• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Peter Jennings dies of cancer

I've been watching Peter Jennings for forever, but I later heard on NBC a year ago that he was fighting cancer.
:hm

Yeah, I heard it this morning on radio.

He was only 70 something. He was also a smoker for years.
Makes me wanna stop smoking again.

A class guy, and the best Canadian import for some time now, he will be missed. I was happy to hear that he finally became a citizen a few years ago, as I always viewed him as a great American.:2wave:

Whether he was the host or did others shows he always showed class, dignity, and an open mind, he will certainly be missed.

Oh God this hurts.
Even though ABC News went with the rest and
followed the trend toward infotainment instead of
hard news I still felt like I was getting a shred of
credibility when Jennings was on.

Last of the Mohicans.

JeffH CHS
http://tinyurl.com/hvdj

Pacridge said:
ABC News anchor Peter Jennings dies of cancer at age 67.

I've always thought that he came across as the most involved of the major news anchors. Much less "look at me" than "look at the story".

What astounded me from everything I heard about Jennings yesterday - he was a high school drop out. I value education and believe that education needs to continue past high school (be it college, trade school, apprenticeship program). But what a remarkable career for someone without the formal higher education. Obviously, he was extremely "self educated" and valued learning.

The other thing that impressed me - he carried a copy of the Constitution in his pocket at all times.

edb19 said:

I've always thought that he came across as the most involved of the major news anchors. Much less "look at me" than "look at the story".

What astounded me from everything I heard about Jennings yesterday - he was a high school drop out. I value education and believe that education needs to continue past high school (be it college, trade school, apprenticeship program). But what a remarkable career for someone without the formal higher education. Obviously, he was extremely "self educated" and valued learning.

The other thing that impressed me - he carried a copy of the Constitution in his pocket at all times.

It was said of Peter, that his living in Beirut and London as a foreign correspondent really added to his credibility. He wasn't just reporting overseas events from NY.. he was living where these reports were coming from.

Peter, for most of my life, was where I got the most important news of the day. The locals newscasts were so full of things that were somewhat ridiculous, that I didn't even bother. It was always when World News tonight came on that I would sit down and drink in the commentary, the images, and at times stood and yelled at Peter because I didn't' agree with his analysis. He was thought provoking, and made me, at least, dig harder to find agreement, or disagreement with a particular issue.

The tribute Charles Gibson did on WNT last night, the empty chair known as Peter's Chair made it all too real. The last of the REAL journalists are gone, in my eyes.

Didn't he only find out in like April? This was way too quick an end.

rudy0908 said:
Didn't he only find out in like April? This was way too quick an end.

There's not really any pre-screening tests for lung cancer, like there is for prostate cancer, breast cancer, etc. By the time lung cancer is caught, it's pretty well advanced, so the practice now is to try to fight it as best it can be fought, but more often than not... 10-12 months is the going prolonging of life they can get after diagnosis. My father has been battling it for over a year now, and the doctor's have said he's a rare exception. It will be 2 years around Christmas time that he got the diagnosis.

debate_junkie said:
There's not really any pre-screening tests for lung cancer, like there is for prostate cancer, breast cancer, etc. By the time lung cancer is caught, it's pretty well advanced, so the practice now is to try to fight it as best it can be fought, but more often than not... 10-12 months is the going prolonging of life they can get after diagnosis. My father has been battling it for over a year now, and the doctor's have said he's a rare exception. It will be 2 years around Christmas time that he got the diagnosis.
Geez...I had no idea that we were behind in the battle against lung cancer. I assumed we had the pre-screening tests, etc., to help find it early.

rudy0908 said:
Geez...I had no idea that we were behind in the battle against lung cancer. I assumed we had the pre-screening tests, etc., to help find it early.

Lung cancer and pancreatic cancer are still the most deadliest cancer's out there, because there is no pre-screening. It's not known they're had until well after the stages have advanced. For instance, pancreatic cancer... MOST patients are already on stage 2 when it's discovered.. it's graded in stages 0-3. So by the time they're finding out, they're nearly terminal.

I believe the staging is the same for lung cancer as well.. But yes, these two are very silent, and the deadliest. I'm hoping that in the coming years, research will be PUT into finding pre screening's, and then let's go about a cure for ALL cancer.

Who cares?!

I have more sympathy for the poor schmuck you slaves away all his life and dies with nothing from some disease because he wasn't a multi-millionaire like jennings and didn't have insurance.

I thought Peter Jennings and ABC News presented one of the more biased programs in the entertainment industry. So I say:

God bless you Peter Jennings, many including myself will miss you. You always had my respect. Agree with you or not you were a class act.
:(

Back
Top Bottom