no one's fault but your own.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Do you have an example of a rule that can't be reduced to an absurdity?
Also, are you saying that taking custody of a child does not imply taking responsibility for the child's welfare?

You're correct. When border patrol finds people in the desert without food and/or water, the prudent course of action should be to turn them around and march their asses back across the border. Thus avoiding any responsibility. Instead we try to help. How dumb is that?

Both these kids died of something that is not brought on in the time of custody. They were sick, probably terminally, before we "accepted" responsibility.

The parents, and the parents alone, are responsible for these deaths.

Do you have an example of a rule that can't be reduced to an absurdity?
Also, are you saying that taking custody of a child does not imply taking responsibility for the child's welfare?

Can't speak for everybody, but I'll say that.

If i come upon a wreck on the road with a car on fire and a person inside , or someone lying on the ground near dead of thirst, I'll try to help. Does that make me responsible if they die? No it does not.

Back
Top Bottom